JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been loading using some fine powders here lately. H110 and hp-38 mostly and there just leaking like crazy out of my Lee perfect powder measure. It's worked pretty good for everything else. Just wondering which one you guys would recommend that doesn't have this problem. I was thinking about try the Franklin arsenal automatic one.

Kind of worrying that it's leaking? Might want to make sure it's assembled correctly.

If not, Lee is kind of budget friendly. Upgrade to any of the other known brands. I've used the same ole antique RCBS forever.

I have one of the new Frankford Arsenal Intellidroppers and really like it, but I tend to use it more for precision loads. For everything else, I really like my Hornady LNL powder measure, it seems to be more consistent than my RCBS Uni-flow. Never had an issue with either of them leaking, and I use a lot of fine powder, HP-38 among them. For either one, you definitely want to buy the pistol powder drum, the regular drum just doesn't work that well for charge weights under about 25 gr. or so. Later.

Dave

Lyman 55. Great for fine powders, kinda "chunky" with extruded.
1606449230549.png

A 2nd for the Lyman 55.
With ball and flake powder, it is simply the fastest, most accurate way.
"Chunky" on extruded is so true! In my experience, it's not too accurate with extruded, but I have found it can speed up my auto feeder.
With extruded, I'll preload the dump tray on my Hornady LnL auto feed and let it trickle to the end. Speeds up the process, seldom goes "over". Overshoot is problem on cases where I'm above 60gr if I let the feeder go all the way.

The Hornady powder drop feed on the LnL AP is, IMO, much better than the Lee disks on the Loadmaster, etc. I imagine the RCBS to be similar.

Gotta say I've been extremely impressed with the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. At least with the finer powders you're speaking of. If I actuate the lever consistently, I'm usually spot on or only off by .02-.04gr with each throw (as verified with a Gempro and Hornady electronic scale).

Lately I've been using it to throw a lot of charges of TAC. Super impressed with how consistent it's been throwing.

Extruded powders I'm sure would not be near as consistent, but I've never used them in the Uniflow. I always use an automatic powder dispenser and hand weigh each load with those.

And, no powder leakage.

Gotta say I've been extremely impressed with the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. At least with the finer powders you're speaking of.

Me too. Used mine for nearly 40 years and it's never leaked the finest ball powders, like AA#9. Or mighty fine flattened ball powders like Tite Group.

Just about any powder measure that doesn't leak would be better than one that does. Your Lee isn't exactly "Perfect," eh?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews