JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Who all is going? I've never done a night shoot before, anyone got any tips?

yeah, wear lots of light sticks!

Nah, it's going to be cold and possibly snowing. Last year there was little wind and there were visibility issues- clouds of steam in front of the shooter that would obscure the view of the target and reflect any light source.

Bring some good clear safety glasses and rub some Johnsons Baby Shampoo on the inside surfaces of the lenses, then buff it off. This will at least keep the fogging down.

I'm also planning to ditch my ACOG if the fog or precip is too much...I'll switch to backup night-irons.

Lastly, eat well and dress warm.
Leave the cotton at home and use GI surplus wool if you need the basics.
Shivering is no way to shoot!

I plan on going if my light mount ever shows up. I heard a rumor it was in the action pits.....? Or is it in the big pit as usual?

Unless there has been a sudden rules change, AR15 rifles (or any rifle, I believe) cannot be used at the action range. It's got to be in the rock pit, as usual. For those of you who are not on the PR mailing list, I have taken the liberty of including the text of Randy's message on the match:

Well, it's gonna be cold, dark and maybe wet on Saturday December 12th, perfect for the Practical Rifle Night Match:

NOTE: No Tyros allowed at this match. You must have already shot a TCGC Practical Rifle match in order to shoot the night match. Also, spectators will not be allowed at this match, only competitors. Shooting at night has special safety considerations. Everyone will be expected to be on their safest behavior during this match.

The safety briefing and stage explanations start at 1600 hours. Don't expect to shoot if you miss them. I suggest you bring something to eat as we will not be providing any food.

It would be nice if you could bring a couple green or yellow light sticks. Everyone will be required to have one hanging on opposite sides of themselves, below the belt and visible at all times. I will have some if you need them. Also bring a low power light to see where you're going between stages. We don't want every one's night vision destroyed by million watt super duper lights (unless they are mounted on your rifle). All other rules, such as keeping the rifles in cases at all times, still apply.

Don't expect fancy or exciting stages. We will stop the shooting at about 2100 hours. Short stages with low round counts will increase the chances of everyone finishing on time so we can post scores. This match is intended to help you try out your gear in low-light conditions. I suggest using the factory ammo you would carry in real life so you can see what kind of flash it has. Most gunpowder for handloading doesn't contain flash suppressant.

Any safe gear is okay, but tracers are not allowed per club rules. Since ranges will be shorter than usual, it would be nice if everyone shot 556 or 762x39 to reduce wear on the steel targets, but if you carry a 308 or 3006 then go ahead and use them if you want. As usual, pistol caliber long guns will be ridiculed as useless toys and not scored with actual practical rifles.

Possession of steel-core or steel-jacketed ammunition WILL be cause for instant disqualification and a bill for damages to the targets.

REMEMBER - NO NEW SHOOTERS AND NO OBSERVERS OR SPECTATORS AT THIS MATCH.

Well that was pretty fun. I learned a few things like 1) irons really suck at night and 2) always test your stuff before taking it to a competition.

...I think I need to loctite that flashlight mount on. <_<

LMAO!!! YES!!!! When I was an Army Private, at night we used to sneak up on MP's (that we personally knew) sitting in their patrol cars and jeeps and "100 mile an hour tape" their doors shut, then bang on their windows and run off... hilarious times! :s0155:

100 MPH tape & 550 cord is to the army what duct tape and WD40 are to most people... It really is the simple things in life :)

I learned alot at the match.

When targets are several hundred yards away you need a really f'ing big light to see them.

Fog and mist reflect light back in your face.

Weapon lights do an excellent job at giving away your location.

Iron sights suck at night. Use the big aperature if you have to use irons.

The flash from factory ammo is barely noticable when using a weapon light and flash hider.

Despite the cold and wet, I had fun. It would be nice if they could do this more then once a year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top