JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have to say, if you're a prepper and don't have a PCP airgun in your arsenal, you're missing out. These things can pack a big wallop, and may be important for conserving regular ammo when it's in short supply. I'm guessing you can cast your own bullets too if necessary. With this kind of power, you could certainly do some hunting, maybe even get off a self-defense shot or two.

Anyway, this is kind of fun to watch:

What's the max effective range of that thing? I would imagine there's quite a drop. Still, I wouldn't want to get hit with it. Lol. Pretty cool.

I've wanted one of these since I posted the OP almost 2 years ago. Just have other wants higher on the list first. But some day, I'd love a big cal PCP rifle.

hmmmm.. this or an Airbow ( Pioneer Airbow ). About the same price. I was going to go with an airbow since I am going the way of archery but the air rifles look tempting now.

That looks interesting, haven't seen that one before. That could be good for you where you are - I imagine fewer issues? Still, some of these newer airguns are certainly noteworthy.

hmmmm.. this or an Airbow ( Pioneer Airbow ). About the same price. I was going to go with an airbow since I am going the way of archery but the air rifles look tempting now.

To top it off, Airforce now has an integrally suppressed model of the Texan, making it super quiet:

Posted the wrong video originally, corrected it.

Since this is an air rifle I take it there are no transfers or records to speak of?

Yes. I posted the wrong video at first - that showed a removable suppressor, which may be an NFA issue, not sure yet. The integrally suppressed model apparently has no NFA requirements whatsoever.

Suppressors and air rifles are enough of a grey area that the BATFE has chosen to pretty much ignore them. Part of the reason is purely functional, as there's pretty nearly NO heat and very little pressure compared to even a .22 LR, air gun silencers can (and usually are) very lightly built, some of the best are carbon fiber and plastic. Plus, they're typically threaded 1/2"-20, rather than 1/2"-28.

The other reason is intent. Even though the law says basically ANY reduction in sound level for one shot, they still have to prove that you intended to install your air rifle silencer on an actual firearm, with the intent of making it quieter. And since the Feds specifically state that an air gun is NOT a firearm, that's in the mix, too. So like I said, grey area that no one is really eager to dive into.

That said, it's my opinion that the proliferation of high powered, larger caliber air rifles is going to force the Feds to take notice sometime in the not too distant future. The very success of air rifles as viable, lethal, large game hunting weapons is going to be their downfall. Biggest I've owned to date is a .25, and I still have one, a Benjamin Marauder. Mine's basically stock, about 40 FPE, perfect for garden marauding critters out to ~50 yards, and quieter and more effective that a sub-sonic .22 with silencer. But lots of guys have pushed them to 75 FPE and more. I've pushed one of the older Air Force .22's to over 100 FPE, fun, but not really very useful, not to mention air consumption SUCKS!

BTW, beating up on concrete blocks isn't that big a deal, I've hammered the crap out of fire brick with an ordinary .177 springer. Entertaining, but mostly meaningless. One thing I learned when I got back into firearms, one of the best things about air guns is simply trigger time, especially if you shoot springers. Being able to shoot in your back yard, your garage, hell, even down a hallway in your house, means that trigger time is both cheap and convenient. And I've found that ANY trigger time is GOOD trigger time, and it doesn't hurt that most quality air rifles will give a match quality .22 a run for its money, both the triggers and the accuracy.

I never considered myself a rifleman, hadn't owned a firearm of any kind for years, was totally focused on air rifles. Suddenly fell in love with a Remington SPS Tactical .308 after several years of just shooting air rifles, the techniques learned with them carried over just fine, maybe I got an exceptional example, but I was able to hold consistent half-MOA groups with that rifle with factory ammo, using exactly the same techniques I used with my air guns. I've since gone all in with .223's because air rifles are useless at learning to manage recoil, and even a .243 is more than I'm comfortable with for extended range sessions. But if you're a serious shooter that has to take a hiatus because of season or whatever, do yourself a favor and get a quality air rifle for off season practice. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads