JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Load both and check for accuracy...:)

But it comes to a lot more than that.
Long barrel vs. short barrel
Bolt vs. auotloading rifle.
Is your load for a pistol?
More info please...

.44 mag shooting 300 gr. jacketed bullets.2400 or H110?Seems they're close to equal as far as velocity for this bullet.I have a Win 94AE and a Redhawk both in .44 and would really like not to have to load seperately for both.I have been shooting 19.5 gr of H110 and bought a lb of 2400 the other day and was just wondering if such similiar powders could really have very different results.

Barrel length, temperature and bullet could all make these powders react differently.
I really like the results I have gotten with the H110 and 300 gr XTP bullets.
Remember load data comes from test barrels, your firearm WILL react differently.
Alliant 2400 is a faster burning powder than the Hogdon H110.
They may have the same chronograph speed, but the 2400 will build pressure faster.
In a longer barrel the H110 should be a better choice.
H110 was specifically developed for magnum pistol loads and is a ball powder.
The 2400 is a flake powder and has different ignition characteristics.
I have no experience with the 2400, but hey give it a try and see.

I use both powders frequently in my numerous 44 cal handguns and one rifle. I tend to use the H110 in full house loads as it gives a little higher velocity in my guns. 2400 works well across the board but seems to be a little dirtier. 2400 does not go through my powder measure as well as h110. H110 needs a magnum primer and 2400 uses standard. In the end use what shoots the best or what you have the most of.

The other variable is how clean burning the two powders are. All things being equal, I like to shoot more than I like to clean, so I would go with the cleaner powder. Maybe even over the more accurate powder, in a pistol. Most any powder that is acceptable for the round will be more accurate than most people can hold.

clean burning, accurate loads, and economy of loads. Seems to me that cranking out the most velocity, hardest recoil, and biggest muzzle blast and bang, doesn't hit paper or rocks any better than a std, target load.

I have a deeply ingrained hatred of H110, mostly because it has a very narrow profile as far as what's safe in terms of powder volume so I tend to avoid it at all costs. For a comparable powder that has a wider loading range, I recommend lil'gun especially in pistol caliber rifle rounds like .357mag, .38SPL, and .44mag. 2400 is also a very versatile powder and I've used it in everything from 9mm to .45-70, and while yes it does tend to be a bit dirty, most newer powder measures handle flake powder without trouble. For the load you're talking about, you really want a magnum shotgun powder, (most shotgun powders are pistol powders and vice versa), 2400 is one such powder. I might also recommend blue dot (I've loaded 300gr XTP's with this powder in .44mag) also HS-6 might be a good one.

Given a choice, with all other factors equal, I will take the powder that fills the case to the greatest amount. I believe that promotes more consistent burn and less position sensitivity.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top