JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those that didnt notice, because its kinda easy to miss...; "To save our steel targets, magnum calibers and steel-core ammunition will not be allowed for any portion of this match."

So I guess the winmag and shortmags guys are f'd.

Next February, if they keep the normal schedule.

Practical Rifle is every month. There is nothing to stop you from using a bolt action or semi-auto sniping rifle at those. Guys have run them (and other weird stuff, like .30-30 leverguns) for 'normal' matches.

Just don't complain if you need to shoot fast or need more than 5 rounds in a stage.

H

I've been a member of TCGC for a few years now and am finding the time to give PR a try (likely the March match). Can anyone tell me what the orientation is about and when exactly it is? I've seen some info that says it's the morning of the match, the Friday afternoon before the match, and some random Sunday afternoon.

Thanks,

AO

The orientation currently happens Friday afternoon at 1400. Expect a safety briefing and a short firing course where you will be expected to demonstrate you can shoot and move w/o being a hazard.

H

I did not receive the email this month for PR, just wanted to make sure it was still set for tomorrow at 8 am. Can someone confirm?

Regards, UAV

No. No. I haven't gone yet. Would have called my favorite Vampire first (do you ever sleep?) I said that would have been me.

That wasn't the Glock btw, it was the Lone Wolf Comp barrel that caused the jamming (and disgrace lol).

Ahhh i see ....that would have been your luck lol. Dude i want to run that corse. Its not as cool as i imagined, thought there would be alot more movement. Still looks fun.

Oh yeah i be running a nickel boron bcg its wild 400 rounds so far after i degreased her completely!

But every match is different, and the match set up people don't know how much movement will be allowed until they set up the course and see what is available and safe. Some matches, there is alot of very vigorous movement, other matches are almost all position shooting. The thing I think is neat about this is that just like in the real world no one knows what problem you will have to solve until it happens.

Like deer hunting..sometimes, bambi shows up at 50 yards when you have a rest that is almost like a bench rest. Other times all you get is a running shot at 200 yards after you had to clamber up and over some logs. The rifle matches are the same. In the 20 years I have shot practical rifle there, I don't think I have shot the same stage twice.

What can you tell me about the Practical Rifle Orientation? Is it only for those who will be participating in the match the next day (Saturday)? Or can you just drop in on a Practical Rifle Orientation if you happen to be at the range that day? Also, do you always have to go to a Friday Orientation before each match? Do you need to bring a rifle?

What can you tell me about the Practical Rifle Orientation? Is it only for those who will be participating in the match the next day (Saturday)? Or can you just drop in on a Practical Rifle Orientation if you happen to be at the range that day? Also, do you always have to go to a Friday Orientation before each match? Do you need to bring a rifle?

I do not believe that you can just "drop in" for the orientation...you have to confirm with Randy before showing up so he knows how many people to expect. That way, if there are lots of people, he can try and get some assistance. There is quite a bit of really useful information, so he has to keep the program with a student-teacher ratio that will insure you get the information. You only need to do one orientation, then shoot in a match to get fully "certified" to shoot in the practical rifle matches.

The orientation covers general safety, scoring, how to move safely, the type of muzzle control required by Tri-County, and lots of other information you will need to shoot the match. After you shoot safely in a match, then everyone knows that you are as "up to speed" with safety as they are. With the vigorous movement, speed, unusual positions and other very demanding techniques that you will learn shooting in these matches, it is really nice to know that everyone out there is just as safe as you are, and vice-versa.

Practical rifle is definitely NOT something where you go to learn how to shoot; you should already know how to operate every part of your firearm, basic safety, marksmanship, safe movement with a loaded firearm, before showing up to a practical rifle match. After you know those things, and complete the orientation, the practical rifle matches will exponentially improve your ability to engage in dynamic techniques with a rifle.

When you contact Randy, he will tell you how many rounds to bring to the orientation. You will need your rifle for the orientation.

I don't know if you can get the certification without shooting in a match the day after the orientation. If I was the instructor (I'm not), my fear would be that if you didn't complete the match the day after orientation, you might forget some important information, and thereby be a safety risk. I would recommend planning on completing a match the day after the orientation.

However, if you have some special situation (military deployment, public safety shift work) I suspect Randy might work something out with you.

What's the longest distance you guys shoot standing and unsupported? I was at the TCGC 100 yard range today and with my AR can do a 2" group, relatively fast rife if I shoot supported, but standing, unsupported I was terrible. I'd like to come out for practical rifle, but I also don't want to waste my and a squad's time if I'm not going to be able to make the required hits at longer distances.

~Mitch

Everyone has trouble shooting offhand..that is why it is such a good test. If you practice shooting at those cheap white paper plates starting at 50 yards, then moving them out to 100 yards, you WILL get better. Read up on how to have your bones support the rifle, rather than muscles. Ned Roberts used to have a famous test for shooting, and it was damned tough. If you can find it, and work on it, you will become very good offhand.

Starting at 50 yards, shoot slowly until you hit the plate almost every time. Then increase your speed a wee bit, but only enough so that you continue getting hits. Once you are comfortable at 50 yards, move it out to 100 yards, and repeat.

For what it is worth, I have been practicing, and shooting for a good many years, and won more than a few practical rifle matches. I still haven't mastered Ned Roberts' test....but I still try.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top