Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Practical distance for 1x magnification scope?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by jimwsea, Sep 18, 2009.

1. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

How far a distance do you use your red dot type scope with no additional magnification?
    ADDED: Assuming that your iron sights are blocked.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Gunnut56

Gunnut56 SE Seattle area New Member

You basically have iron sights with a red dot. Windage and elevation should be adjusted the same way. (Trial & Error?)

3. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

Thanks Gunnut - made clarification

4. Gunnut56

Gunnut56 SE Seattle area New Member

jimwsea,

I assume your red dot has windage and elevation adjustments. If not, you will need to zero it at a known distance and the eyeball it for your caliber/load/bullet at the distance you are shooting. What I was meaning to say is that you will need to sight it as you would with working iron sights.

Hope this clarifies my response.

5. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

Considering the AMU shoots competitions at 600m with open sights and they pull nice tight groups(they are pros though), the practical distances are pretty much as good as your eyes.

With my EOTech 552, I've been able to ring a 8"x8" plate at 400 yards with my 14.7" barreled AR. Not fast firing but still solid hits. The especially nice thing about the EOTech is the outer ring, in conjunction with the dot, you have a basic ranging reticle that works in a pinch.

6. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

300 meters is maximum I have used the M68 aimpoint on the M4. At that point it comes down to being able to see the target for me anyways.