JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Standard Book of Winchesters, 3rd Edition, is also 3 1/2 years old now and the used firearm market is now cold. I am not fluent on collectible Winchester sale prices but even if this one is factory original I doubt buyers would be shelling out more than 700. Especially because of the family history I recommend keeping it.

Sorry everyone been really busy and haven't been able to get back to any of you. My grandpa gave it to me and it is in fact pre Korean War 64 Winchester model 70 .257 Roberts was my grandpas fathers and bought the gun for $7.50 a long time ago.

Sorry everyone been really busy and haven't been able to get back to any of you. My grandpa gave it to me and it is in fact pre Korean War 64 Winchester model 70 .257 Roberts was my grandpas fathers and bought the gun for $7.50 a long time ago.

When people refer to model 70's as "pre war", we are referring to world war 2. Not the Korean war. Again, what is the serial #? Looks like we are getting somewhere, as my first assumption is probably right. Im also standing by my first guestimate in serial # range. Let us know, when you can. A true "pre war" is more desirable and collectible to the diehard model 70 collector. People jumping on the band wagon giving you book value, based on the assumption that it is a pre war, may be giving you wrong information. The only way you are going to know the true value is you need to provide the correct information.

Last Edited:
When people refer to model 70's as "pre war", we are referring to world war 2. Not the Korean war. Again, what is the serial #? Looks like we are getting somewhere, as my first assumption is probably right. Im also standing by my first guestimate in serial # range. Let us know, when you can. A true "pre war" is more desirable and collectible to the diehard model 70 collector. People jumping on the band wagon giving you book value, based on the assumption that it is a pre war, may be giving you wrong information. The only way you are going to know the true value is you need to provide the correct information.
Understandable

One thing about it, pre war or not, It looks like a very nice rifle and the op knows some of the history on it. If grandpa is still alive, I'd be asking him questions like what hunts he remembers with this rifle and see if maybe he has some pics of the rifle with critters he's taken. I'd cherish a rifle like that and pass it down to my kids. It will last many generations. These rifles were made right. Funny thing is I haven't even asked about the m1917 he got from his grandpa, as that is my all time favorite right there... :D

Your serial # has too many digits. Could you fix it and let us know what it is. Thanks.. I'm still trying to figure out what year it was made. Like I said in one of my first posts, it appears to be a transition rifle. Not "pre war".. Picture is pretty fuzzy though...

Your serial # has too many digits. Could you fix it and let us know what it is. Thanks.. I'm still trying to figure out what year it was made. Like I said in one of my first posts, it appears to be a transition rifle. Not "pre war".. Picture is pretty fuzzy though...
On the link a guy on here posted I put in the number and it said it was a 1964

On the link a guy on here posted I put in the number and it said it was a 1964
That's why I'm saying you put in the wrong serial #. It has too many digits. It is obvious that it was NOT made in 1964. It's a low comb, transition safety lever, CRF. They didn't make those in 1964. He was correct in the fact that you listed the wrong numbers.. That's also another reason I critiqued some of the guys throwing out book values when they didn't even know when it was made. You aren't going to know the real value of the rifle, if you don't throw out the correct serial #, so we can tell you when it was made. Pre war rifles are generally more valuable and desirable to collectors, but like I said before, it's not even a pre war. Does this make sense?

Last Edited:
That's why I'm saying you put in the wrong serial #. It has too many digits. It is obvious that it was NOT made in 1964. It's a low comb, transition safety lever, CRF. They didn't make those in 1964. He was correct in the fact that you listed the wrong numbers.. That's also another reason I critiqued some of the guys throwing out book values when they didn't even know when it was made. You aren't going to know the real value of the rifle, if you don't throw out the correct serial #, so we can tell you when it was made. Pre war rifles are generally more valuable and desirable to collectors, but like I said before, it's not even a pre war. Does this make sense?
Yeah makes sence my just going off what my grandpa told me which he knows for fact was pre war but I'll look at the other numbers and post a pic for you to see.

The 64613 number is on the Rifle and the Bolt. Hope this helps!

9EE41680-7C29-4ECB-BF79-6506ED7605DF.jpeg 1A8F5040-71D4-45AA-9E09-88C94B2DDED9.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top