JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone run this combo?
I've done alot of 9mm major loads. But my Gal wants to shoot her 45 so I have it set at 8.0grs per max manual specs.

And will chronograph it , and post results. Just wonding if anyone has already done this yet.

And we all know the we can push the manual max loads.
My major 9mm with PP is 7.1 with a 124 plated at 1340 to 1360fps.

Finally getting around to posting results. From 5" 1911.....

8.0grs Power Pistol
230gr RN X Treme plated
Winchester Lrg PP
860 fps avg

Looks like you're loading significantly beyond published load data, at least according to Lyman's 49th, for both the 9mm and 45. Please let me know when you plan to shoot down here in southern Oregon. I will be the guy elsewhere.

Looks like you're loading significantly beyond published load data, at least according to Lyman's 49th, for both the 9mm and 45. Please let me know when you plan to shoot down here in southern Oregon. I will be the guy elsewhere.

In Speer #14 they show Power Pistol 8.0 for 916 fps. for a 230g RN.

Ok ok ok ..... LOL
Truth be the string Hi was 881.
Avg was the 860
Can't remember what the low was on the 5 shot string... you do the math.

The Alliant 2014 guide 8.1 / 916 for TMJ mine were plated. I'll trust my chronograph.

That's true about the difference between books.

Just as a foot note..... I chronographed some 230gr FMJ Sig ammo that same day and it ran at 860 fps as an FYI.

Kinda scary when two references so such a wide varience.

Not really, for me anyway. I read these recipes as " We made this up and these were the results", velocity, pressure, COAL in a certain barrel length. So what I take from this is, the recipe will allow me to go "This High" safely. Or, this low with out sticking a bullet. The variance gives me more room to play safely! I'd be more concerned loading a recipe that only has a .5 grain variance!

I have noticed a trend for derating max loads in the newer manuals. A buddy of mine bought a newer manual and asked what my recipe for 7mm was. After I told him, he informed me that I was something like 2 grains over max according to his manual. My Speer manual from the late 60's said that I was just at max loading H4831. I then went to the Hodgen site to see what they said and they gave a number that was lower still.... Maybe it's a side effect of living in such a litigation prone society? And/or they don't make firearms like they used to?
At any rate, I've been shooting this load for 40 years and never had a gun blow up yet..... But I am also not going to load for anyone else due to the liability entanglement either.

A more economical load would be 5.0 grains of Red dot or 5.0 grs of Bullseye..
A little more gentle for the Lady friend. Should chrono out in the 825-835fps range.
It's a great target shooting load, and pleasant to shoot

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top