Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

power pistol vs AA#7

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JO JO, Aug 25, 2012.

1. JO JO

JO JO Vancouver WA Active Member

anyone use either of these for 9mm and 40,
    :huh:

2. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

My brother and I used to use AA#7, but changed to wsf for both, 9mm and .40. AA#7 didn't burn very clean for us in those calibers. I've never had any experience with power pistol. I now reload the 5.7x28mm and the AA#7 works well for that caliber.

3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I've used both. I stick with Power Pistol for bullets up to 124 gr and the AA7 for 147 gr. I load only 9mm, mostly 124 gr so I go through lots and lots of the Power Pistol. AA7, not so much. Smells good though.

Power Pistol with a 124 gr bullet in 9mm can yield an average of 100 fps more speed than AA-7, both at near max loads with less pressure signs. Only complaint I've ever heard on PP is that it's notorious for "flash" in short barrels. My Sig 229 does have a short flame with a loud bark but my CZ75 SP-01, with the longer barrel, doesn't have as much "dragon breath".

I do like Power Pistol as it's a lot cleaner burning than the others I've used in 9mm. HS-6 was the filthiest. The rest that "claim" to be a good 9mm powder don't yield the speed. Accuracy has been good too with my loads.

4. JO JO

I load 9mm 124gr and 40 s&w planning on using same powder for both,

5. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

That would be a good use for Power Pistol.

6. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

AA#7 is the powder I use for 40 [155 and 180gr bullets] and 357 sig [115 and 124grain 9mm bullets] and it works really well for me. Never checked fps etc but it meters well loading, the gun [G22] cycles perfectly, and the bullets go where I want them to.

7. Cowboy73

Cowboy73 NW Washington New Member

I use Power Pistol in my 9 & .40 loads. In 9mm I use 124gr. bullets, 155gr for .40. Works great in both. As others mentioned, it does have some bark in a short barrel gun. My G27 puts out a nice flash with the PP.

8. bballer182

bballer182 Molalla Active Member

Word. :D

9. JO JO

seems both are liked