JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I expect to have to dig into prep supplies for:

• I don't - y'all are nuts

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • A few weeks at most

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • A month or two at most

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Three to Six months

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Six+ months

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
We do our best in replicating what my Grand parents did, canning, smoking, curing, and freezing as much as we can as often as we can! Supplimented with stores of dry goods in large sperated cashes, and we have at least 2 years of solid stores put up! It's not prepping, it's just smart life choices to ensure you have enough to get by for a time! We grow as much as we can, though it seems it's never enough, and we can get most of what we might need locally with out issue until an event takes place, then it all comes crashing down! For us, a good shake is what is expected, so the stores are placed in areas that would survive should the worst happen! It's no good to you if you can't get to it, it gets damaged or destroyed!

Last Edited:
Got all my battery chargers topping things off.
Battery top off. Thanks for the idea.
It's probably a good idea, but it doesn't look like utilities will be a problem, at least not for a while. I was watching a couple videos out of China last night, and it looks like even in Wuhan they still have electricity and running water. Not that you shouldn't be prepared, but it's one good sign, so far...

It's probably a good idea, but it doesn't look like utilities will be a problem, at least not for a while. I was watching a couple videos out of China last night, and it looks like even in Wuhan they still have electricity and running water. Not that you shouldn't be prepared, but it's one good sign, so far...
Your right but its going into spring storm season (lots of wind at my place) and the power company may be short handed, parts may be hard to get etc... It's a good idea in my mind to be set for longer than usual outages.... reminds me to tune up the chainsaw and grab some bar oil...

Your right but its going into spring storm season (lots of wind at my place) and the power company may be short handed, parts may be hard to get etc... It's a good idea in my mind to be set for longer than usual outages.... reminds me to tune up the chainsaw and grab some bar oil...
I agree. Doesn't hurt to be prepared. The repair crews or the area they need to get to could be quarantined, as well. Just pointing out the Chinese still have it going, which is a good sign.

Don't forget the 2-cycle oil.

My personal feeling on the Coronavirus is that it's much closer to national emergency than a serious SHTF type situation. I keep some non-perishable food + water on hand, because I'm aware of the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake being a credible threat to Portland Metro. I've been swinging by Winco last couple of nights adding to the inventory. Also picked up things like extra aspirin, mucus relief(think Mucinex), toilet paper, hand sanitizers, etc.

I have 3M respirator, some surgical masks, but as @Hueco mentioned, I also don't believe they offer complete protection. Looong time ago as a kid in Japan, we were told to wear masks to keep you from spreading cold, I never saw anyone wear masks to keep from catching cold/flu. It might be different today, but just sharing info, because I've actually worn them before. Having said that, reports I've read said it might be possible to catch Coronavirus from touch, but it's spreading mostly by respiratory droplets from coughs & sneezes. Maybe you will be okay with surgical masks & some hand sanitizers. Maybe also eyeglasses.....
What is your experience level with regard to prepping? (new, somewhat knowledgable, experienced, apocalypse survivor)
I like to think I have some knowledge, but very little to no experience other than watching Doomsday Prepper & occasionally "buying" cool prepping stuff at stores, or online.
What is your expected prep for n-CoV19? (While I know that you survivor level guys already have enough shiz to go on awhile, I'd like to know what portion of it you feel may be devoted to this one event)
20~25%, and I don't have much.
What do you think the timeline will be from prep-consuming to back to regular life?
I really can't believe that this will set us back more than a week. Maybe two, three days? Totally uneducated guess though. Perhaps nobody knows for sure.
What are your big prep staples/items (you a freeze dried junky or fresh food kinda guy/gal?)
I've tried freeze dried, MRE in the past & I'm not a fan. I have handful of each, but they'd be truly "survival" food to me. I'll have to be pretty hungry before I open one up. :p I like frozen food, some canned food. They are my go-to emergency food. I also keep lot of snacks around.
Are you preparing to be infected (some of us work at schools or high population centers and it's a fact of life that we may come into contact with the virus)?
I see it as possibility. Extra aspirin & mucus relief I picked up for this. I wasn't really sure what other over-the-counter stuff I may have needed for something like Coronavirus. :confused: If I do catch it, I'm hoping I'll be lucky like that lady from Oregon, stuck on the cruise ship, who suffered mild cold-like symptoms from the Coronavirus.

Again, I have very little knowledge of prepping, situation in China, also Coronavirus pandemic(or is it still epidemic). My "prep" may seem lite for real preppers, but you'd be surprised by so many who are making zero preparations, like Coronavirus is just something seen only on TV.

I agree. Doesn't hurt to be prepared. The repair crews or the area they need to get to could be quarantined, as well. Just pointing out the Chinese still have it going, which is a good sign.

Don't forget the 2-cycle oil.

Just use caution in your comparator. I'd use China as more of a general idea of how things "might" head. However remember they are communist, and will do what they are told to do. They will also take measures which other countries may be far more lax about. They will also only share and show limited and unreliably. There data of the ill and deceased is openly suspect.

Oh, and they do have standard daily power outages particularly in the outreach autonomous zones. Always have though. There were also limited outages in the affected zones recently, which is unusual.

A more decent comparator for the US, IMO, is keeping an eye on more capitalist style countries. Not necessarily Democratic either.

Singapore and Italy, as examples. Both seem to be making swift & responsible decisions. However, again, Singapore is pretty small, with a VERY strict governing system. Kind of surprised at the decent Italian response though.

Watch the goings on in the EU in particular, especially if they as a group opt NOT to close borders. That may be more of an early warning on how thing may go here. Unless they opt to lock down.

Last Edited:
GF tells me her shift at work tonight was loaded with people wearing masks stacking carts and dropping $500 worth on various supplies from cleaners/TP and food. Spent the last hour of the shift non stop ringing up over $1k.

Sounds like some are legit spooked. This is in Washington county

I'm planning on freezer/pantry first (daughter and daughter-in-law to make it edible) probably two weeks or so, then Mountain House freeze dried stuff (2.5 months worth for 7 people). How long total? Depends on who's calling the shots on how long we need to isolate.

More wine than I can shake a stick at, so none of the adults may care how long it continues. I sit in the middle of 10 acres at the top of a ridge, so defensible. I may need to train sentries - but that's a bridge I'll cross when we all (they) see the need.

I'm planning on freezer/pantry first (daughter and daughter-in-law to make it edible) probably two weeks or so, then Mountain House freeze dried stuff (2.5 months worth for 7 people). How long total? Depends on who's calling the shots on how long we need to isolate.

More wine than I can shake a stick at, so none of the adults may care how long it continues. I sit in the middle of 10 acres at the top of a ridge, so defensible. I may need to train sentries - but that's a bridge I'll cross when we all (they) see the need.

You may be behind the curve on freeze dried stuff, if you do not already have stock.

Mountain House itself/Oregon Freeze Dry is currently on order fulfillment delays. Online etailers are mostly out of stock/claiming they might fulfill back orders.

No worries if you are not stocked up, just hit up a cash & carry (or similar) for the basics in bulk. I suggest to do so sooner, rather than putting it off though. YMMV.

Over the last few weeks have stocked up on rice mixes, soups,chili, pasta, oatmeal, canned veggies and a freezer full of frozen goods. Also TP. I fiqure the wife and I are good for at least 6 -8 weeks. Also have a stash of freeze dried camping food from last year. Perishables such as dairy products, fruits, vegetables and bakery goods will be picked up weekly as long as possible. Can substitute tortillas which store longer over bread. For H2O several packs of bottled but mainly just use a Brita filter pitcher off the tap. I can't see the water supply being shut down forcing an entire city out of their homes. Also three vehicles with full tanks plus 30 extra gallons for the Honda Fit grocery getter. FWIW, I was at Fred Meyers 2/28 (Portland Hawthorne) and they still had lots of everything, the shelves were fully stocked. Although if a lot more cases start being confirmed here, Oregon, I can see the panic buying starting up.

Last Edited:
MSM is spreading the message that masks are not needed by the public. I call hogwash. If the medical industry want's to have them for themselves come out and say that, but don't tell us in the same breath they are not effective against mitagating our exposure to others germs.

Here is an example of MSM stating in the same article that the mask won't protect us but the medical community needs them.

"To be clear once again, Americans don't need masks. The CDC says that healthy people in the US shouldn't wear them because they won't protect them from the novel coronavirus."

"But medical workers who treat patients with novel coronavirus do need them. And, the CDC says, it's crucial that those supplies don't run out." (Source: Masks can't stop the coronavirus in the US, but hysteria has led to bulk-buying, price-gouging and serious fear for the future)

I call BS that these mask won't give us some protection against airborne germs. Does this sound like the actions of an Agency procurring an item that is not effective against the virus:

"David Bowman of Phoenix, Arizona, told CNN he'd ordered three respirator masks, which cost him just under $13 each, from Vitality Medical. The medical supply company guaranteed his order would arrive by March 7 at the latest.
But then it was back-ordered until May 29. The notice Vitality Medical sent him said that the CDC had "allocated with our warehouse the item [he] ordered."

Last Edited:
MSM is spreading the message that masks are not needed by the public. I call hogwash. If the medical industry want's to have them for themselves come out and say that, but don't tell us in the same breath they are not effective against mitagating our exposure to others germs.

Here is an example of MSM stating in the same article that the mask won't protect us but the medical community needs them.

"To be clear once again, Americans don't need masks. The CDC says that healthy people in the US shouldn't wear them because they won't protect them from the novel coronavirus."

"But medical workers who treat patients with novel coronavirus do need them. And, the CDC says, it's crucial that those supplies don't run out." (Source: Masks can't stop the coronavirus in the US, but hysteria has led to bulk-buying, price-gouging and serious fear for the future)

I call BS that these mask won't give us some protection against airborne germs. Does this sound like the actions of an Agency procurring an item that is not effective against the virus:

"David Bowman of Phoenix, Arizona, told CNN he'd ordered three respirator masks, which cost him just under $13 each, from Vitality Medical. The medical supply company guaranteed his order would arrive by March 7 at the latest.
But then it was back-ordered until May 29. The notice Vitality Medical sent him said that the CDC had "allocated with our warehouse the item [he] ordered."
Now the Surgeon General is getting in on the N95 mask grabbing game, insisting that they magically only work for healthcare workers and not for us. What a tool!

I'm not doing any extra "prepping" or stockpiling. In fact, might sell some of the extra N96 masks for a huge profit to someone in need but less insightful. Not worried about the virus doing anything extraordinary, not worried about it at all much. Stores might run of of toilet paper, but we have extra already.

Now the Surgeon General is getting in on the N95 mask grabbing game, insisting that they magically only work for healthcare workers and not for us. What a tool!
And again from the CDC, protective mask are not for us common folk: ""There is no role for these masks in the community," Robert Redfield, director of the CDC, told Congress on Thursday, according to The Times."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top