JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am still a novice in the gun world, but I am trying to further my knowledge by shooting more and taking classes here in Southern Oregon. I have seen that most people that have been in the gun game for a while reload, something I am wanting to get in to. Seemingly, the hardest thing to find is the powder. My question is, where in the heck are people getting it?

In times of plenty.....you stock up.

Guns
Ammo
Powder, primers, brass cases

You get the knack of it.....and you learn which politicians will %@#^ up your hobby and the nation, just by the rumor of them getting elected.

Aloha, Mark

Keep monitoring the reloading section in the classifieds here. Many powders that are popular will come available from members.

I live in Wa so my local places won't help you but I have seen lots of posts about Curt's in Oregon. They are also in the vendors section to check out. Fishermans, Bimart and Sportsmans warehouse if you know when a shippment is coming in also carry powders and other supplies.

Shop local until you get comfortable with what load you want to use then buy larger quantities on line to offset hazmat and save a little more. Powdervalley, weideners or natchez are some more well known online suppliers.

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I haven't seen any powder that's at the price point that I am told I should be buying at. I would ultimately like to still save money by reloading, but right now that seems a little far fetched.

I paid $19.95 for Bullsye at Sportsman' s last week.

I would ultimately like to still save money by reloading, but right now that seems a little far fetched.
And it always will be (far fetched). You wind up shooting more and buying more reloading equipment. No doubt 'on paper' there is a savings on the bottom line when you consider the price of components but the eventual 'real' savings will be in the convenience of having supplies on hand so you can reload at your leisure and not run around looking for ammo.

but hey they don't spoil or go bad setting on the reloading bench!
I need to retract my own statement. Actually some DO go bad. A couple years ago I was given 1000s of NOS (from 1978,80) Speer 125 gr SP 9mm bullets. When I opened the boxes a large amount of the bullets had a beautiful coating of lead oxide on the exposed lead tips. Some of it was so thick it would have inhibited loading and would have most likely jammed the gun. About 20 hours of tumbling got the heavy stuff off but the tips were still white. I loaded them and then run them through the tumbler again and they came out much better. Probably the tumbling action with the brass cases functioning as a rough 'media' helped knock most of what remained off.

If you are starting to reload now, try to make a list of all the powders that will be good enough rather than looking for a specific powder that you hear is perfect. The more options you give yourself, the more successful you will be.

I just started reloading a few months ago and was also limited by powder at first. Most of mine has been from Sportsman's Warehouse, but about half of my rifle powder has been from Fisherman's. You just have to stop by as many times as possible. If you miss the delivery by more than a day you'll find empty shelves (or just 50BMG powder) and assume they've always been empty.

Pistol powder is the tough one to find so consider buying a pound even if you can't use it in any of your pistols, you can probably find someone to trade with.

If you are starting to reload now, try to make a list of all the powders that will be good enough rather than looking for a specific powder that you hear is perfect. The more options you give yourself, the more successful you will be.

That sounds like good advice, I will do that. Thank you !

I just started reloading a few months ago and was also limited by powder at first. Most of mine has been from Sportsman's Warehouse, but about half of my rifle powder has been from Fisherman's. You just have to stop by as many times as possible. If you miss the delivery by more than a day you'll find empty shelves (or just 50BMG powder) and assume they've always been empty.

Pistol powder is the tough one to find so consider buying a pound even if you can't use it in any of your pistols, you can probably find someone to trade with.

I will do that as well. With family, school, work, and everything else I'm pretty busy, so getting out a bunch to check for powder is kind of a challenge. I guess the persistent man wins haha. What would be the most I should pay for a pound of powder ?

Prices vary a lot from one powder to the next. I use Unique for 45acp and colt plus 9mm. 8lb jug for just over $120. TAC for .308 at $27 per pound. But I will pay more to be able to load if I need to. Thank goodness right now I don't need to. Lol!

I always try to stay a year ahead of my shooting habits on components - and because of the current 'situation' I took advantage of a small window last year when primers and powder were showing up in small amounts so I bought ahead again 'just in case'. I am a little more optimistic lately as primers and powder are starting to show up in small, but consistent amounts in Sportsman's Warehouse anyway - and staying on the shelf. Last week they had several cans of both Unique and Bullseye. As usual though I bought a can of BE - not because I need it right now, but will eventually soon and the stores' stocks could be eliminated again. Like I said I am optimistic right now but supplies are still not consistant and one little 'hiccup' could send it all back to the starting line.

I picked up a pound of IMR-4064 today at a Bi-Mart in Sunnyside WA for $23.97. Didn't really "need" it, but it is a very versatile powder that works well in some of the cartridges I load. I have used it in .223 Rem, .243 Win, 6.5x55, .270 Win, and it could also be used in .308 Win, 30-06, and .338 Federal. Locally, there is various powders available for between $24 and $29 per lb. Pistol powder isn't currently available but I have picked up a pound of Unique for about $20 and a pound of Titegroup for $19. I am fortunate that I work just a few blocks from the local Sportsman's Warehouse and only a mile or so from Ranch & Home here in Kennewick, WA. Ranch & Home's prices are a little higher, but they tend to have more stock on hand. Both stores have good supplies of primers and bullets for most calibers. I think it is slowly getting better. I won't be surprised if the stocks are fully restocked with powders within the next year. (Unless some further political insanity occurs :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I haven't seen any powder that's at the price point that I am told I should be buying at. I would ultimately like to still save money by reloading, but right now that seems a little far fetched.

Reloading WON'T save you any money, it just allows you to shoot more for the same amount of money:cool:

In Medford you have several choices, none of them at this writing, very good. Sportsman's. They have been stocking quite a few primers lately. Powder is like unicorns in southern Oregon. Have a slip of paper with brands you can use, visit Sportsmans regularly, and you may connect. Guns R Us has had rifle powder, and they have a waiting list. But they have never called me...Bi-Mart is a distant third for powder. Never seem to have luck there.

Don't forget about.......

THE GROUP BUY.

Think about, "internet deals." With a group buy, you could save on haz mat and shipping. Then, you'll also be making friends. Buy powder in 8lb kegs and primers by the case. Ask your internet supplier, what is the maximum amount of powder and primers that they'll ship under one haz mat charge. Also ask IF they'll mix power and primers under one haz mat charge.

In the past.....I've gotten 4- 8lb kegs shipped under one haz mat charge. And, I've gotten 10- cases of primers (5k primers to a case) shipped under one haz mat charge.

Collect from your "friends" first or just do the buy (whatever you're comfortable with). Take the small risk. I say that the risk is small because, guys are always looking for a deal on the popular stuff. Yup, soon you'll know what always sells. Pay with a CC and get points for yourself. You deserve it.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
"haven't seen any powder that's at the price point that I am told I should be buying at. "

right now,you buy it if it's even remotely close to what you've been told it should be. Right now i'd gladly pay 5-10 dollars a pound more just to have some back on my empty shelf. It stinks,but there it is.
Powder 'should be' an average of 21.00/lb,but there isn't any,so I will pay more just to have it.

The powders I use are no longer on the cool list and not listed in most reloading data, so for the most part easy to come by, sometimes.
As to bullets, went back to makeing my own. If you can find wheel weights you done good. Most tire stores have gone green so no lead in the new wheel weights.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top