JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I went to Cabela's to get my dad some gloves for Christmas. I told myself I'd just take a quick look at the used guns, grab the gloves, and get home.

Well, I found a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06, a gun I've wanted for a long time. Long story short, I bought it. For $665. Bore looks nice, bluing is well worn, stock is nice, with a Pachmyer pad on it. I bought it to hunt with. A quick serial number look up puts it in the '58 range.

The thing that caught my eye was, the front sight. It is a barrel band type, not original. My question is, is it common to see these sights installed in these? The rear is an original flip up.
IMG_6778.JPG IMG_6779.JPG IMG_6780.JPG IMG_6781.JPG

Last Edited:
I have not seen that particular modification very often. Seen people strip off the front (and rear) sights when scoping, but never seen one replaced. Is the barrel still full length? I could really only see doing that if the barrel was clipped...

I think it might be worth trying to find an original front sight. It would be better aesthetically...

I have not seen that particular modification very often. Seen people strip off the front (and rear) sights when scoping, but never seen one replaced. Is the barrel still full length? I could really only see doing that if the barrel was clipped...

I think it might be worth trying to find an original front sight. It would be better aesthetically...

I actually haven't measured it, just got it home and posted this. I do like the look of the band type.

I actually haven't measured it, just got it home and posted this. I do like the look of the band type.

I do too, but frankly (and respectfully) there are better looking banded front sights. If you want period correct, you could try a Lyman style. If you want a more versatile option, try the NECG masterpiece banded front sight.

Still a sexy rifle. I am jealous!

Update, I measured the barrel, its 22", which I believe is original length.

The front sight has a small set screw in the top, I loosened it but the sight wouldn't easily move, so I just left it.

Not sure if it would've been a 22" or 24"...

The ramp doesn't look secured down, but it's possible the band is soldered on, but after I pulled the screw out, I might try to tap it with a brass, plastic, or rawhide mallet. Lightly.

Like I said, still jealous!

An easier option would be to buy a like new barrel from someone on ebay. I see them listed all the time. 30-06 is a very common caliber and easier to find than any of the others. By the way, the 30-06 featherweights sported 22" barrels. If you know someone that can easily sweat a new front sight on and then reblue it for less money than a barrel from ebay, then that may be a good solution, but 9 times out of 10, re-barreling (and bringing a rifle back to it's former glory) would be the best/easiest option...

I like the OP's rifle. One I'd definitely hunt with!! Good find. However, the barrel band doesn't fit ("sticks out like a sore thumb"). I'm not saying I don't have rifles with quirks, because I do. One of my favorite hunting rifles is a m1917 sporter that has a dang m14 type flash suppressor on it. I've contemplated cutting it off, but then I'd be left with a 21" barrel, maybe even a bit shorter. If the barrel band doesn't bother you and it works, use it and hunt the heck out of it. Those pre 64's were made to hunt and that one is a beauty... I know after buying my 1956 30-06 featherweight, I sent 4 other 30-06 rifles packing. They just didn't compare to that old rifle. I even sent the latest greatest Winchester model 70 extreme weather in a Mcmillan hunters compact edge stock down the road, because it just wasn't half the rifle the old model 70 is... Enjoy that one, it's a keeper...

Except a take off barrel is unlikely to be a straight easy replacement.
The barrel must be timed so the sights are in the correct position and I believe there is also an extractor cut on the barrel that needs to be timed. If the barrel doesn't just time right up, then in will need to be machined to fit (shoulder and barrel extension set back) and have the chamber punched back out to proper headspace.

At the end of the day, there isn't a perfect option. If barrel length is an issue, then you are correct, a new barrel is a good option. Otherwise, installing a new front sight can be done in a manner that it disturbs the bluing in the least amount. I have done it on my personal rifles and touched it up with cold blue.

I sold one of my 45/70's, and when I bought it back, the other owner had had the barrel chop down. A new front sight had been dovetailed into the barrel. I had to replace with a new site. I wanted to put on a ramp front sight, but there was not enough metal to drill and tap. So I had to solder on a new sight. I touched it up with cold blue, and while it is certainly not perfect, it is what I would consider a 5 foot job. From 5 foot or further away it looks just fine. You have to look at it up close to notice. Good enough to hunt with.

I'm just fine with the 22" barrel and I'm ok with the front sight. I'd like a barrel band type that I could put a hood on, but oh well. I'm going to shoot it on New Years with the open sights and see what it will do, then I'll put a scope on it.

I have a small collection of pre-64 M70s... It's all about personal preference. Personally I think the original hooded front sites are sexy and have restored them on those few that were missing them in my collection. You can find them on FleaBay from time to time for reasonable prices. However as someone else pointed out, that you can shoot and hit your target is the most important thing for a hunting gun. If it works for you unless you're looking to restore to original, shoot it as is. These are fine weapons and congrats on a nice pickup.

I have a small collection of pre-64 M70s... It's all about personal preference. Personally I think the original hooded front sites are sexy and have restored them on those few that were missing them in my collection. You can find them on FleaBay from time to time for reasonable prices. However as someone else pointed out, that you can shoot and hit your target is the most important thing for a hunting gun. If it works for you unless you're looking to restore to original, shoot it as is. These are fine weapons and congrats on a nice pickup.

I do like original for the most part, but in this case, I can live with the sight and the recoil pad for the price I paid! I only buy rifles to use, not so much a collector. If it shoots decent I'll be happy. If not, I'll have it rebarreled and a little custom work done to it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top