JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was finally able to get some reloading gear. I'm looking to get some tips on powders I can use for 30-06, 270, and 45 auto. A powder that will work for all 3 is ideal, because I'm still learning. But at the very least I'd like something that will work for 270 and 30-06. Especially since I haven't gotten 45 dies yet. I'm basically looking to have a list that I can walk into a sporting goods store with to compare to what they have in stock to find something I can use to get started with. Thanks in advance.

For the rifle cartridges, I would go with something tried and true. IMR 4064, IMR 4895, Winchester 760, Hodgdon's Varget or something like that. You will not load the 45 with the same powders as the rifle. I have always loved Hodgdon's Titegroup and Alliant's Bullseye. Titegroup is a very universal powder for pistols and very consistent in that even in cases with a lot of capacity, no matter the placement of the charge, consistent and thorough burning is virtually guaranteed.

There are so many options out there and if you really get into it, you will without a doubt find "better" things along the way. I recommend going to hodgdon.com, where you can look at their load data and compare what powders do what. Hodgdon makes their namesake, IMR and Winchester powders. I am a big fan of their line, though my favorite and most used powder is Alliant's 2400 for all my revolver loads. Unique works great as well for revolver loads. Good luck to you and welcome to handloading. It is a fine hobby and can save you a lot of money.

For the .270 Win and .30-06 I would start with either H4831sc or IMR 4350. Although these two calibers share the same case, they prefer different powders. H4831 would make a good compromise for the 30-06 and is ideal for the .270. IMR 4350 is ideal for the 30-06 and a decent compromise for the .270. You should be able to find a decent load for both calibers with either of those powders.

The 45 will take an entirely different type of powder.

As above.
Any reloading manual will list multiple powders for each cartridge and bullet weight. You need to buy at least one and read it. You can look for one or more powders that are common to both with the bullet weights you want to use.
A low pressure pistol cartridge will need a much faster powder than a large high-pressure rifle. Again, look in your reloading manual and see what powders are used.
I use 231/HP38 or AA2 for .45 Auto.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top