JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The area between Dallas, Monmouth, and Falls City seems to have too many mountain lions.

We live close to Monmouth, and see lions - or their sign - fairly regularly. One was accidentally killed on my place a few years back, when it got caught in a coyote snare.

I remember a conversation from last year about the mountain lions' behavior, and how it's changed since the days when they were being hunted with dogs.

This theory was being discussed: In those days, the lions had learned that humans and their dogs were trouble, and avoided people if they could. But several generations of lions has come and gone since those days, and they have lost some of their fear of humans and dogs.

That makes sense to me.

There is a mother lion with four grown (or almost grown) cubs in the area this year. Counting the father (if he's still around), we have at least six lions living around us now.

Today, my wife showed me this post on Facebook. This report supports the notion that the lions have lost their fear of humans.

Brittany in Falls City
January 12, 2020

Last night around 830 my brother went out to start his car and heard some really terrible sounds he came in to get my boyfriend so they could check it out. It was dark and all they had was phone lights and at first they thought they seen 2 large dogs attacking my neighbors pony as they got closer my brother yelled at what he thought was the dogs trying to get them to stop to his surprise it was 2 cougars killing a deer practically right in my yard after my brother yelled one of the cougars started to walk towards my boyfriend and brother and was thankfully distracted bu the deer getting away from the second cougar i doubt the deer made it i dod report it and a cop came and spotlight my road for a while last night. I live on lombard one cougar went towards the trailer park and the other towards AKHA farms bring your fur babies in at night and take caution walking these roads they did not act scared of humans at all.

I've been thinking of getting one of those electronic lures that's supposed to call the predators in. Do any of you have experience with those devices? Any recommendations?

I'd like to thin the mountain lion population a bit, and get some more lion meat.

I grew up in Sisters when people thought hiking with llamas was a good idea. It isn't.
Back then Richardson's Ranch had a huge issue with lion sightings and attacks on their place.(First major breeder in US)
I knew a few dedicated lion hunters who swore by scent bait. Llama and Alpaca scent. He would collect all the shorn wool and trimmings - and then cut it up in a blender. Apparently it worked. Well. Too well. Suffice it to say - you don't want to keep trash bags of blended llama wool in your garage - when you border Three Sisters Wilderness.

So... an electronic predator call, a bag of llama hair, and a refrigerator box...

Got it. This is going to be easy.

A8442955-EF4B-4B88-A733-06581F02EB73.jpeg

I remember a conversation from last year about the mountain lions' behavior, and how it's changed since the days when they were being hunted with dogs.

This theory was being discussed: In those days, the lions had learned that humans and their dogs were trouble, and avoided people if they could. But several generations of lions has come and gone since those days, and they have lost some of their fear of humans and dogs.

^^Yes. Animal attacks on humans have increased. Some of this is habitat encroachment, but there is also research to suggest the animals are teaching their young that humans are dangerous.

We have a guy here in the shop from Aumsville and he was telling us there is at least one (1) known Mountain Lion in that area as well.

Just an offer but if you need help on a weekend I'd be happy to offer up a extra rifle. :D

Thanks. I just might do that.

We have a stand of young timber on our place, and whenever there's a light snow on the ground it's fun to go look for tracks. Everything shows up very clearly, even little bird tracks.

A few years back, I tracked a lion up into a corner of that stand of trees. Very easy to follow in that dusting of snow. I was carrying a single-action .44 revolver, and realized at some point that I was standing in a thicket where I would only get one shot if the thing came after me. I decided to leave him alone, and went back to the house.

It's harder for me to walk that far nowadays, but I might give it a try next time we get a bit of snow. Having a few other hunters could work, to drive the beast out into the open. But I'll probably just use a predator call to try and lure one out.

....Which is a rambling way of saying, having another hunter or three involved might be a good thing. I appreciate your offer.

Last Edited:
Most all their local hunting is on Weyerhaeuser land in the Mist area.

Those boys are an example of no TV or video games and a good wholesome upbringing. Their dad had them in the woods since they were born and all 3 boys and one of the girls really took to it. It's been fun watching them grow up. Dillon's quite the musician (most of them play something), I can hear him sometimes from up here. He walks the back logging road playing bagpipes sometimes, the kids think it's a hoot. Doesn't hurt dad's a pretty competent gunsmith and builds most of their guns. He helped me build my 6mm SLR.

We have a cat here in Salem near the airport, big sucker by the size of the tracks I have seen, my Neufy usually doesn't bark, but he sounded off the other night, scared the snot out of me, snapped on the light, grabbed the pistol and flash light and went out the side door just in time to see a big cat sniffin the BBQ from the evenings dinner! I'm inside the city, so snapping off a shot wouldn't have been good unless the cat attacked!
I called the Sheriff's office and they sent two cars and checked the area while the ODFW sent a dude to check it out! They took photos of the tracks and told me it was a big tom by the size of those tracks! The Sheriff's deputies told me unless the cat attacked me or the dogs, that I shouldn't shoot, but didn't tell me NOT TO! ;)
1580277655252.png

We have a cat here in Salem near the airport, big sucker by the size of the tracks I have seen, my Neufy usually doesn't bark, but he sounded off the other night, scared the snot out of me, snapped on the light, grabbed the pistol and flash light and went out the side door just in time to see a big cat sniffin the BBQ from the evenings dinner! I'm inside the city, so snapping off a shot wouldn't have been good unless the cat attacked!
I called the Sheriff's office and they sent two cars and checked the area while the ODFW sent a dude to check it out! They took photos of the tracks and told me it was a big tom by the size of those tracks! The Sheriff's deputies told me unless the cat attacked me or the dogs, that I shouldn't shoot, but didn't tell me NOT TO! ;)
View attachment 654770

Thats what 300 blk suppressed pistols are for!!!:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top