Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Preferred Concealed Carry Type / Position

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by boogerhook, Mar 14, 2016.

1. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

I have been playing with different ways to carry concealed and I am wondering what the rest of the world is doing. So here is a little poll. Let me know if I missed an important one. Please share your stories/rationales in the comments and the type of gun you are carrying.

My preferred carry is a snub nose 38+P at 4 o'clock OWB with a thumb break scabbard. I have tried full size 1911s IWB, CZ75 PO7 OWB and IWB (OWB works fine, just a little heavy), and many others. They all work somehow, but I find myself reverting to comfort which is not necessarily the most accurate, the most powerful, nor the one with the most rounds ...

2. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

Mostly, I carry IWB cross-draw. About 10:30-11:00 o'clock position. For me, its the best combination for comfort and concealment. One big exception is driving in the car. In the car, for short trips, I just set the Shield 9mm in my lap. For longer trips, I use a shoulder holster. I wear that between a t-shirt and an outer shirt or jacket. On home property, I sometimes use an Avenger style holster at 3:00 o'clock.

boogerhook likes this.
  3. nammac

nammac I-5 Corridor - West of Portland Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Two major factors in comfortable carry are the belt and the holster itself... Don't skimp on either one, spend money for the best quality you can... You won't be sorry...

Personally carry a Combat Conmander in a Milt Sparks Nexus (horsehide iwb) at the 3 o'clock position attached to a BeltMan horsehide belt... Comfortable, stable, always in the same place, never worry about security...

All day carry, everyday... No issues, no worries, no discomfort.

I've got a bucketful of holsters for that commander, but far and away the most comfortable and concealable is the Nexus... Even beats the Alien Gear Tuck 3.0...

YMMV

Edited - correct the autocorrect spelling...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Ura-Ki, boogerhook and Joe13 like this.
  4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd take a snub nose .38 in my pocket every day of the week then struggle with the comfort of a larger capacity gun personally (if that's your struggle).

Nice thing about pocket carry is you can have your hands in your pockets and shoot without ever drawing the gun (I'm thinking jacket or vest pocket).

I end up with a .22 a lot of times because of the weight and comfort factors (I wear shorts most of the year). I will be adding a small .357mag or .38sp snub nose as soon as I can afford one. Until then I have a 9mm I carry when I'm going somewhere where I feel the .22 will be a disadvantage.

I don't end up in places where I'd want or need a glock 17 or whatever the full size frame is labeled.

I think after 6 shots, one of us will be running scared or I'll be within knife range at which point I'll take a good knife over a high capacity simi-auto. You know those things don't work if you grab the slide;).

5. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Depending on how I am dressed I carry either a 9mm S&W Shield or a .380 Taurus TCP in a wallet holster in my back pocket.

boogerhook and Joe13 like this.
  6. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

Normally, my S&W 642 rides in the front pants pocket of my jeans, in an Uncle Mike's pocket liner every day of the week. I feel like five rounds of +P .38 is enough gun for most emergencies. Sometimes, it's my G26 in an IWB carried at 3:00. When I'm on the road, it's a G21 in a fanny pack on the seat next to me.

boogerhook and Joe13 like this.
  7. ChiefBoatsret

ChiefBoatsret Seattle New Member

I have tried IWB and just do not like it. I bought an avenger style OWB holster that just love, it rides high and close to the body, great for concealment most of the time. I also checked shoulder because yesterday I got my Deep Concealment and have been wearing it under my sweatshirt, totally concealed and really comfortable way to carry. I have a Shield 9 that the holster fits just fine so I see this becoming my edc rig. I know all about the hard to get to and reholster and I will have to practice getting to it. I am not a gunfighter so fast draw is not my forte, I will be backing off and looking for cover while getting to my weapon. I know thats not what a lot of the hard nosed gunslingers like to hear but I am 74, not 20 something full of piss and vinegar, I know my limitations.

Pops1911, Wolf256, ZigZagZeke and 2 others like this.
  8. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I chose pocket carry because.....................hang on! I moved to Florida and its hot as a mother down here in the summer and pocket carry is most comfortable.

I did recently purchase an S&W M&P Shield in 9mm, and love it, along with an IWB holster that I will force myself to use. Got to upgrade that firepower since it appears the streets are becoming more dangerous. So my choice will change to IWB soon.

Wolf256 and boogerhook like this.
  9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Bigger pistols= owb

Smaller= iwb

Usually always at about 3-5 o'clock

10. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I carry a S&W Shield with CT laser and I use a wallet holster by BRAIDS HOLSTERS. You can find on-line and on eBay. Looks like a wallet in your pocket and shows no imprint. Just grab it and slide it in your pocket like a wallet when going out the door. Very comfortable to wear. Can't feel it at all when sitting in a chair or in the car. It also unsnaps for a pocket holster. Makes it really EZ to carry all the time. I love it and I don't leave home without it!

boogerhook likes this.
  11. Trapp

Trapp Portland New Member

Alien 3.0 w/Glock 26 @ 4:30

That being said, I'm going to test out the Scorpion (4corners) @ appendix soon. I like the fit of the gun there best.

boogerhook likes this.
  12. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I carried a CZ-75BD or a 1911 IWB for a long time because the slide on both is nice and slim. However the weight finally got to me. I now carry a Walther PPQ OWB which is easier, but I find the older I get, even that weight is starting to annoy me, but I still put up with it. I just make sure the cover garment is long enough. Even in summer I just wear long loose T-shirts. Not very stylish but as I am an old fart, it doesn't matter much any more.:(

I could never go appendix, even if it is the fastest draw. I know I am not perfect and take that into account with my carry. I'll take the tradeoff on speed, and anything so close that it matters, I'll be using a knife on.

Pocket carry never worked for me. Gun fills with lint, pockets get holes worn in them, and the gun invariably ends up sideways even with a good holster, and finally I already have too much crap in my pockets. I still do it occasionally until I am reminded yet again why I hate it. Maybe if all my trousers had nice strong thigh pockets - but they don't

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    boogerhook likes this.
  13. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My most current CCW is an M&P 9c. I've been IWB carrying it using a N82 tactical holster at about 3-4 o'clock for about 3 years now. Very comfortable, I often can't even tell I have it on. Same rig, same carry year-round. I can wear it with shorts in the summer or jeans the rest of the year. My only qualification is that to carry IWB, I have to have an undershirt tucked in between me and the holster - I've never liked the holster right up against me. Even in summer, if I'm wearing a t-shirt, I'll still wear an undershirt. Helps a bit with comfort from sweating between the holster and the skin too. Took a bit of adjustment to that, but I can pull it off even on the hottest of days.

I've got 2 OWB holsters for another gun, but haven't gone out in public with them - just a personal preference - I prefer to remain concealed. I've tried pocket carry with an LCP, but that just didn't work well for me - very uncomfortable. I've also used a shoulder rig in the past and that also didn't work well for me. IWB with the right holster and gun have gotten me to where I carry each and every day.

Ura-Ki and boogerhook like this.
  14. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

The days have gotten warmer, and I have switched from OWB to pocket with a trigger guard only kydex holster and a lanyard. If my wife can't tell nobody can :)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. dunnghia

dunnghia Milwaukie Active Member

I've been appendix carrying an mp40c lately. I use a Sticky brand holster and a good belt made for carry. I'm thin and don't like baggy shirts, this is about the only way I have found to not print bending down to deal with the rug rats. Works with a t-shirt and shorts too.

boogerhook likes this.
  16. OutlawHoss

OutlawHoss Klamath-Siskyou Well-Known Member

I've been carrying my Ruger P85 just past 3 O'clock in a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. High ride for years now and it is extremely comfortable. It's contoured to fit the Ruger, is high enough that a loose button up, short sleeve Wrangler shirt will cover it, which is my preferred attire in the summer (occasionally a properly placed wind, or bending down like in the market might reveal it, but I honestly stopped caring a long time ago!). It nicely contours around to the back of the hip, and prints pretty insignificantly. I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs, and with broad shoulders, so between the pistol on my right rear hip and a leather mag holster and Gerber Multitool on my left hip, my shirt hangs straight so as to easily drape over my belt and gear. Summer is the only time I have to think a little longer on my attire for ccw, but sometimes I don't bother at all as there is merit, I find, in carrying openly on occasion, for myriad reasons.

17. TM-Salem

TM-Salem Salem Active Member

Since I have not been here 6 months yet I cannot legally carry or even get a permit. I still have a few weeks left before I apply here.

I used to carry my 1911PD IWB at 3 o'clock but lost the IWB holster in the move so I am looking at getting a M&P shield in 9mm (carry same place, 3 o'clock) cant pocket carry because that is the place my knife takes up and if someone is in close.... blade work works better for me.

TM

boogerhook likes this.
  18. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

LC9 in a Fobus OWB at 4 o'clock. I make my own belts. An untucked T-shirt (Carhart makes tall sized shirts that are about 3" longer than normal size) covers it. I almost forget it's there.

19. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Most of the time I pack a Bauer .25 auto (stainless version of a baby browning) I a wallet type holster I made a couple decades ago. Rides in front of my billfold. Had room for a second mag.

I also carry either a Charter Arms Bulldog pug in .44spl. Or a Charter Arms Undercover In .38spl.+P again a holster I made. This time a left side shoulder vertical. With Two speedloaders on the right side.

If i was built differently I would pack my 1911

20. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I had a Beretta .25 that i used to carry in my front jeans pocket. I sold it, and now I miss it. Perfect little hideout gun.

boogerhook likes this.