JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok I want a quality (not bank breaking) bench mount powder measure for mostly doing rifle rounds.

Who has what and do they like it?
I have looked at RCBS and Lyman and some others but am looking for some real world thoughts on what is good and what sucks!

Would like to stay in the 75 ballpark but willing to fudge if I have to.

Thanks again guys!
Steven

Hi Steven, I have the RCBS. I am new to reloading myself (and to this forum too), and only have experience with this one. That being said.... I found it a little tricky to get dialed in to the charge i wanted. However, once dialed in, I have found it to be extreemly accurate. Being paranoid newb at reloading i measured every 10th charge and did not find any need to re-adjust. Overall, I am satisfied with it, though i will be purchasing the riser for it if I dont get one from Santa! FYI, I think I saw an ad from Hornady for an electronic powder measure that might be of interest to you.
James

Well I said screew it last night and ordered up a RCBS powder measure :) so thanks for the input guys but never mind!

But please check out my press thread I am still very much in the market for one of those :) My hand press is not going to cut it for long

Steven

You may want to consider getting the micrometer adjustment screw for the uniflow. It has very fine threads and is easily repeatable if you like to change powders.

It is a great measure just the way it is. I'm sure you will like it.

for ball powder or flake powder the rcbs works fine ... i will not use it for extruded powder though .. i find it just as easy to buy a set of lee powder scoops and do it manually.. Don

I simply won't buy the long extruded powders and that solves a world of problems. I have no problems with the Lee. I have one bench mounted and one on the press.

I just love IMR 4064 too much to avoid extruded powders. I just end up measuring every round on the scale. Other than that, the RCBS uniflow is great.

It's therapy :)

Well, you caught me. :) That is GREAT powder for medium sized rifles and I use it in my .270. The difference is that I don't shoot thousands of rounds of .270 so I don't mind weighing them.

I was thinking more of calibers which I load by the thousands. I'm not sure you could even get enough 4046 into a .223 case to make it work anyway. ?? Maybe, maybe not?

But yep, 4064 can stay just our secret, OK? :D

by chance anyone use an RCBS powder measure with H4198? That is the powder i am thinking most about for loading 45/70

Thanks,
Steven

If you have fresh (newer) H4198, Hodgdon is chopping that a lot shorter than they used to. I loaded some .223 for a friend not long ago and it metered just fine. (21 grains = 3150 fps through chrony w/55 gr bullet, 22" barrel AR-15, for us.) Be careful and don't take my word for it. Look everything up in more than one source, start light and build up looking for stress marks and chrony speeds. Guns vary and I
make typos!
:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top