JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

E-Callers or traditional mouth calls?

• Traditional mouth?

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • E-callers (FoxPro)

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
I spend a lot of time predator hunting and want to take a poll to see what people think here locally. I most use reed and distress calls for 99 percent of coyotes. I am thinking of getting a FoxPro but hate crap that may not work right.

So E-callers or tradition reeds and mouth calls.

I am not great at calling but pretty good and sometimes I will make a mistake and blow it. I have heard that the Foxpro works well with many options. So before I make $400 dollar purchase I wanted to know if anybody likes them.

My only major experience with electronic calls was hunting crows years ago in Kansas. Used a Johnny Stewart caller that used cassette tapes (tells you now long ago that was) and it worked really well. Not sure how that experience transfers to Coyotes, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Im not an avid yote hunter but I have been with guys that used an E caller and it was way to quiet. We ended up going traditional. I am sure that the spendy units are loud enough but I would use the money on something better

Im not an avid yote hunter but I have been with guys that used an E caller and it was way to quiet. We ended up going traditional. I am sure that the spendy units are loud enough but I would use the money on something better

I have had good luck at times. On the other hand I have also made a few mistakes that caused a few or many shots. Turkey and coyotes are the hardest animals I have hunted. The biggest problem is they learn very well. I am leaning for a foxpro but 400 bucks? The damn thing better work well or I guess I could always return it.

I've been using a foxpro for years, I love to hunt coyotes and a E-caller is one more tool to use to get coyotes to come in.
And yes they are worth the money IMHO.

Twodogs

There wasn't a spot for both. I think that each have their place. The Jonny Stewarts on cassette I've heard are awesome...until the tape wears out and I can't find any more cassette players...

But hand callers give that realism.....if I'm a coyote and I hear the IDENTICAL call from 4 different locations...I might think that was odd. But if I hear some variation in a call with some different pitches, frequency and tone.....now I'm getting hungry.

They both have their place....but hand calls are lighter.....

Do any of you have a FoxPro? I am leaning for the FX3 and want some feedback. I have the calls, distress and Knight and Hales, Primos, and others but my favorite is the buffalo horn. But I really hear good things about FoxPro but I don't know anybody that has one. Thanks for all the input.

I've had five differt foxpros i just keep up grading now have a CS-24.
The FX-3 is a great caller and can be had for a great price right now.

Twodogs

I don't have a FoxPro, but the guys I predator hunt with use them religiously! We've killed everything; Bobcat, Yotes, and before the ban on E-calls, we would bring bucks in during the rut.

Price is the only negative in my opinion. Started hunting predators specicfically for about 12yrs. now and I started with reeds, now its 80% FoxPro.

Lots of options with the FoxPro. Also, If you have an I-phone, you can download the same FoxPro sounds and use an external speaker.

Good luck
Mike

I broke down and bought it. Hard to get over the initial shock of the price but it works awesome. Can't stop playing with it. Downloaded 50 more calls for a complete total of 100.

Scott

All the calls have their place. A key is variety and times of year. If dogs have been called much in an area, they need more variety. They will come to either type of call depending on how hungry or how wise they are. I have had them in as close as 6 feet.......lots of fun...

The next step is to try it out in the field and give us a field report!

With pictures of course.. :D

Will do and it will be soon. I will give a full report and pics will follow. This unit is awesome and it freaked my wife out. I hid it in the bushes about 60 yards from the house and she was doing her flower thing and I let the mountain lion rip and she went ballistic. Funny and I almost died laughing and she is still a little P.O.ed. Sounds so real it's amazing. I tested the remote and I had no problems at 400 yards in semi-rough terrain while scouting. Can't wait.

Scott

Looks like a family of wolves has been "confirmed" in Oregon in Wenaha unit by ODFW. Idaho has about 780 in 80 packs. They will be over here in larger numbers in a few years and we will probably follow the other states in issuing special hunt tags at some point.

Used my FoxPro while out last Sunday and I cannot say anything but WOW. Called in 7 different dogs from about 10 blinds but I was just scouting. It's football season for my son so I was trying to find some place close to home because games are on Saturday's. So next post will be with pics. Some had some bad mange though so looking forward to helping them out. I also tried calling with traditional calls vs. Foxpro and Foxpro wins. Stay tuned.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top