JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A subject that often comes up here is the necessity of checking your new 'old' purchase as soon as you can get to it, just in case it might be loaded, and often finding that it is. This is nothing new, as I discovered last evening, while looking through my copy of Charles E Hanson Jnr's epic text book from 1960 - 'The Plains rifle'. One thing that IS rare, however, at least from reading here, is the TYPE of load hidden inside that old gun.

On page 115, he notes 'One of the first steps in cleaning up the gun should be in the barrel. One old gun of 1840 vintage passed through the hands of several collectors in Nebraska before one of them took the time to unload it. The load was found to consist of a naked ball well corroded in and a potentially fatal charge of 120gr of smokeless powder!'

There is little doubt in my mind that letting that off would probably result in a trip to a local mortician, either for the shooter, or an unfortunate bystander.

He continues at some length to describe the necessity of replacing parts, it needed, with as near identically-aged components. This is something that is often stressed here, when posters asking how far they should go with either a restoration or re-activation.

In general, it remains one of THE most important and useful tomes that any keen collector should have on his shelves, although, TBH, there is little use for it here in UK. I do take it over with me when we visit with friends in OR, especially when visiting 'The Gun Works' in Springfield OR, where the late and much-missed Joe Williams and I would yack extensively about old guns.

You up again? Andy, old flún, I confess that I'm worrit about you, Sir.

1609936238453.png

I have come across two old guns that were loaded when I got them.

One...was "old" as in it was a 1960's / 70's copy of Colt 1851 Navy revolver.
I knew it was loaded when I got , so no big deal.
The revolver was last loaded and stored about 10 years before I got....all six chambesr went off when I shot it.
4 went off with the first cap , two took two caps.

The other was a old rifle the same vintage of the rifle in the OP.
No one knew until I dropped the ram rod down the bore.
After I got the rifle , I was able to pull the ball and charge , so it was a easy fix.

But , good advice for sure , always check to see if the firearm is loaded and never assume that the powder is appropriate both in type and charge.

As far as me being up and awake , just always been an early riser , plus someone needs to keep an eye on the hooligans on the forum ...:D
Andy

Well, I told you about the P53 that was on the wall of one of our local pubs? I was there having luntzh when they took it down, and I casually asked if it was loaded, hahahah, suggesting that they checked before repainting the wall and putting it back.

How do we do that? I was asked. Simples, spoge I, just take out the ramrod and put it down the barrel until it stops, then compare that with the external length. Taking it outside [it was a nice sunny day] the landlord gingerly poked the ramrod down the barrel and clamped his fist down at the muzzle. It was about four inches short of the nipple.

Whoops.

I got him to stand it vertically in the nearby shed while and I went home to get my tools, including a worm and a small twist drill brazed on the end of a range rod. The idea was that you used that to drill a hole in the ball or whatever, and then used the coarser screw to engage the ball and haul it out, if possible.

No ball, then, just paper in a VERY compressed wad. Loosening it up, we found that it was dated 1897, the year of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. Probably loaded up and fired, and then loaded up, and then, uh, un-fired. The eighty or so grains of BP went off like it was made yesterday.

I've had two. One was brought to me to unload it. It had been shot, loaded, and then put away about 12 years before and it was a mess! Pulled the nipple and started introducing water to the powder and some PBlaster down the bore. Turned out to be a "naked ball" as well, and when I clamped it in the vise it came out quite easily. But in cleaning it I filled the breech area with more PBlaster and it was seeping out around the breech plug. I cleaned it up, oiled the stock, oiled the barrel , made it look good and told the guy to hang it on the wall and NEVER try to shoot it.
The other I bought and I THOUGHT it was loaded. Turns out it had not been cleaned and there was so much rust and corrosion in the breech that it APPEARED to be loaded. That took a new barrel, there was no saving it.

"But , good advice for sure , always check to see if the firearm is loaded and never assume that the powder is appropriate both in type and charge."

At the MRC Hunter Sight-in I was standing right behind a guy when his muzzle loader blew up. He had loaded it with Tite Group. Ooops! It was a most spectacular KaBoom, thankfully with no injuries. They no longer assume that people who shoot front stuffers probably know what they're doing.

"But , good advice for sure , always check to see if the firearm is loaded and never assume that the powder is appropriate both in type and charge."

At the MRC Hunter Sight-in I was standing right behind a guy when his muzzle loader blew up. He had loaded it with Tite Group. Ooops! It was a most spectacular KaBoom, thankfully with no injuries. They no longer assume that people who shoot front stuffers probably know what they're doing.

'Well, it was black, wasn't it?..........................................'

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top