JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what do you guys think is causing the primer and powder shortage. Why is it the distributors don't have it. The manufacturers must be cranking it out as fast as they can.

My powders showed up today just fine. Paid about 3$ lb more than I could get locally. Luckily I have enough primers for my need. Well now I need some Pistol primers for the 10mm but I'm not even ready to reload for that. Just got back from the range breaking it in.

James

Fear mongering causing a run on components. Seems to be a cyclic thing.
I think the problem is higher up than the purchaser. There's nothing to purchase. The entire supply system is drained of everything it has. This is what happened during the Obummer years when ammo was simply not available at any price.
It's possible the sources are being drained for a war effort and the military is stock piling munitions in response to threats by other countries. Just a thought....

Last Edited:
I think the problem is higher up than the purchaser. There's nothing to purchase. The entire supply system is drained of everything it has. This is what happened during the Obummer years when ammo was simply not available at any price.
It's possible the sources are being drained for a war effort and the military is stock piling munitions in response to threats by other countries. Just a thought....
Possible, but the military doesn't use most of the components that are unavailable. Supply and demand. Covid also caused a run on guns. Many shops were sold out of everything.

Everyone freaks out and buys everything up and there's a shortage. Then when something comes in, it's snatched up right away. This goes on and on until the demand drops enough to allow supply to catch up. Then it happens again later on.

I was around for the Obama debacle as well. Same thing happened then and there. People showing up before opening at stores to scalp products and resell at gun shows, etc.

The problem with the scalping at gun shows theory is it never showed up at the gun shows in any quantity that would explain the shortage of billions of rounds of ammo. It simply doesn't exist anywhere. There's not enough basements or storage lockers in this country filled with that stuff to explain it by everyone freaking out. Especially .22 ammo. Distributors didn't have it to sell and if distributors didn't have then who did. It was somehow bypassing the distributors. The components I'm looking for are the exact components the military would buy. .223 bullets and appropriate powders. I bought the hoarding theory for the first two years of the Obummer administration and then discarded it as not plausible enough to explain that much lost ammo.

Last Edited:
If any of you are looking for a deal on components for reloading I suggest calling Dominic at Gem State Demill. Located in Peck Idaho east of Lewiston up the Clearwater. Been getting my gear from him for a very long time. He only just recently raised his price on powder to $12/lb.

The recent troubles the country has been experiencing have brought on a huge drain on the availability of some things but if you keep checking back chances are you find a better deal with him than anywhere else.

Give him a shout at : 208-553-1681 or

208 486 6677

If any of you are looking for a deal on components for reloading I suggest calling Dominic at Gem State Demill. Located in Peck Idaho east of Lewiston up the Clearwater. Been getting my gear from him for a very long time. He only just recently raised his price on powder to $12/lb.

The recent troubles the country has been experiencing have brought on a huge drain on the availability of some things but if you keep checking back chances are you find a better deal with him than anywhere else.

Give him a shout at : 208-553-1681 or

208 486 6677
Thanks for the info. Does he by chance have a website?

Sounds like he might be in the business of purchasing and demiling military ammo. That would be the only way he could obtain and sell powder at those prices.

Yes. Dom is into demilling but he is also selling factory bullets and perhaps other components also. I did buy some Sierra MatchKing 168 gn from him for 12 or 14 cents apiece. Don't know what his stock isvat the moment but I assure you he had the best deal going of anywhere else.

Might give him a jingle and see what he's got.

I added a new caliber to my stable in the middle of the pandemic run on components. Doh! I got a PSA Gen 3 upper in .308, figuring there would be plenty of .308 ammo and components available. There was not.

Was complaining to my dad and he suggested checking out his buddy's website. His buddy specializes in black powder cartridges, cast bullets, and components for the old buffalo rifles. One of the top suppliers for the BPCR sport, of which my dad is an avid member of.

So I checked out his site and found plenty of cases, bullets, and loaded ammo at decent prices. I'm good to go now. I still had to get my Varget from Powder Valley, though. I bought a box of the Hornady 178gr ELD-X for a couple of bucks cheaper than the local Sportsman's Warehouse, which was completely out of them.

His physical store is in Post Falls, ID and he's a pretty good guy.

Was at my little FFL today picking up my new pistol. It's basically a 20'x12' room attached to a deputy's residential home. I was waiting in line and noticed a couple boxes of powder he had just gotten in and hadn't had a chance to put on the shelf.

Lo and behold; Varget!

Grabbed one, plus another AR-10 magazine, and some plinking ammo for the new pistol. Was happy to pay the $34 for the can of powder...

IMG_20200603_200506333.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads