JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I opened a bottle of Power Pistol today after it sat in my closet for about 7 years and it had the strongest odor like enamel paint, really strong I checked it for signs of decomposition or change in color but it looked OK. I'm not familiar with this powder is the strong smell normal?

I love the smell of Power Pistol in the morning! Seriously, an aroma similar to acetone, ketone or other chemicals is completely normal. Depending on the powder, it is made of nitrocellulose, nitroglycerin and/or nitroguanidine in the case of triple-base powders. Other chemicals are in the blend as well. Perfectly normal.

Signs of deterioration are an acrid, acid odor that is very unpleasant, and a dusty brown appearance or tiny drops of liquid in and on the powder. Those are signs of breakdown and in that case the powder should be spread out in a safe area and burned.

However, I have many powders from the 70s with some military surplus dating to the 60s and it is still fine. Keep it cool, keep it closed and it'll store for decades.

Last Edited:
I love the smell of Power Pistol in the morning! Seriously, an aroma similar to acetone, ketone or other chemicals is completely normal. Depending on the powder, it is made of nitrocellulose, nitroglycerin and/or nitroguanidine in the case of triple-base powders. Other chemicals are in the blend as well. Perfectly normal.

Signs of deterioration are an acrid, acid odor that is very unpleasant, and a dusty brown appearance or tiny drops of liquid in and on the powder. Those are signs of breakdown and in that case the powder should be spread out in a safe area and burned.

However, I have many powders from the 70s with some military surplus dating to the 60s and it is still fine. Keep it cool, keep it closed and it'll store for decades.
Thanks for clueing me in about Power Pistol, I almost dumped it! I wish they sold powder in the square tins like they used to I don't like plastic bottles, Mike

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top