JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm the new owner of Jarhead's old Winchester. Thank you, Jarhead!

I like the gun as it is, but am thinking of finding an original style stock - it sports a pad rather than a metal plate.
Quite likely it was shortened since there's a spacer between the wood and pad. But that's only a guess... so what's the length of a stock butt?
maybe I'll get lucky and it's not short - but not counting on that.

Second question: Will post 64 butt stocks mount to the pre 64 guns? Anything else I should know?

Thanks for the help!

First off....you got nice rifle....!

You will need a Pre-64 model 94 stock...there are some differences here.
A proper era stock will have either a curved "carbine" style butt and need that style butt plate or a "shotgun butt" style stock with a "small butt plate".
Make sure you also get a "pre-1948" style stock as the model 94 tang was changed then to a different width.

www.precisiongunstocks.com
Is a good place to check for a stock to fit your rifle.
Andy

Thanks Andy!

I like the looks of the carbine style stock - is there a better reason to get the shotgun style?

I'll check with precision and see what they've got.

It looks like a nice rifle from the quick look I got. Do you know the gun personally?

Thanks Andy!

I like the looks of the carbine style stock - is there a better reason to get the shotgun style?

I'll check with precision and see what they've got.

It looks like a nice rifle from the quick look I got. Do you know the gun personally?

You are very welcome.
No I do not know the rifle personally....just saw the ad...and wished that I had the cash for the rifle.
A pre war Winchester is a tough find nowadays and the getting and fitting'/ finishing of a butt stock isn't that difficult of a project.

A shotgun style butt stock may be a bit more comfortable to shoot , at least it is for me.
Andy

For me , as much as I like the carbine style stock in the looks department...the drop of the stock never fit me.
The shotgun style of stock feels like it has a higher comb.
Of course stock fit , very much depends on the person shooting the firearm.

Its the width of the tang that was changed.
Andy

By 1940 the majority of Mod 94's had the carbine style buttplate.

There were still some of the curved style but most discovered carbine style to be much nicer to shoot with, and really reduces felt recoil. I know - I own two Mod 94s with the early 'Crescent' style.

There was another change in the carbine style post war sometime and the buttplate was made flat with a very slight radius and that was used until replaced with the plastic style.

The pics below show the correct carbine style for your year, and the curved style as well.

C55EA921-66D9-4927-BC06-78537F747819.jpeg $_1.jpg

If you look closely you can see the flat, later style steel buttplate on one of my Winchesters. It is 'sandwiched' between the stock and a plastic style to slightly increase the LOP of the stock. IMG_1467[1].JPG

Not trying to argue here but...
The butt stock shown in the upper picture is known as the "Shotgun style butt" ....which was indeed used on the Model 94 Carbine around 1940....as a general rule.
Andy

RVTECH - so you're saying that by 1940 the majority of the 94s had the flat (shotgun style) butts?

From what I've been seeing, the curved butt plate is the carbine style. When you say you've got two of the crescent style, is that earlier than the carbine? Looking at the Precision Gun Works site Andy referenced, there was a crescent style used up to 1938. It's got a different shape than the carbine.

Is it general opinion that the shotgun shape is more comfortable and has less felt recoil?

If I get a shotgun style, I'd want a butt plate (metal) like the one in your photo.

Andy, oops - read that wrong - yes you said the tang width was changed. Was the early one wider? Not that it makes much difference if I get a stock from PGW.

RV - is that bare stock you pictured for sale?

When you say you've got two of the crescent style, is that earlier than the carbine?
Yes - the early crescent style was heavily arched and had the tang at the top such as this one on my 1899 Mod 94 "Klondike' Sporting Rifle.

IMG_2362.JPG

The next, is the later style that was less arched and did not have the tang at the top. This is on my '67 Buffalo Bill COmmemorative.
IMG_2363.JPG

Yes, the shotgun styles are MUCH more comfortable as they distribute the butt over a greater area of your shoulder.

The bare stock is just a pic I found.

The curved butt on the early carbines were a bit wider than the rifle crescent style and not as deeply curved.

Again for me , I prefer the "Shotgun style" of butt plate , when shooting a 94 carbine....
The crescent butt plate of the rifles works for me , when shooting a 94 rifle.
Andy

Thanks, RV. I'm new to these things and still getting the terminology straight. Those crescent shaped butts are the prettiest, but your flat shotgun style butt is what I should shoot for. Makes the most sense.

You guys know more about my gun than I do. LOL So tell me, is mine a rifle or a carbine? I don't recall how long the barrel is, and that would be the only difference? Wrong?

If it's a rifle I could use the early Crescent shape, but avoid the carbine style. But if it's a carbine, the shotgun style is the most comfortable. (I thought I had this all sorted out, but I seem to be more confused now...)

Andy and RVTCH know better than me but I happen to have a 1941 Winchester and mine has this buttplate and it is all original. My sight is different as well I believe it's a no.22G. If that helps.

D29AF14E-6758-4977-A5DE-AF09CDA47826.png FD1F2FB8-486A-4A8C-B4E1-3EFC341CDEDE.png

Winchester 94's can be confusing.

Any of the below is a broad general rule....and exceptions will be found in abundance.
Which causes no end to campfire discussions and "Yeah but..."
:eek: :D

Rifles will have a 26 inch barrel which can be round , octagonal or half round.
They generally came with a crescent butt , but could be ordered with a shotgun butt.
Then as a special order you could get a short rifle with a 20 inch barrel
Or special order a longer or shorter barrel length , butt stock with a pistol grip...even a takedown option.

Carbines came with 20 inch round barrels
They may have a saddle ring , depending on the era...
The may have a curved butt stock or shotgun style stock , also depending on the era...
Sights and the forward barrel band changed over the years...as well as the forearm length.

Your 94 I would call a carbine , because of the barrel length....
But by the time yours was made , the rifle model was discontinued.
Which in turn meant that many folks and even catalog descriptions of the later 94's with 20 inch barrels , called 'em rifles....o_O

Winchester also used many parts of different eras at the same time...this was to use up existing stock of items like sights , butt plates , and such.
So it can be confusing and difficult to pin down certain things on a specific Model 94.
Andy

Sounds like I'm talking to the right guys! :cool:

Ok - I think I'm starting to understand. :)

I've technically got a carbine, so it should work ok (comfort-wise) with the crescent, but not the carbine stock. It probably came with the shotgun style if I want to be absolutely correct about it. And that's probably the way I'll go with it.

Task1 sent me a message privately (so it wouldn't start a row) somewhat explaining all this, but somehow I'm not getting into my messages (it came on my phone, but responding from the phone is impossible. Always something, huh?) I'll get that worked out next. :confused:

Task mentioned the front sight hood is missing and the rear isn't correct. This poor gun! And here I thought it was pretty nice. LOL

Nah, it is a nice one - I just wish I didn't have to wait another four or five days for the background check to clear. Then another couple hours driving to pick it up. But hey, I aint complaining!!!

If it was mine ( and like task1 I would have bought it , had I the money )
I'd get a pre-64 carbine stock with the shotgun butt....fit and finish the stock and be done and happy.

Well maybe search out the sight hood...the rear sight is a maybe too...as it could be correct....
( Don't remember what the one in OP looks like )
Like I said , Winchester often used different era parts on the 94 series , to use up existing stock.
Andy

Yeah - I didn't see the listing till a few days ago - Friday. I figured I didn't have a chance with a couple guys who had responded ahead of me. So I was pretty surprised when Jarhead got back to me. Also, I thought it was kind of funny how early-on there was that long argument about its actual birth date. It's pre 64 so who really cares? But I guess those were the guys not into buying it - or maybe hard core collectors? I don't know. But it seemed funny to me.

I don't have many guns and a 30-30 lever was on my list. I wanted something to shoot - so this looked like just the ticket! And, I think that's the case just as it is. I like it just the way it is, and that's a good place to start. I didn't know much about these Winchesters, so it's pretty interesting finding out what I've gotten myself into. It's pretty cool - I like it.

I tried an experiment a few minutes ago.

I swapped a post '64 stock on my 1899 and this is as far as it would slide on.

Now, take a look at the pic at the red arrow where the tang 'flares' out. As you can see on the 1899 it is more squared off, and on the post '64 it is more rounded as you can see from the shape of the stock it is more rounded.

Interestingly the tangs on both rifles (the 1899 and the 1967) measure .560 at the forward edge so it appears with a little fitting you could make a later style stock fit.

What does yours look like at this location? If it has the more 'rounded' shape (like my '67) a later stock may slide right on!

IMG_2365.JPG

Last Edited: