JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been a long time since I reloaded 9mm ammo, and I don't recall if this is right, so tell me, is this right? I'm reloading a 115 Gr. JHP bullet, the powder I've selected is Blue Dot, The Sierra Bullets recipe I've selected calls for 6.0 - 7.4 grains (i'm going with 7.2 grains) when I pour that amount of powder into the case, it fills the case to the rim. I checked the amount of powder on 2 different RCBS beam scales to confirm the amount of powder. I can place a bullet over the powder and press it to it's correct seating depth. I just don't recall there being that much powder in the case. It almost seems like this might be a compressed load, and don't want to risk excessive pressures. Does this all sound normal to you guys?

When I use Unique it is the same way, all the way to the top. Compressed loads, nothing to worry about as long as you are following published data. That said, it is unnerving until you get used to it. The great part is that you can't double charge and visual inspection will point out an squib load really fast. :)

If I had no other more suitable powder for 9mm I would use it, because my book shows the recipe. But blue Dot is a slower burning powder suited for magnum rounds. Seems a shame to waste a good mag powder on 9mm if you don't need to.

My preferred 9mm and .40 powder is HS-6

OP thats normal. Fluffier powders will look like its and overcharge in the tiny 9mm. In contrast I use 3.5 grains of titegroup in front of 115 grain FMJs and it looks like there is nothing in the case.

OP thats normal. Fluffier powders will look like its and overcharge in the tiny 9mm. In contrast I use 3.5 grains of titegroup in front of 115 grain FMJs and it looks like there is nothing in the case.

Yep, my first loads were with Titegroup - it is hard to tell it's even in there.

That's one of the reasons HS-6 is good in 9mm. With the light trained down on case mouths when seating bullets you can easily see the powder level.

>I'm reloading a 115 Gr. JHP bullet, the powder I've selected is Blue Dot, The Sierra Bullets recipe I've selected calls for 6.0 - 7.4 grains (i'm going with 7.2 grains)

Excuse me, but you are supposed to START at the START load and work up.
Checking various manuals, I find MAX loads range from 6.8-8.9gn. If you have the same pressure profile as the manuals that show 6.8 and 6.9gn as max, you will be over-MAX.
Blue Dot will easily compress down and compressed loads are not an issue--but not working up the load can be a BIG issue.

Wow
Ya gotta get a faster burning powder!

I'll use HS6 for major 9 IPSC LOADS. Slower burning powders produce more gas for compensated open class guns.

Get yourself a burn rate sheet and go from there .

Get some tight group, HP38/231, AA5 , AA2, bullseye, red dot. heck even autocomp ETC.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads