JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That bill is a great idea. It looks like it only applies to secondhand dealers (ie. pawnshops and shady jewelry stores). The bill appears to exempt coins, ingots, and the like. This is to crack down on those shady shops that continually take in stolen jewelry. Especially those that take in "scrap" jewelry and have it melted down. What is your issue with it?

You have to give all of this info to pawn items in most parts of the country. This bill looks like it is extending those requirements to people who deal in used jewelry as well. It is all about eliminating the market for stolen goods. When Oregon started increasing the requirements to sell scrap metal, metal theft dropped like a rock. This is just the extending the laws that apply to pawned stereos and scrap metal and applying them to jewelry.

Take a gander over at zerohedge and read the commentary and the bill one more time.

My main problem with it is - The continued erosion of basic privacy and the increasing scale of regulation/restriction of commerce.

In addition, the SLOPE - it's slippery.

I understand the issue of stolen property etc, but this is not the way to address it.

That bill is a great idea. It looks like it only applies to secondhand dealers (ie. pawnshops and shady jewelry stores). The bill appears to exempt coins, ingots, and the like. This is to crack down on those shady shops that continually take in stolen jewelry. Especially those that take in "scrap" jewelry and have it melted down. What is your issue with it?

You have to give all of this info to pawn items in most parts of the country. This bill looks like it is extending those requirements to people who deal in used jewelry as well. It is all about eliminating the market for stolen goods. When Oregon started increasing the requirements to sell scrap metal, metal theft dropped like a rock. This is just the extending the laws that apply to pawned stereos and scrap metal and applying them to jewelry.

Pawn Shops have to file paperwork on every item they bring in now so I fail to see how this will change anything? It's none of the governments damn business what I spend my money on. I am a free citizen, I control my life not the government.

I just don't get this mentality of willingly letting the government have control of every aspect of your life. Why do they need to know? Why do you willingly give up control of your rights?

this one is easy...it happened before in the late 20s or early 30s (forget which) and its going to happen again. They are going to know who has the gold and how much then one day when the dollar is going completely to the crapper and is about to become useless, theyll take it all from you and you cant do a thing about it :s0155:

example "Citizen #453-12-5467 purchased $30,536 worth of gold over this time period, time to take it back!"

Read into it whatever you like. I read this law as bringing the "We Buy Gold" shops and unlicensed craigslist fences in line with the requirements already placed on pawnshops. Again, I point out that ingots, coins and the stuff that most gold and silver "investors" buy are exempt. You can buy $20k worth of gold bars and this law doesn't apply to you. You bring in $100 of scrap/stolen jewelry and it does.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top