JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks Orygun.

is it possible to align that rear sight side to side? Mine is cocked to the right side which forced the front sight to be set to the right as well. Or is the sight locked to that position by the mount?

Good advice Andy. So what about the sight hood? There's one on ebay right now bid up to something like $50. Seems like a lot for a spring steel hoop.

Or is the sight locked to that position by the mount?
Its not 'locked' but may be tight and slightly rusted and will need to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled in proper alignment.

A section of round brass rod about a 1/2" in diameter, with flat ends makes a good sight punch, but a small block of hardwood sometimes works as well providing the sight is not really tight. I also have some blocks of UHMD plastic that work very well and leave no marks on the sight base.

My experience has been older rifles rear sights come out easier than newer ones I have worked on.

Typically I support the rifle in my lap on a towel, position the punch on the LEFT side of the sight base and give it 'medium' hammer strike and look at the sight for movement. If I see any I repeat with a lighter strike, maybe repeated light strikes until the sight comes out. The trick is, tap then look for movement.

And - the sight is removed from LEFT to RIGHT and reinstalled from the RIGHT to the LEFT.

The front is removed and installed similarly.

I've found front sight hoods down inside soft gun cases that only partially unzip at the larger end.
The hood catches the fabric or fleece and gets pulled off as the rifle is pulled out.

And - the sight is removed from LEFT to RIGHT and reinstalled from the RIGHT to the LEFT.

^^^^^^^ SUPER IMPORTANT!!
(Left and right as viewed from the rear of the gun)

Although some of the early ones were not dovetailed. :)

20201004_141108.jpg

That is a factory 94 carbine front sight...Which was standard to about 1932.
( Post #64 )

As with all things Winchester Model 1894...the words : about , generally , around , sometimes , mostly , etc...will come into play in regards to dates and features.
Andy

Good advice Andy. So what about the sight hood? There's one on ebay right now bid up to something like $50. Seems like a lot for a spring steel hoop.
Numrich Gun Parts has a "reproduction pre-64 sight hood" for $9.75

A sight hood is useful for protecting the front sight in storage...
But during shooting , it can limit your view.

As noted earlier...many are lost in old gun cases or have fallen out of pockets to find their way onto the forest floor....
Andy

Let me scrounge through my Winchester 'junk' and see if I have a hood lying around.

Price is going to be pretty 'stiff' however - like a half-rack if you ever find yourself down this way!

But sending it to you would be on 'credit' until then!

That is a factory 94 carbine front sight...Which was standard to about 1932.
( Post #64 )

As with all things Winchester Model 1894...the words : about , generally , around , sometimes , mostly , etc...will come into play in regards to dates and features.
Andy
Andy's correct. This is the front sight on my Saddle Ring Carbine.

And he's also very correct about the second statement, especially when it was very easy to special order things like sight, half magazines and such back then.

I hadn't seen that the rear sight is dove-tailed. Somehow I missed that. So of course it comes out the side, but I didn't know it enters and exits from the right. Must be a little crud in the groove to prevent it sliding over any farther. It was 'persuaded' in a not so delicate manner and yet refused to budge - at least that's what the damage to the right side of the sight tells me. I'll fix it. So thanks for that info!

RV - let me know - I'm happy to exchange for the parts. If you've got a rear tang screw - add that to the tally. Otherwise I can order the stuff from Numrich. Hate to get only one thing (the screw) but now that it's a sight hood and a screw I feel better about that. Perhaps I'll find a few other things there to add as well.

Uh, by the way - sorry to display my ignorance RV, but what's a half-rack? It can't possibly be a chin up bar...

I had a feeling it was something like that - but since I steer clear of alcohol, I wouldn't know that. But I'm happy to provide whatever exchange works.

A barrel band showed up on the big auction site for ten bucks shipped so I got it. It's supposed to be for the 94 so let's hope it fits.

I don't think I've got any small brass drifts and it looks like I need them for other guns I've gotten recently. But I think I may have a piece of hardwood that will work on the sights. Once I've got them sorted out, I should round up a few rounds and take it somewhere I can make some noise.

I had a feeling it was something like that - but since I steer clear of alcohol, I wouldn't know that. But I'm happy to provide whatever exchange works.

A barrel band showed up on the big auction site for ten bucks shipped so I got it. It's supposed to be for the 94 so let's hope it fits.

I don't think I've got any small brass drifts and it looks like I need them for other guns I've gotten recently. But I think I may have a piece of hardwood that will work on the sights. Once I've got them sorted out, I should round up a few rounds and take it somewhere I can make some noise.

You know, it's poor form, considering that being relatively new to NWFA with many of your posts on this thread, that you have not provided "Quality" pictures? Before and after's, buggered screw's, rust spots, good close ups, of anything, etc. I remember ogling the Winchester in question when it was in the classifieds. I would say that if you have the means to take some quality photos, it would be greatly appreciated by more than just myself. :D

Its not 'locked' but may be tight and slightly rusted and will need to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled in proper alignment.

A section of round brass rod about a 1/2" in diameter, with flat ends makes a good sight punch, but a small block of hardwood sometimes works as well providing the sight is not really tight. I also have some blocks of UHMD plastic that work very well and leave no marks on the sight base.

My experience has been older rifles rear sights come out easier than newer ones I have worked on.

Typically I support the rifle in my lap on a towel, position the punch on the LEFT side of the sight base and give it 'medium' hammer strike and look at the sight for movement. If I see any I repeat with a lighter strike, maybe repeated light strikes until the sight comes out. The trick is, tap then look for movement.

Check this out: (Recently this guy has come out with an improved version with interchangeable striker surfaces.)

Interesting.

Looks like it would work well providing the sight it's being used on is not too tight in the dovetail.

A couple of the taps he showed in the vid would not move most sights - at least several I have adjusted/removed.

I might have to chuck up some rod stock in my lathe and make one of these!

Last Edited:
The sight drifter looks like a handy tool. What I like about it is the control of where the force is applied. When using a drift, there are many more variables, plus when holding the drift it's not held right up against the metal. I'm pretty good at doing things solo that normally require 3.5 hands, so I'll try it the hard way before springing for this cool gadget. It does look like it would work well for those pins that need to come out to disassemble the gun.

Yeah, Mike :oops: I know - and I apologize. I'll study up and try to correct this horrible outness asap. It aint no fun wifout fotos. I know...:(

Yeah, Mike :oops: I know - and I apologize. I'll study up and try to correct this horrible outness asap. It aint no fun wifout fotos. I know...:(

No worries my friend....Being that I have a fascination with these classic lever actions, reading your thread has my interests peaked. I have one myself. It's a newer, early '90s, M94 saddle ring carbine in .357 mag. It doesn't speak to a person like an original oldie does. And I'm toying with picking one up if the right one crosses the classifieds.

You mentioned in and earlier post of how people came out of the woodwork, so to speak, to help you with your project. That's how people have been since I first came to NWFA in late 2011. Seems like no matter what your project , or needs are, there will be more than a couple of folks that are in the "know" of what ever you need.