JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I have a question about powder storage.
so due to the forest fire I lost everything, and started from scratch to reacquire reloading everything.
I got my father and grandfathers reloading equipment and supply's.
When I went to use some h4895 there was a red dust in it, i have been reloading for 40 years and that was a first, it looked and smelled ok? I later went through all the powder that was in metal cans, all of the rectangle cans had surface rust on the inside, even ones that were never opened, the exception was all the small square 1/2 pound were all shiny and rust free inside ( I had never seen that kind of package before with the press to open lids, guess is 60s vintage and most smell and looked good )
So looking for powder at this time is tough found 4 lbs 4895 that was in coffee cans, looks and smells good and then i see the cans have rust.
All were stored indoors in dry environment and had very small amounts of rust on exterior.

So what can I get to put all this powder in?

Thanks

The rust is a function of the powder decomposing, both rust on the can and rust in the powder.
If you go to reload with it, I would be cautious as the burn rate may have changed. Also, looking at this High Road thread, the decomposition accelerates when exposed to air.
If I were to transfer it, I'd look to black, opaque bottles. I have a few pounders if you want/need (and I haven't thrown them out yet).

I wouldn't mess with that powder. Hands, arms, eyeballs and your life are worth way more than powder. I understand the shelves are empty right now but that shouldn't cloud your judgment. The fact that you are questioning its use, should tell you everything you need to know. Take care

I commonly repackage my powder into small cylindrical brass containers topped with copper or lead stoppers. :s0062:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top