JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks NoOne. Is there any validity in doing this exercise with my 10/22 until I get good at the mechanics (thinking it's going to take a lot of practice, and the 22lr is much cheaper than 223).

~Mitch

Mitch.. I would suggest you plan on coming out and give practical rifle a try. I have done two events now, and find that my "hits" are coming along. The stage RO's are very helpful with new people (thanks to all of you). If you are having problems hitting a long range target, the RO's will call your misses and help you get on target. Most all the competitors are really helpful and encouraging to new shooters. All the longer range stuff, over 100 yards, so far has been shooting from cover that allowed some sort of support, usually a really big rock or berm.

As for shooting with your .22 AR, it might help some, but the recoil is so much different that maintaining your point of aim will not be the same. When you do practice, keep in mind that your muzzle must ALWAYS stay low during practical rifle matches. Do not raise your muzzle even close to horizontal during magazine changes. Safety is always number one at practical rifle, and every precaution is taken to keep all rounds headed in a safe direction and INSIDE the pit.

The next event in May is a 3 gun match. Shotgun, pistol, and rifle. It is my understanding they do this occasionally, maybe once a year.

I second the idea that you would benefit from going out to a practical rifle match. Any firearm where you have to learn sight alignment and trigger pull will help you. No matter how much you advance, all advanced techniques are simply tweeks of the basics...(sight alignment and trigger pull). So, yes, practice with your 10-22 will be of great benefit. Try doing most of your practice with a 10-22, then end your session with a little practice using your AR15. It is important that you end every practice doing something positive so you have that in mind as you leave. If you do negative just before you leave, it will eat at you until you finally do something positive. Even if you have to do something different, ending on a positive is a really important mental trick.

Does participating in Practical Rifle count towards Action Bay certification?

Do I need to call/email someone in advance to let them know I plan on participating? Or do I just show up?

How much does it cost and how many rounds/magazines do you take?

Yes
No
Show up at 2pm on Fridays before the match to the Action Rifle Range (old rim fire range)
$15
Bring 150 rounds and at least two mags
You'll likely shoot less than 100.
This months match is a 3-gun match- so I'd advise that you show up with a rifle, pistol & shotgun to the Friday Orientation

do you have to be a member to attend the pr matchs? and if so how do you become a member?

From the TCGC.org website:
"New membership applications are accepted on the third Saturday of the month in the main clubhouse at 9 am, weather permitting. The mandatory orientation starts at 11 a.m. This includes a thorough review of the range rules and a visit to each of the ranges. Bring your own lunch, but we do have coffee and pop machines available at the club. Bring your own eye and ear protection. Our contact web page has the address and driving directions.

New members pay a one-time initiation fee of $225. Annual dues are $170. Additional household members (21 years of age and living under the same roof) annual dues are $35. Dues are pro-rated, starting in October. We accept cash, check or money order, but no credit or debit cards.

A dues credit is available to members who work at least 8 hours for the club, and $80 for members who put in at least 16 hours. A 20% discount is available to members over 62 years old, after one year as a regular member.

New members must be National Rifle Association members, or join concurrently.

INCLEMENT WEATHER: If a winter storm with ice or snow is predicted for the third Saturday of the month, the new member orientation will be cancelled for that month.

For more information, contact us ....

do you have to be a member to attend the pr matchs? and if so how do you become a member?

Thanks PDXGS for posting that information for fallout75.

As far as the PR match, no you don't have to be a member to shoot PR. But you need to come as a guest of a member. Members can bring guests to shoot the match.
It used to be open to the public, but TCGC was forced to restrict it to members and their guests. (Something to do with it being a private club and tax laws....legal mumbo jumbo)

You don't need to be a guest with a member to take the PR orientation on the Friday prior. My recommendation if you dont know anyone that's a member and shoots PR: Just come to the orientation and make a new friend to be their guest the next day.

If you are considering joining TCGC, it might be a good idea to join up before they hit their membership cap. Once they hit the cap, you will have to get on a waiting list to join up. Although I no longer live in the area, from all I have seen, TCGC is one of the finest shooting ranges in the Northwest. The have more active disciplines, more ranges, and seem to have any kind of shooting you can imagine. About the only discipline I haven't seen out there is Zoot shooting. That is sort of like cowboy action shooting, but the Zoot shooters dress up as, and use firearms from the Zoot suit era. It actually sounds like alot of fun. A good 1911, pump shotgun, Thompson 45ACP sub gun, semi-auto BAR, and so on.

A few questions...

My emails to Randy ([email protected]) have gone unanswered, so I was planning on just showing up for the Practical Rifle Orientation on Friday (April 12, 2013)...

1. Can I just show up for the Practical Rifle Orientation and/or a match? Or are there only a certain amount of spots available for both the Practical Rifle Orientation and match?
2. Is there a cost for the Practical Rifle Orientation?
3. What is the process and cost for getting Action Rifle Range Certification?

Thanks

When I did it I just had to show up. The orientation is free.

To get action range certified you have to be a member, do three matches ( without being dq'd) and then talk with randy.

TCGC has reached its maximum membership. No new memberships will be available until at least 2014. To put your name and contact information on our wait list, click here, select the "wait list" option, and fill out the form. Placing your name on the list is not a guarantee of membership. The process of accepting new members when the time comes has not yet been decided. You will be contacted in the order your form was received with details at the appropriate time. Please do not contact us to find out where you stand on the list or when you might hear from us. Monitor this web site for further information as the process is developed.

New members pay a one-time initiation fee of $225. Annual dues are $170. Additional household members (21 years of age and living under the same roof) annual dues are $35. Dues are pro-rated, starting in October. We accept cash, check or money order, but no credit or debit cards.

A dues credit is available to members who work at least 8 hours for the club, and $80 for members who put in at least 16 hours. A 20% discount is available to members over 62 years old, after one year as a regular member.

New members must be National Rifle Association members, or join concurrently.

INCLEMENT WEATHER: If a winter storm with ice or snow is predicted for the third Saturday of the month, the new member orientation will be cancelled for that month.

For more information, contact us ....[/I][/QUOTE]
That is from the website

Do they allow you to pick up your brass at Practical Rifle matches?

The only reason I ask is because the availability of ammo is in short supply and I like to reload.

Thanks.

Just read through this thread, cant make it tomorrow but will try for next month!

I have shot speed steel at TCGC and it was fun, this looks to be a little more interesting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top