JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So with silver, is it a good thing to buy low, sell high, repeat?

Silver is the most volatile market on the planet. Don't trade (buy, sell, repeat) unless you are a top-notch trader. Non-traders will do much better accumulating on a consistent basis, and holding for the duration of the bull market.

Well not to long ago it was going for about $10, now it is up to $30. If I would of put $5k into silver, I'd of made $10k profit right now? Cash out, wait for silver to drop again, repeat. How is that not a good idea?

Well not to long ago it was going for about $10, now it is up to $30. If I would of put $5k into silver, I'd of made $10k profit right now? Cash out, wait for silver to drop again, repeat. How is that not a good idea?

To be successful you will need to correctly identify future highs and lows. If you can come up with some technical indicators that consistently and effectively do that please share them :D. A major risk is being out of the market if it suddenly takes off to the upside when you are out of your position.

If you are thinking about trying it you might want to practice on a simulator first (for a few months maybe?). A good one is:

Investopedia.com - Your Source For Investing Education

Join one of the games and trade SLV as if it was your bullion position. (But don't forget to factor in the buy/sell spread (about 10%) that you would have to deal with if you were holding/trading the actual physical metal instead of a silver ETF.)

I myself think that $1,400 gold is at the highest its going to be. I should sell now and buy later when it drops down again.

The problem is, I also thought gold was at its high in 2007 at $700 when I sold an ounce to finance an antique telescope and again in early 2009 at $900 when I sold two ounces to finance a rifle purchase.

Basically, I can't predict squat and I know it.

Keith

I myself think that $1,400 gold is at the highest its going to be. I should sell now and buy later when it drops down again.

The problem is, I also thought gold was at its high in 2007 at $700 when I sold an ounce to finance an antique telescope and again in early 2009 at $900 when I sold two ounces to finance a rifle purchase.

Keith

Haha!! Same here. Back in the day I bought gold for y2k. some of you remember how cheap it was then and it's very, VERY hard for me to buy it now days at the prices it's at. I did sell one oz. 18 months ago @ 1,000 to buy a 223 can (the oz. of gold paid both the price of can and stamp)

Keith

My Crystal ball doesn't work very well either, but a lot of people who's opinion I respect say gold/silver much, much higher in the coming months. I will buy all the metal I can afford as fast as I can for a while yet. I already have a good pile of food and supplies, so metal it is.

To be successful you will need to correctly identify future highs and lows. If you can come up with some technical indicators that consistently and effectively do that please share them :D. A major risk is being out of the market if it suddenly takes off to the upside when you are out of your position.

If you are thinking about trying it you might want to practice on a simulator first (for a few months maybe?). A good one is:

Investopedia.com - Your Source For Investing Education

Join one of the games and trade SLV as if it was your bullion position. (But don't forget to factor in the buy/sell spread (about 10%) that you would have to deal with if you were holding/trading the actual physical metal instead of a silver ETF.)

The discussion at this link applies especially to silver:

Why I no longer have Apple options and stock | The Mac Observer Forums

The discussion at this link applies especially to silver:

I love it when I read discussions between Apple/Google folks about moving into metals! The third leg of any bull market is the leg where the most profits are made. It is the "mania stage" - the leg where the public jumps in and drives a market to incredible heights (internet mania, real estate mania, etc.). We are not yet at that stage (public does not own metals, or metal-related stocks), but discussions like that suggest it will come.

I love it when I read discussions between Apple/Google folks about moving into metals! The third leg of any bull market is the leg where the most profits are made. It is the "mania stage" - the leg where the public jumps in and drives a market to incredible heights (internet mania, real estate mania, etc.). We are not yet at that stage (public does not own metals, or metal-related stocks), but discussions like that suggest it will come.

That discussion is among some of us who have made a LOT of money in Apple stock. In that thread, SNIPUS is a friend of mine who got into Apple when I did in 2003 at around $15 pre-split. We each had about $15K to invest. The shares I bought for an equivalent $7.50 are now at $320. Along the way both SNIPUS and I dabbled in Apple options as well, bringing home some 20 and 30 baggers. SNIPUS' at one point borrowed against his house to buy options (super scary) and his account is now in the 8 figure range. I'm only at the almost 7 figure range. These are some experienced and savvy people. If they are getting in, then it's not yet too late.

SNIPUS' at one point borrowed against his house to buy options (super scary)... I'm only at the almost 7 figure range. These are some experienced and savvy people. If they are getting in, then it's not yet too late.

This is going to be FUN! :s0155: Started building positions in late 2001 (trade some, but mostly focused on building positions in explorers and junior developers). Seems like I have been waiting forever, so am definitely looking forward to the mania stage. Don't think I will borrow against the house to increase positions though! :eek: Liked seeing Silver Wheaton mentioned in the discussion - shows people are looking beyond ETFs and are becoming interested in companies (better for me).

Guess I didn't have to rant about AU/AG being a better investment than firearms. ;)

Heh heh. Except for the brief website pitch at the end, and the horrible computer 'accents', the video embedded in this link is quite clever.

J.P. Morgan and the Great Silver Caper

I wouldn't mind seeing these b*trds as JP get theirs'. "No, you are a sheeple. Pbbth :s0114: ."

Keith

:s0114: I've been skeptical that JPM could actually get buried by taking enough physical off the market, but that certainly would be fun to see. Hope it happens. Either way, the current surge of Jamie Dimon and JPM, er, "publicity" is funny as h**l.

You probably have seen the latest Jaime Dimon Hitler Bunker one, but for those that missed it, it is worth a view. Warning though - it contains adult themes. :s0114: Google "max keiser vs. jamie dimon."

If you bought it in the '80s when it was over $50 per ounce, you would be at a $20 loss right now.

My crystal ball broke when I moved. Can I borrow yours?:s0114::s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top