JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Going to try some new ammo in that rifle in the next few days, and see what I need to get the sights dialed in. Probably dial it in at 25 yards and work out my clicks for 50 yards.

I have invested more in ammo testing than I paid for the gun ! The ammo is the killer in Rimfire competition , as the only thing we can do is weigh each round on a good Hornady scale and measure rim thickness. Then hope the powder charge and primer are consistent.
Every Lot # is different and the Most consistent weight ammo I ever weighed was Geco Bolt action rifle .22lr. as in 1200 rounds weighed it only varied .3gr low to high and Sadly, RWS 50 ,RWS Special Match, Lapua Center X, Eley Match, Wolf MT all varied as much as 1.3gr in a 50 round box which really is terrible quality control for that High priced ammo.
When I talked to The President of RWS about this he said the GECO was made on new machines and was amazed when I told him it outshot the RWS Expensive stuff.
What RWS did next was comical... They changed Lube on the Geco ammo and put it in a new "GECO MATCH Ammo" Box !

Last Edited:
Four different types of ammo today.

Winchester Super-X varmint 40 gr Std. Velocity

Norma Match 40 gr

Federal Gold Medal Match 40 gr

Winchester Super-X 40 gr High Velocity

The best group of the day came with the Norma Match, but all the ammo grouped well. Just shot 50 feet at the standard NRA small bore 50' target.

Next comes getting the gun off the bench and getting my positional shooting back in order, which is why I got this gun in the first place...

22A4CC35-7CB7-4C59-884A-EF83FCA0807D.jpeg

Took my 10/22 out to play today along with a model 41 Remington Targetmaster, Rang some steel and broke a few clays. Rimfires are fun, and accurate ones are addictive. Why do the voices in my head keep saying it's time for some Vudoo
022B700C-3935-4E73-A39C-F3C033EBAF7D.jpeg

I was perusing the Anschutz website. Anyone for a toggle action tack-driver? A cool $4,695 will get you some rimfire precision. Yes, I know that you can get a 10-22 to shoot as well for 1/4 of that, but still...

View attachment 526932

The 10-22 might shoot as well as the Anschutz but the shooter won't. The Anschutz can be fine-tuned to the shooter much more closely than the Ruger can be--unless, of course, you totally rebuild the Ruger to get the shooter fitting up to par.

'Kay, this here is the rifle I used in post #56 - my $50 Anschutz Model 1409 from 1963.

upload_2019-1-11_20-49-18.png

Mind you, it sure as h*** didn't look like that when I found it in a damp ol' gun safe in the bowels of the cellar armoury.

Anshutz is great. Both my CZ's are shooting well. I have a Leupold 6x20x40 EFR on my PVT with the 24 " barrel. My 452 sporter has a Leupold 3x9x33 ultra light that needs to be mounted. I have been shooting it to 220 yards with a 6x24x40 Weaver on a 20 moa rail. I am working on getting the PVT broke in.

My friend has a Kimber Varmit "super American" ?

Can't remember the model, it has a fluted bbl beautiful stock, classic style.

He says we got to put 12 rounds thru it before it "shoots".
1 1/2". Till 12 shots then at 50yrds I put 5 Eley Rem. Into a 3/8ths " group.
My fault it wasn't a single hole. 20x power scope.

I felt like I could have shot house flys at 50yrds.

This may be due to lining the barrel with the wax residue that coats the inside of the barrel. I haven't got to that point yet. It sure would be worth the effort to get groups like that.

Was at Cabelas the other day to pay my credit card bill. I use their card to build up points and pay it off each month. Then when I want some toys or ammo it's free. I looked at .22LR ammo for my Cody Ballard rifle. It's a Badger match barrel, and it likes most standard velocity, but some better than others. I saw they had Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity for $2.99 a box, and $24.95 a brick of 500! That's down where cheap bulk ammo is, so bought a few bricks of it. Or should I say Cabelas gave me 3 bricks since the points paid for it?
Took some out to shoot in my Supermatic Citation, and the Ballard, and both shot it very well. Might have to go back and see about a price on a 5,000 rd. case?

f9iG0e4m.jpg

Sako P94s upgrade in process;
Starting point:
5B11F81D-049E-4542-80D6-E50731BA239E.jpeg
1. Shorten to 18"and thread barrel
CF1829E4-5AD3-4CBA-B575-78F8B352B0FE.jpeg
CB7B79E8-7FFD-423A-AED5-A02185F820E2.jpeg

2. DIP 25 MOA rail
624A1E7C-6366-4175-B76C-CFB2F4C00840.jpeg

3. Athalon Midas Tac 6x24 APRS3
679FCF9A-61D7-44F1-B88B-97A85C2EC409.jpeg

4. Ammo Testing

5. Practice

6. NRL 22 match

To be continued

Last Edited:
Many more detailed pictures would be appreciated, please.

Sorry for the slow reply. This forum began to reject my email address for whatever reason, and I had to start a Gmail account and change my email to that to get things working again.

My Ballard is the Custom Schoyen Model built in early 2001 at Ballard Rifle Co. in Cody, Wy. No longer in business as they sold the company in 2008 and then closed their doors.
It has MVA midrange vernier tang sight, with Hadley eye cup, and a Baldwin globe front with spirit level. It's also set up for a target scope with Unertl bases at 7.2" apart, and I have a 20x Lyman Super targetspot scope I use sometimes.

Barrel is a #4 weight Badger full round, 30" long. Stocks are presentation grade Turkish walnut, with Schoyen buttplate, and Neal Rice Schoyen palm rest. 22 LPI checkered. Ball and spur lever with walnut filler in the loop. Equipped with Ballard double set triggers.
If I do my part the gun will shoot under 3/4" at 100 yds. with good ammo for 10 shot strings.

ktRpmGOl.jpg

vAKZ4JEl.jpg

00HBRetl.jpg

EWEAFb1l.jpg

0q9SID7l.jpg

Sorry for the slow reply. This forum began to reject my email address for whatever reason, and I had to start a Gmail account and change my email to that to get things working again.

My Ballard is the Custom Schoyen Model built in early 2001 at Ballard Rifle Co. in Cody, Wy. No longer in business as they sold the company in 2008 and then closed their doors.
It has MVA midrange vernier tang sight, with Hadley eye cup, and a Baldwin globe front with spirit level. It's also set up for a target scope with Unertl bases at 7.2" apart, and I have a 20x Lyman Super targetspot scope I use sometimes.

Barrel is a #4 weight Badger full round, 30" long. Stocks are presentation grade Turkish walnut, with Schoyen buttplate, and Neal Rice Schoyen palm rest. 22 LPI checkered. Ball and spur lever with walnut filler in the loop. Equipped with Ballard double set triggers.
If I do my part the gun will shoot under 3/4" at 100 yds. with good ammo for 10 shot strings.

View attachment 549755

View attachment 549756

View attachment 549757

View attachment 549758

View attachment 549759
Wow very cool piece!

Thanks!
A close friend had this gun built and not long after passed away. I am more into original Marlin Ballard offhand rifles (schuetzens) but I couldn't pass this one up as it was such a great gun.

I don't have a photo of my Anchutz .22 WMR with set triggers. The photo below is very close to what I have, though. I've had my Anschutz for 55 years. Bought it at age 12 for about $150 from (where else?) The Gun Store in Klamath Falls. My dad was in the store, but as far as I know, he didn't have to give permission (might have winked at the sales guy!).

Accuracy? It took out hundreds of marmots and other varmints in eastern Oregon at measured distances up to 150 yards. Never scoped. My technique was to set up prone and take one or two shots at the top of a marmot mound where I saw them popping up. Adjusted aim as necessary to just skim the top of the mound. Then I waited to shoot until a critter popped up and had most of its body above the top of the mound, because I needed to be able to recover it and take the tail. I often did a deal with ranchers for a nickel a tail, and made five bucks (that's 100 tails) on a good day. With ammo prices being what they were in 1960, I eventually earned enough to buy my first deer rifle (.308 Savage 99).

View attachment 524382

I sold the rifle to a friend to pay for books in college, with an agreement that if he ever wanted to sell the rifle, to call me first. About 10-12 years later, he called and I bought it back for the same $150. I see they're going for $600 to $1200+ these days.

Nice story and you have a pretty rifle!

Good shooting to you.

Cate

image.jpeg I have a couple stainless CZ 455s, a .22lR and a .22 Mag. I bought them as a $$ saving exercise as I like to shoot a lot and am retired so ammo cost is a concern.
I also like shooting steel with my center fires at extended ranges and after sighting in the Leupold 2-7x and 3-9x rim fire scopes on these, got bored with punching groups at 50 yards. Granted the groups were well under 1/2" at 50 yards but to me, shooting paper, relatively close, is boring.
I contacted the AR500 target maker that I bought my cf targets from and he had just the thing. 2" target surface miniature gongs! Now granted, these may not be considered " precision rifles" like the Anschutz and higher-end rifles above but I hang the targets at 100 yards and am able to make a satisfying CLINK!!! consistently. Much better than punching holes and any squirrel or blue grouse I can see is meat in the pot.( I hunt out of state on a ranch, btw).
They also work on my back acre with CCI Long CB caps...
This works a "precision" for me...

Regards,

ezra

My main pleasure in life revolves around .22 rimfire rifles and handguns, especially those that are less worthy of being labeled as "target' rifles. Here is what I have found when dealing with a CZ455FS rifle that has received a Yo-Dave trigger spring kit and a pillar bedding:
lZkxsOUl.jpg
This rifle has quite an affinity involving Norma TAC 22 ammunition at 35 meters:
irwXu3ql.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads