JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those interested in shooting on the move, using one's holster and just having fun near the Seattle area (Renton, WA).

I am a NRA Certified Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer that conduct practice shoots for Concealed Pistol License holders or those that are interested in the competition sections of pistol shooting. IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Assocation) or USPSA (United States Practical Shooting Association or aka IPSC).

www.idpa.com
www.uspsa.com

I hold practice events at Renton Fish and Game Club (RFGC) in the Renton Highlands. Please know that RFGC conducts IDPA and USPSA matches and has been the site for the IDPA State Championship.

www.rfgc.org

These events are offered as a "bridge" to those that are newer to shooting to those more experienced but have not explored shooting on the move. I called these shoots "Shooting Like the Good Old Days" since I remember going as a youngster to a dirt pit and blasting away with my brother. Although you can still go out to those far far places I find the drive to daunting and far. What I have set up here at Renton Fish and Game Club, which is about 30 minutes East from Seattle, is to use the "Action Bays" to teach and develop beginning to advanced pistol shooting techniques and to further the action sports of pistol shooting.

The events are centered around a core group of Safety Officers (SO) that volunteer their time and expertise. Randy and Christian have been with me since the beginning. I have now incorporated IDPA and USPSA SO's and their expertise in shooting the competition aspects. Again, these events are for practice, low stress and high fun factor. No prizes or awards but simple bragging rights and good memories.

I only hold a few of these every few month but I am working on getting them more frequently.

The first step to getting further information is to contact me so I can add you to my email list.

Please send me your email, full name, contact number and a brief history of your shooting experience (what classes or what you shot or how much you have been shooting).

Ammo
I recommend having at least 300 rounds (6 boxes) of ammo if not more. Yes, start stocking up when you can. Plan on shooting it all as the shoots goes pretty quickly. You control how much and how fast you shoot so ultimately it all depends on you.

Holster
A good holster is needed, please keep in mind cross draw, shoulder holsters or small of back are not allowed. We stress safety first so the muzzle control becomes the issue regarding these holsters. Muzzle needs to be pointed down or relatively down.

Safety First
Please know that above all else safety is key. We do stress safety first and then fun a close second. Muzzle control, Finger on Trigger and treating all guns as though it was loaded. The range is a COLD Range: which means that all holstered firearms will have the magazine removed and go through a clearing safety check to ensure the chamber is empty. So, no magazine or loaded guns unless you are shooting.

Shooting on the move
For those that have been shooting at a regular range, shooting on the move is exponentially more fun and difficult. Learning to shoot on the move is like relearning how to shoot all over again. Do know we take babysteps to develop these skills so you'll be in very good hands.

Membership and Cost
RFGC is open to the public but I do offer discounts for members. I typically charge $25 for non members and $5 for members.
To just shoot at RFGC is $10 for the rifle and pistol section for non members (free for members).
I typically hold these events from 10am - 2pm.

NEXT SHOOT: TBA

Young Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
RFGC Member and volunteer safety officer
IDPA member

NRA Safety Rules

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Watch the video as it gives an overview of firearm safety.

http://www.usashooting.com/getStarted.php

Selecting a pistol for woman

http://www.ehow.com/how_4702234_choose-right-pistol-women.html

What I focus on are the three fundamentals of GRIP, SIGHT PICTURE and TRIGGER CONTROL

GRIP
http://www.armystudyguide.com/conte..._studyguide/grip-techniques-used-with-2.shtml

SIGHT PICTURE
http://www.bing.com/search?q=pistol+Sight+picture+&form=QBRE&qs=n

TRIGGER CONTROL
http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframerize.cfm?redirect=http://www.targetshooting.ca/train_trigger.htm

SHOOTING ON THE MOVE
Todd Jarrett - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zYvMpTeqI&feature=PlayList&p=2630CD6FFFCAE011&index=7
Army Pro Tip - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHDgmWOkCE&feature=PlayList&p=2630CD6FFFCAE011&index=6

HOW TO SHOOT
Todd Jarrett - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c&feature=PlayList&p=2630CD6FFFCAE011&index=8

I wish you well OldKim. But I wouldn't be caught dead at Renton Fish and Game. Went there once a few years ago. The range officer called the range "hot" while I was still hanging targets. Thankfully the other shooters were paying attention. Then there this crap about loading ONE round at a time while shooting semi auto rifles?! Like I said. Wish you well but I would rather shoot at Cascade Rifle and Pistol or Black Diamond clubs. Cascade also has IDPA shoots. Just my opinion, but if you are trying to build a clientel maybe another range with a better reputation would be better.

No trying to start any trouble mind you. The above is my experience with them along with hearing the same from many others.

All I can tell you is if you had a hard time over at RFGC then I'm here to tell you I've had nothing but good.

I'm sorry and would apologize but I will stand by the Rangemaster on the one limit on Rifles. Renton was founded 1933 and now we are surrounded on all sides by residential and a middle and high school within 4 - 6 blocks. We can not afford to have a rifle round leave the range. This club is not a rifle or rapid fire appropriate rifle range. The one in the chamber rule is there to protect us all. I'm sorry it puts you out but I would rather have a club near me than make you happy.

Also a note of clarification. I use the action bays at the club not the rifle or pistol ranges. The action bays allows us more flexibility to just a have a great time. Kind of like a dirt pit but just so much funner and cleaner. These shoots are centered on pistols (not rifles). We rapid fire, shoot at steel plates and run around like happy goats on a mountain.

Again, this is a free country we live in and you have a right not to come. I'm sorry you feel that way but you have an invitation to try us out. I'm not IDPA so you can do that someplace else. I would say you'll be hard pressed to find something like I'm doing anywhere in the US let alone in Washington State. Yes, you can go to some fancy training facility but let's try paying $25 for it and see what they do in front of your face.

What I do is create a fun and safe environment for people interested in shooting and learning to come together and do just that. I'm not charging an arm and a leg - $25 to get shooting lessons and a chance to just enjoy a day shooting with like minded people in a safe range and have a BBQ too!

Good luck to you... since I'm good to go and having a blast at Renton Fish and Game Club.

Sure, we are free to choose. I choose not to go because I don't feel safe there. But the fact remains that others have said the same things as I have. Can we all be wrong? I don't think so.

If it's not a rifle appropriate range then why have it at all if your so interested in protecting the public?

Glad your having a blast at RFGC. You won't see me shooting there unless things have changed drastically. I would be interested in what your doing and I think it's a good thing. Very good. But I won't be shooting until I make my own inspection of the range safety and practices.

I have taught many folks the very basics of shooting. I am not certified and don't care to be. But that's why I only teach the basics so they can shoot safely and enjoy themselves. I sat through a very long NRA certification class and finally got mad and walked out. The two Instructors did nothing but talk about themselves and what they did. None of it pertained to the certification class. Since then I have met many "certified" instructors that need more instruction.

Maybe I'll stop by and watch sometime.

Good luck and shoot safe and straight.

By the way, I think we have met at a local a local indoor range but I'm not sure. ;)

Sure, we are free to choose. I choose not to go because I don't feel safe there. But the fact remains that others have said the same things as I have. Can we all be wrong? I don't think so.

If it's not a rifle appropriate range then why have it at all if your so interested in protecting the public?

Safe? I think you need to expand on this. You don't feel safe or you are offended that the Rangemaster won't let you put in multiple rifle rounds?

Rifle - this is an old club and designed around people and hunters that enjoy shooting accurately. Not a rapid fire where you can go blazing away with your AK or AR or any rifle. Where does protecting the public come into play? It's a range not some godlike protective shield.

Please let's seperate the issues here.
I'm a pistol shooter and I am using the action bays at Renton Fish and Game to offer a fun shoot for people to have fun and enjoy a side of pistol shooting many can't do.

Safe? I think you need to expand on this. You don't feel safe or you are offended that the Rangemaster won't let you put in multiple rifle rounds?

Rifle - this is an old club and designed around people and hunters that enjoy shooting accurately. Not a rapid fire where you can go blazing away with your AK or AR or any rifle. Where does protecting the public come into play? It's a range not some godlike protective shield.

Please let's seperate the issues here.
I'm a pistol shooter and I am using the action bays at Renton Fish and Game to offer a fun shoot for people to have fun and enjoy a side of pistol shooting many can't do.

Reread my first post. If you still "don't get it" I can't help you.

So I "skimmed" over the post. Sorry.

Back on topic:
Shooting on the move... the action side of pistol shooting is something to behold. What I have set up is a place and environment that is simply not done anywhere else. Unless you start competing or attend a training course for some big $$$.

My target audience mainly consists of concealed pistol license (CPL) holders, those interested in obtaining their CPL's to those that just want to try something different and those interested in the action shooting side, such as IDPA or USPSA. Not everyone feels comfortable to make the leap from regular shooting to shooting on the move.

What am I talking about? For example you'll face downrange, draw from your holster and fire at multiple targets (at a rapid rate). The targets may be steel and/or paper. You'll advance while engaging and practice the same while retreating. Meaning you'll be firing while you walk. All under the supervision of an experienced safety officer. I have other bays set up for more advanced shooters to consider use of cover and shooting behind a barrier. These practice session are low stress, high on fun. We take things at the comfort level of each shooter. Everyone is at a different level but I have something that will challenge each and everyone one of the shooters.

I have always wanted to share my enjoyment of the shooting sports. This is my way of passing the "torch" onto the next generation regardless of your age. I've had 60 year olds that have never shot while on the move look at shooting in a totally new light.

I will say once you start shooting on the move, a regular range will never look the same to you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top