JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK. so I'm a coffee addict and need it daily for life to continue.

So in my effort to prep, this has been a hard one as coffee is spendy when your talking about getting 40+ lbs @ 7+ per/lb, even at costco. This could easily be the most expensive prep item....

so what do you guys do? does anyone prep coffee? anyone have a source for bulk?

I'm afraid ill die in a SHTF situation from coffee withdraws!!!!

I

In an actual survival situation, the mental game is single the most important factor in staying alive. If coffee will help make it more comfortable, then go for it. You will thank yourself if it ever comes to being in that situation.

There are some preperdness outfits that sell coffe beans still green. Easier to store for long periods. You roast them yourself as you need them. The problem is these green coffee beans are in high demand and sell out quick.

SF-

Pretty much the same as above, we also pick up instant coffee (freeze dried) on sale sometimes. Trouble is that the essential oils in the beans or grounds break down and turn rancid even when vacume packed. In my opinion the best for long term is the freeze dried instant! Keep it sealed, cool and in the dark!

I did also think of Coffee as a barter item, as it will be a very rare item... However i will more so need it for my sanity!!

I have thought about the green beans, however then after SHTF, you would have to have a way to roast them, potentially without electricity. So i figured the already roasted, sealed in mylar with o2 absorbers would work...

@sgt Nambu - do you have any reference for the coffee going rancid? or a time frame atleast? 6mo? 18mo?

I already regularly use a french press coffee press, so all i need is a hand held grinder and hot water, its just stockpiling the damn beans thats killing me!! I can get 20 lbs of flour for about the cost of 1lb of coffee!! EEEk!!!!

I

I buy instant maxwell house, walgreens has the 9 ounce containers on sale for $3.99 I then take and put it into a mylar pouch squish it, it compacts to 1/2 the size and I use pouches that hold around 4 ounces, sqeeze teh air out and seal, lasts for yrs and yrs that way

I currently have 6 cans of Don Francisco coffee (about a 2-3 month supply). I'm working my way up to a year supply. I'm pretty sure this stuff will still taste pretty close to the same after a year of being left alone in the can. Once I have a year supply, I will rotate it out. Life is pretty much going to suck after a year of SHTF anyway. Coffee will be the least of my worries.

Even though the stuff taste bad enough to gag a maggot, instant coffee like nescafe might be a good idea. It desolves in luke warm water, saves you fuel and a headache from caffiene withdrawals. I keep about a dozen single serving size packets in my b.o.b and hunting pack

Don't throw away those used grounds!

They will go a "long way" when stuffed (like snuff) between your lip and gums.:s0001:

It took some getting used to but it works! Some of us took it right out of an C Ration & MRE packets; what a buzz!

Lets face it, there won't be a lot of sleeping during hours of darkness (for survivors) and having a little boost without violating smell, noise, and light discipline will help keep a person leaning "forward in the saddle" until dawn.

It will also help to ease any withdrawal symptoms/effects if you do run out.

Freeze dried coffee is my first option to stock up on for dismounted/light living (worst case scenarios).

a french press is a great idea. I have a few but never though about using one for shtf. Instant coffee on the other hand I think id rather go without, although I had some of the Starbucks instant and it was really pretty good.

I dont know about the PDX area, but there is a store in Medford that has all of the coffee, beer, wine, and cheese making equipment and supplies. I know it's nice to roll in and handle equipment before you buy.

I second green coffee and roasting yourself. Could be done over a small fire with a skillet. In PDX, there is a shop called mr green beans (if you want the best quality). They also offer classes on roasting beans. For cheap: Fubon Asian market on 82nd. I have seen plenty of variety there (Kenya AA, yirgacheffe, etc) for pretty cheap. The green beans also keep alot longer than roasted coffee. I would think that in a survival situation, the luxury of single origin coffee might fetch some sweet barter... Considering that it isn't that much more expensive than folgers to begin with (when bought green and roasted as needed). It sure would taste better!

Doesnt help much during a total SHTF situation...

But I love my coffee roaster!!!

Something to keep in mind (and having a roaster I am quite aware of this) when roasting coffee is has a great smell that travels!! and if you are roasting coffee.. Every one around will know that!
good way to make friends...
good way to have unfriendly people find you..
something to remember.

Iceman, I have read and heard 1-3yrs for vacuume sealed Costco type roasted beans. A little less for ground. Once it's opened flavor is going to drop like a paralyzed falcon. I know practically nothing about green beans, but have read about Sweet Annie's a website that sells and has info about them.

PS: Look guys, it's all relative! If you are tired, hungry, cold, sleepy and on watch! What ever! You are not going to care if the coffee is gourmet or freeze dried as long as it is strong and has caffeen in it. I'm lucky, I prefer mine day old and cool, room temp!

PPS: Gehrheart's comment about roasting coffees strong odor, and even brewing odor could make a great bait for an ambush.

Last Edited:
I guess i just love the smell of coffee so much, if forgot how potent it can be, and hadn't thought of the smell traveling and inviting unwanted (or wanted, depending...) guests... This is a very good point to keep in mind..

Has anyone tried roasting coffee in a skillet or coffee can over a fire or stove before? i have looked into buying a roaster and roasting myself, but hear that even those can take a day or so depending on the type of roast desired. So how long does doing it over a fire take?

I have been doing more research on the subject, and i have found numerous sources that confirm what Sgt Nambu stated about the coffee going rancid. It appears that the best, long term storage for coffee is green beans, packaged in mylar with an O2 absorb-er. Apparently, this type of storage can last 10-20+ years.

Then becomes the task of roasting....

The more and more i think about it, it seems that green coffee beans would be a fantastic barter item post SHTF. it would be much like alcohol or toilet paper. Just look at the number of Starbucks around the Pac NW, let alone the lower 48. if that doesn't represent a populous who liketh da coffee, i don't know what does... i remember reading a Forbes article (atleast i think it was forbes) that said that coffee outsells alcohol something like 2 to 1...

I

Doesnt help much during a total SHTF situation...

But I love my coffee roaster!!!

Something to keep in mind (and having a roaster I am quite aware of this) when roasting coffee is has a great smell that travels!! and if you are roasting coffee.. Every one around will know that!
good way to make friends...
good way to have unfriendly people find you..
something to remember.

A little "war story" at Yakima Firing Center from back in the day; I had a bag of Starbucks French roast I had just opened and filled the basket. Without even brewing, the fresh coffee was smelt from about 30 to 40 feet away. Once the coffee was preculating it was smelt at the other end of our battalion. So you figure in about a 5 acre piece of real estate and without a wind of any kind in the high desert, my coffee was everywhere. Just something to think about.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads