Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Powder in 9MM case?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ol Bust Head, Jan 28, 2016.

1. ol Bust Head

ol Bust Head Gresham Member

It's been a long time since I reloaded 9mm ammo, and I don't recall if this is right, so tell me, is this right? I'm reloading a 115 Gr. JHP bullet, the powder I've selected is Blue Dot, The Sierra Bullets recipe I've selected calls for 6.0 - 7.4 grains (i'm going with 7.2 grains) when I pour that amount of powder into the case, it fills the case to the rim. I checked the amount of powder on 2 different RCBS beam scales to confirm the amount of powder. I can place a bullet over the powder and press it to it's correct seating depth. I just don't recall there being that much powder in the case. It almost seems like this might be a compressed load, and don't want to risk excessive pressures. Does this all sound normal to you guys?

2. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

When I use Unique it is the same way, all the way to the top. Compressed loads, nothing to worry about as long as you are following published data. That said, it is unnerving until you get used to it. The great part is that you can't double charge and visual inspection will point out an squib load really fast. :)

3. JustShoot

JustShoot Oregon . Hillsborito area Active Member

ya your going to get to the case mouth with bluedot & a small 9mm case .
    I prefer unique & red dot on 9mm . but ' blue ' is not as efficient of a burner on little 9mm .. but it will work, and will function satisfactory in your semi pistol .

4. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WOW! :eek:
    And I thought I was compressing the load with 5.5gr. of #7 and 145gr. bullet in a 9mm case.
    I was really surprised that it all burned as 3.5gr. of BullsEye was really dirty.:confused:

5. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If I had no other more suitable powder for 9mm I would use it, because my book shows the recipe. But blue Dot is a slower burning powder suited for magnum rounds. Seems a shame to waste a good mag powder on 9mm if you don't need to.

My preferred 9mm and .40 powder is HS-6

Dyjital and Lilhigbee like this.
  6. ol Bust Head

Ok, I'll save the Blue for .357 that I will reload eventually. I have some other options for powder. Thanks!

7. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

OP thats normal. Fluffier powders will look like its and overcharge in the tiny 9mm. In contrast I use 3.5 grains of titegroup in front of 115 grain FMJs and it looks like there is nothing in the case.

etrain16 likes this.
  8. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yep, my first loads were with Titegroup - it is hard to tell it's even in there.

John Gault likes this.
  9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That's one of the reasons HS-6 is good in 9mm. With the light trained down on case mouths when seating bullets you can easily see the powder level.

Dyjital likes this.
  10. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like 3.5gr of BullsEye in my .38Spl., but I'm extra careful and check for double loads.:eek::eek:

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  11. noylj

noylj high desert Active Member

>I'm reloading a 115 Gr. JHP bullet, the powder I've selected is Blue Dot, The Sierra Bullets recipe I've selected calls for 6.0 - 7.4 grains (i'm going with 7.2 grains)

Excuse me, but you are supposed to START at the START load and work up.
    Checking various manuals, I find MAX loads range from 6.8-8.9gn. If you have the same pressure profile as the manuals that show 6.8 and 6.9gn as max, you will be over-MAX.
    Blue Dot will easily compress down and compressed loads are not an issue--but not working up the load can be a BIG issue.

12. zeppelin

zeppelin Benton County WA Active Member

13. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yea, Blue Dot is pretty slow and fluffy, especially for 9mm. I bought exactly one pound about forty years ago for 9mm and found that out.
    Also, a little warning about Blue Dot and the .357 mag..

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx

14. ol Bust Head

Thanks for that heads up! I don't think I have any 125 gr. Bullets.

Certaindeaf likes this.
  15. fxdc

fxdc Da Valley USPSA, SPEED STEEL, IDPA, 3 GUN

Wow
    Ya gotta get a faster burning powder!

I'll use HS6 for major 9 IPSC LOADS. Slower burning powders produce more gas for compensated open class guns.

Get yourself a burn rate sheet and go from there .

Get some tight group, HP38/231, AA5 , AA2, bullseye, red dot. heck even autocomp ETC.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016