JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Unfortunately, my father recently had a stroke, and he currently requires more care than either his ex-wife/my mother (who now holds power of attorney) or myself can provide. We're in the sad process of cleaning out his house, which he will not be able to return to, and there are a number of firearms to deal with.

Our plan is for me to keep a few that were passed down from my grandfather, both because the man had excellent taste in firearms, and to keep them in the family, as per my father's request.

He is still quite lucid, but has lost his ability to use a pen well enough to sign his name to anything, nor can he travel to an FFL to do business, so it's on us to handle it. I'm hoping someone here has dealt with this same issue, and could shed some light on how to proceed if/when we find buyers for the ones we will be selling, and the couple I'll be keeping, post SB941.

May an ATF Form 4473 be completed for the transfer of a firearm by a person holding a Power of Attorney?
No. A licensee is required to obtain an ATF Form 4473 from the transferee who must certify that he or she is not prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm, and whose identity the licensee must verify prior to transfer. A licensee cannot comply with these provisions where a Form 4473 is completed by a person other than the actual transferee.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g); 27 CFR 478.124]

Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

May an ATF Form 4473 be completed for the transfer of a firearm by a person holding a Power of Attorney? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

He can give you his guns today, is my understanding. No FFL involvement.

Edit: and I oplogize for my manners, been up since 5:30pm yesterday. Caring for people since 9:07pm. Hearttfealt sympathies for your fathers condition...

Thank you guys for your input, I appreciate it. As it turns out, the guns he's worried about, (likely due to his aphasia), are the same ones he gave me years ago when SB941 was looming, so I wouldn't have to deal with transfers in the event of his death.

He was convinced they were still in his safe, but all I found when I opened it a minute ago was ammo and hearing/eye pro. So unless I discover another gun safe, my issue is resolved. Thank you @Camelfilter for your kind words, it's tough, but so is he, I expect he'll be back to bubbleguming about "those bubblegumers in Salem" soon enough :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews