JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm just happy when I here a ting after the bang.

the PF has little to do with that 'ting'

Note the term above "level playing field": this is rife with the
mistaken notion that such is possible, ignoring the actual point of inherent differences that are unchangeable. Such as, you actually ARE faster in performing certain musculoskeletal movements than the rest of us....should we demand you wear sandbags to slow you down?

My own introduction to cowboy matches was difficult, as I was resistant to the notion I could 'have fun' shooting where there was A) someone with a stop watch'; B) 3 spotters counting my misses (or HITS if you are an optimist); and C) a 'scorekeeper' whose job it was to tell me how many I missed and how long it took to do it. Plus a Safety Officer at the loading table confirming I didn't sweep anybody with unsafe muzzle handling, while another Safety Officer at the Unloading table insisted on seeing that I indeed DID have empty chambers & etc. Wearing funny clothes was just an added bonus.

The notion of PF in serious money competition may have a place.
I've never seen practical application on a local range level.
We DID have one hapless newbie Cowboy shooter about 20 years ago, who DID try to download his 45LCs enough to improve his score. At that time some of our targets were cardboard and 'zone of impact' were important. I forget his name, but his story lives on. At a crucial point, one of his boolits bounced off and did NOT go thru the cardboard target. So much for his PF.

Mostly PF has been to help moderate damage to steel targets, at least at some ranges. Further, to prevent potential injury due to squib loads, obstructed barrels & overly fast followup shots making bigger problems.

Is there a lever gun speed steel categorie?

That would be insanely fun.

There's lots of 22rf autos of every make. Have yet to see lever 22 on the line:D

I'd have to find a way to buy one if that became a category.;)

Last Edited:
Mkay, I don't shoot SS nor have I recently slept at a Holiday Express. So I'm wondering which is faster, a .45ACP with puff loads and an 11lb recoil spring, or a .38Super with a heavy recoil spring?

I see this at Match Info – ORSS.org
"
** Lever action and pump action carbines are not appropriate for this match due to time/reloading requirements.
"

makes me think, hmmm.

I don't own one, if I did I might ask for further info. How much longer does it take to load a lever side loader than say a revolver?

I see this at Match Info – ORSS.org
"
** Lever action and pump action carbines are not appropriate for this match due to time/reloading requirements.
"

makes me think, hmmm.

I don't own one, if I did I might ask for further info. How much longer does it take to load a lever side loader than say a revolver?

If I'm not mistaken, that info about the lever/pump guns was added to the rules after a discussion on the topic came up here on the forum well over a year ago. I don't recall if it was here in the competitive shooting section or elsewhere? @ac4wordplay may or may not be able to recall the details of that discussion, but I'm sure he can elaborate on the actual ruling itself.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top