JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this has been discussed before, but it sure is hard to sell guns for reasonable prices these days. I have a Sig P220 that's been on consignment since last July, not even an offer. Price seems fair considering all the extras included, but no one is interested. I remember a time in the not too distant past that ANYTHING Sig went for the better part of $1K, yesterday I saw a Sig like mine in the Classifieds for $550. Guess I'll pick up my SIG the next time I'm in Riverside, if it won't sell now, I guess I'll just have to wait until the next panic :rolleyes:. Sorry guys, mostly just venting, later.

It's a roller coaster ride.

Just wait till the next law to be passed and that $500 goes to $1500.

Can't speak to sig as I haven't shopped for those lately but in general for the guns I've been looking at most used guns are listed for 90%-120% of what u can buy the gun for new on sale.

I have stopped looking at used guns altogether cuz every time I do I always find a new one on sale for just a hair more $ or less $ than used prices. I imagine there are a lot of people who do the same. Why pay the new price for a used gun plus transfer fee when u can buy new, often with only a $10 background check and no transfer fee?

That doesn't apply of course to guns that u can't buy new right now like classic/collectible guns etc.

. Price seems fair considering all the extras included
You will not get the price you want for the extras in the sale price. Try and sell the extras separately. Buyers are shopping
for the lowest price. Some buyers don't want or need some of these "extras". The price of a used gun should be at least 10%
below a new gun at wholesale prices. Sometimes buyers pay retail price and expect to sell it based on that price.

I always try to price my used gun to sell quickly, no expectiaton to get near breakeven esp when you throw in dies, mags and ammo. I did however make a pile of money on a JC Higgins 20 pump shotgun on this site. I sold it for $100 and I am sure my father in law only paid about $47.00 for it. Brand New:)

Last Edited:
To many buyers "extras" means "baggage and clutter."
Agree. The classic example for me is a used car which is worth $2000 but the owner put $2000 wheels on it and a $1000 stereo. It's still only worth $2000 and actually if the wheels are unusual or ugly it may turn away a lot of prospective buyers. It's maybe worth up to $2500 if the buyer values the wheels or stereo but the seller would never get anywhere near the retail price for his extras.

I'm not buying a pistol unless it's a great deal, or something I really want.
I just had to wait 2 weeks+ to take a pistol home, even with a CPL... Instant gratification is a big player in buying decisions.
If 1639 had 1 good effect... it was detouring me from impulse buys.

Can't speak to sig as I haven't shopped for those lately but in general for the guns I've been looking at most used guns are listed for 90%-120% of what u can buy the gun for new on sale.

I have stopped looking at used guns altogether cuz every time I do I always find a new one on sale for just a hair more $ or less $ than used prices. I imagine there are a lot of people who do the same. Why pay the new price for a used gun plus transfer fee when u can buy new, often with only a $10 background check and no transfer fee?

That doesn't apply of course to guns that u can't buy new right now like classic/collectible guns etc.

This.

Especially for you sellers that are out in the sticks. I always factor in my time to travel there and back and the gas cost. If the deal + those costs isn't far enough away from retail, then it simply isn't worth it for me. I don't understand the perspective of a seller who wants 90% retail + any potential buyer to come to them. You haggle the price to expand your market, but I digress.

Considering I recently purchased a usp and a 226 for $400 each OTD, I'd say you'll either have to accept a giant loss or just hang on to them for later. I see many a Glock for $450 used, before fees and $500 new. And I still see the same Glocks a month later. Just how it is.

This.

Especially for you sellers that are out in the sticks. I always factor in my time to travel there and back and the gas cost. If the deal + those costs isn't far enough away from retail, then it simply isn't worth it for me. I don't understand the perspective of a seller who wants 90% retail + any potential buyer to come to them. You haggle the price to expand your market, but I digress.
Yep, driving from Eugene to Beaverton to pick up a $500 pistol adds $100 to the cost.

I know this has been discussed before, but it sure is hard to sell guns for reasonable prices these days. I have a Sig P220 that's been on consignment since last July, not even an offer. Price seems fair considering all the extras included, but no one is interested. I remember a time in the not too distant past that ANYTHING Sig went for the better part of $1K, yesterday I saw a Sig like mine in the Classifieds for $550. Guess I'll pick up my SIG the next time I'm in Riverside, if it won't sell now, I guess I'll just have to wait until the next panic :rolleyes:. Sorry guys, mostly just venting, later.
I was thinking about holding out for a panic but I am not sure that we will see another time like we did during the Obama era. There are so many firearms out there now it seems everbody who really wants one, has ten.

When I want a new gun I do a quick search for MSRP knowing I can go anywhere and pay that. When I see one for a little less than that I buy it. It's value to me isn't in the price I paid it's in it's use. When I peruse the classifieds, gun shops, gun shows and whatever I'm looking for a deal on something I didn't know I needed until I saw the couldn't turn down deal.

Why all the lamentation?

If the selling price you want can't be met by buyers, keep it until 'maybe' it is...sheesh and just like a house, don't believe because you had it extravagantly landscaped that equates to greater actual value...it doesn't...and you should''ve planned to keep it...

Many aren't willing to pay extra for 'your' customization you decided to sell....

I started collecting guns at the exact opposite time frame, during the AWB. First AR was a neutered AR with one 10 round mag, for $1000 (that's $1,500 in today's money!). Now the same AR might fetch $300-400 new. Not worth selling it at that price. My first pistol was a well-worn police trade in Beretta 92FS for $400 (that's $600 in today's money!). Imagine trying to sell, or being offered to buy, a neutered AR for $1,500 or a worn out Beretta 92FS for $600... you'd laugh...

Right now for many guns of more modern design, say from 1970s onward, it's a buyers market. Innovation, new designs, minor perceived improvements, less expensive manufacturing, and safe national political landscape have all benefited gun BUYERS.

You can expect to pay about 1/2 the retail price for most modern guns, and get extras with them. I've been snapping these up regularly for future dark days... which will come. I don't buy anything now unless it's deeply discounted, around 1/2 retail, with or including extras. For example, this week I bought a HK VP40 with new night sights ($6-700 retail) with NINE magazines (~$350+ retail), for $525. That's about 1/2 retail... and I was happy with it.

For older, unique, C&R guns, and AKs and SKSs, it's more of a sellers market. Expect to pay a premium for these designs.

I'd say take advantage of the buyers' market if you can. Snap up as many semi autos and ARs as your budget will allow. It may not last. Trump could lose. Or be impeached. Dems could take power. Dems could stack Courts. We could get a bad ruling in some courts or the SCOTUS. War could break out. Let's not forget Remington is being sued, so what if all gun makers start getting sued and production ceases? Any number of things could overnight spike gun prices and shock availability...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top