JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"It is believed that William DeHayes was showing Hoover, 25, the revolver when it accidentally went off."

Please tell me how the heck a .22 revolver accidentally go's off ?

Sad.. All because of common sense lacking and basic gun safety 101 ignorance. It's been discussed thoroughly on these forums that the mass media jumps onto any negative story involving firearms and runs with it and rarely vice versa. I must say though that Florida residents have made it easy for them these last few years and really help put a negative spin on ccw and firearm privileges as a whole in the general publics eye.....

My friend arranged for her son to go shooting with her boyfriend and posted pictures on fb. The pictures showed the guy and his friends handling guns with their finger on the trigger and the gun off of the target most of the time. Only one out of a dozen pictures did one guy have his finger off the trigger.

Sad and frustrating. If more people were educated in basic firearm safety from a young age, these types of events would be exceedingly rare. Several key safety rules violated. Just another example of poor judgment that leads to more fodder for the anti-gun media outlets.

Sad and frustrating. If more people were educated in basic firearm safety from a young age, these types of events would be exceedingly rare. Several key safety rules violated. Just another example of poor judgment that leads to more fodder for the anti-gun media outlets.

I think the young age thing can not be over stated. Kids pick up things way faster then adults. I started at age 4 and I think that was a perfect age to start my education.

Parents need to teach basic firearm safety and handling as well as a whole ton of other skills that are fading away unfortunately, but that's a different discussion all together.

I think the young age thing can not be over stated. Kids pick up things way faster then adults. I started at age 4 and I think that was a perfect age to start my education.

Parents need to teach basic firearm safety and handling as well as a whole ton of other skills that are fading away unfortunately, but that's a different discussion all together.

My daughter is 7. She's not yet fired a 'real' gun yet, but she's seen them and handled them under my direct supervision, with my hand still on the gun. We talk about them, about how dangerous they are and what to do if she ever finds one or if a friend picks one up. In time, she'll come to the range and start on .22's like I did - all the while learning the safety and respect of firearms.

Florida..land of my birth...has 6 times the population of oregon,roughly,so it stands to reason that any kind of ....anything...will happen there more often than here.. Just sayin'.

stupidity cost this woman her life,and her childs' life.That gun owner was stoopid to the enth degree.

There is much written a bout safety here, and rightly so.
Firearm safety also dictates that one checks the action of any firearm when handed to you, or when you pick one up.

True that there are no "accidental" discharges, but these "unintended" discharges do happen.
Many, many lives are spared every year by making sure the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction.

Like many of us I grew up around firearms, and safe gun handling was ingrained into me by my dad.
Even when handed a gun from a gun shop employee who just checked the action I automatically check the action again...I can't help it, it's an automatic sub-conscience response.

I've taught my boys firearm safety before they could safely shoot a weapon. First rule - never point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy. Second rule - treat every gun as loaded. Third rule - never handle a gun that you can't check or don't know how to check to see if it's loaded or not. Fourth rule - check the weapon to ensure it's unloaded.

...so simple, so basic....

It's amazing that as smart and advanced a species we are, people are mostly killed by people and stupidity.

The one thing my dad and step-dad instilled in me was how dangerous guns are, how you don't get a second chance, and to never point a firearm at at someone you don't want dead.
It has stuck with me like a ton of bricks. I consider myself extremely safe around firearms, but what scares me more than anything is becoming complacent or comfortable around firearms. That's when you screw up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top