JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Given the current lack of availability of "the usual suspects" powder for .300 Win Mag, has anyone tried some of the "other guys" that one might actually be able to purchase online or face to face? Reloder 26, H-1000, Retumbo are virtually impossible to find, unless you want to consider taking out a second mortgage on your house. The old school options, H-4831, IMR-4831, 4350, Reloder 22, 23 and 25 are almost as hard to find or pricey. Other viable options?
I have some Ramshot Hunter as well as some Alliant Power Pro 4000-MR, which might be an option. The 4000-MR seems okay, but a little on the fast side. I am primarily interested in heavier bullets for longer range hunting applications, deer, elk and antelope in the 180 gr and up. I haven't tried the Hunter yet, but have a couple pounds on hand having picked them up last summer on sale at BiMart for $25 a pound before everyone completely lost their minds buying everything off all the shelves everywhere.
It seems like Hodgdon Hybrid 100-V might also be one that pops up occasionally and lasts more than the 3-4 minutes that the more popular powders sell out in. This isn't so much for me, my recoil tolerance ends around the .270 WSM with 150 gr bullets. But my son and his buddy have the .300's and want to wring them out. And with the current demand for ammo and components, are looking to me for assistance.
Thanks in advance.

I like the Nosler Load Data because it shows "most accurate powder tested" and also the percentage of the case filled.

IMR 7828 for heavy or 4064 for lighter bullets is what I use. My go to rifle powder is 4064 but I have a select few others for some of the oddballs.

Thanks for the comments. I was hoping that someone might have some personal experience with those rare occasionally available powders. Two years ago, I would have just bought a pound of Hybrid 100-V or Norma 217 or Ramshot Magnum and given it a try. But today, it is challenging to find it available, pay a significantly higher price, plus hazmat for a single pound. If I could confirm suitability of one of the available products, I could perhaps order an 8 lb keg with confidence.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top