JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have this pre 64 model 94 Winchester 30/30 with a circa date of 1939. The shoulder stock has been cut to allow for a recoil pad to be put on it. I am wanting to put the correct stock on it. Are the stocks the same size throughout the years? Seems to me some of the older ones, have a more drastic curve to them where the come up to the shoulder. Does anyone know where I can find info out on this and maybe a link to where I can purchase one?

I don't know where you could look to find one or where to purchase one, but I could offer to give you the measurements of my 1911 manufactured model 94 to see if there are any similarities.

THanks for the offer,,, at this time I am mainly trying to find out if what the differences are throughout the years and when they made changes throughout. I know I could go to gun shows but they are a joke anymore.

Here's a picture of my 1938 Winchester.

1565632147033.jpeg

I found that '94 hidden in a basements false wall cavity after blowing cellulose house insulation from the outside.
After the discovery, the homeowner just handed it over to me and told me to get it out of her house, since she hated guns.
Not a problem was my response.

I found that '94 hidden in a basements false wall cavity after blowing cellulose house insulation from the outside.
After the discovery, the homeowner just handed it over to me and told me to get it out of her house, since she hated guns.

Man, what a great story. Lucky!

The coolest thing I ever found was a stack of Playboys in the forest when I was 12

Did you tell her you'd be sure to lock it away safely where it couldn't hurt anyone? And only let it out occasionally for exercise, under your close supervision?

WOW,,,, what a score for you! That picture will help me know what I am after. It is a flat cut stock opposed to some older ones that are curved.... Now if I can just find one that will match. I iwll try and post a picture later of mine... Its a shame that someone cut it... but it does happen. I had another one at one point point that someone drilled it for a side mount scope. Wish I still had it,, I would have used the stock off it

WOW,,,, what a score for you! That picture will help me know what I am after. It is a flat cut stock opposed to some older ones that are curved.... Now if I can just find one that will match.
Significant difference in stock design...View attachment 608033
Thanks for the pic... I have one of those too, but its in a bit rougher shape. Old octagon barrel dated early early 1900s

Dixie's Gun Works might be a source for a stock...

The shape of the model 94 stock depends on :
If it is a true saddle ring carbine...these usually have a curved butt plate...
It its a rifle...these usually have a crescent butt plate...
Or if is it what is referred to as a rifle...but is of a later manufactured date and is of saddle ring carbine length , but no saddle ring..these usually have a "flat" butt plate...a 1939 model 94 would fall into this category .
Andy

This is a good resource for old Winchesters. There's also a message board forum there where knowledgeable members are willing to help those with questions.

From what I know, 94s went through a 'transitional' phase in the mid-to-late 30s when the carbines went from a curved buttplate to a flat 'shotgun' style buttplate. 94s from this period are also often referred to as pre-war.

The important thing to do is to correctly date your 94. There is a search feature on the website that I linked above where one can do that. Due to incorrect information that has been copied (and recopied again and again) all over the internet, it's not uncommon that some believe they have a rifle that was made in 1939 when in fact it turns out to have been made a couple years earlier. This might make a difference in the correct stock/buttplate style for your 94.

I have this pre 64 model 94 Winchester 30/30 with a circa date of 1939. The shoulder stock has been cut to allow for a recoil pad to be put on it. I am wanting to put the correct stock on it. Are the stocks the same size throughout the years? Seems to me some of the older ones, have a more drastic curve to them where the come up to the shoulder. Does anyone know where I can find info out on this and maybe a link to where I can purchase one?
Treebone Carving can fix you right up. They are experts on wood for older rifles. They make stocks for Winchester lever guns in everything from plain walnut to mesquite.

Try bolsa gunsmithing down in westminster ca, they were a Winchester and Browning warrantee center. When i worked there, they always had stocks on hand.

I have a Model 1894 Saddle Ring Carbine made in 1919. Until very recently I was planning on restocking it. There is a company I found on ebay that has a butt stock for a carbine with the curved carbine butt. There is also a crescent style found on the rifles that has much more of a swoop to it and a much larger chunk cut out of the heel of the butt for the thick, rounded top of the butt plate. Then, there is the later flat "shotgun" style of butt used on the carbines, too. This style of butt is a little easier to find.
Google and ebay are your friend for something like this.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top