JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question about powder coating cast bullets in styles that require a gas check.

I was planning on using a sizing die to seat the gas check (specifically I'm doing a 158gr SWC for 357 mag). However, the sizing die specifically states that you have to use lube or it will lead the die. I don't want lube on there as that will mess up the powder coating.

I can only see a couple options and wonder if anyone has worked through this.
First, I suppose I can lube then clean the lube off. I'm not even sure what I would use to clean off lube (I'd use ALOX as I have it).
Or, I could powder coat then size with the gas check over the coating. Would that seat properly? Would it rub off the coat? I'm not sure I'd want to powder coat the gas check itself anyway, but I suppose as long as it's doing its job...

Sorry if this has been covered already, I searched but to no avail.

He might cover it in one of his other videos. I would guess any decent case lube would work.
Lots of guys make their own from lanolin and isopropyl alcohol, it may have been that. This Ammunition and Reloading section has several mentions of it in different threads. Searching for "lanolin" should bring them up.
I like Hornady One-Shot for re-sizing and bet it would work fine for this. Easy to apply and no reason to remove it when you're done.

I've shot gas check type bullets that we're only coated, sized and then loaded without a check on them. I wasn't going for match grade accuracy, just range ammo. No issues whatsoever. There needs to be a good coating though, don't want exposed lead on the base.

I powder coat and then put the check on during sizing. Works great.

29074333-C7FD-439D-99FB-224CD9046AC4.jpeg

I have a question about powder coating cast bullets in styles that require a gas check.

I was planning on using a sizing die to seat the gas check (specifically I'm doing a 158gr SWC for 357 mag). However, the sizing die specifically states that you have to use lube or it will lead the die. I don't want lube on there as that will mess up the powder coating.

I can only see a couple options and wonder if anyone has worked through this.
First, I suppose I can lube then clean the lube off. I'm not even sure what I would use to clean off lube (I'd use ALOX as I have it).
Or, I could powder coat then size with the gas check over the coating. Would that seat properly? Would it rub off the coat? I'm not sure I'd want to powder coat the gas check itself anyway, but I suppose as long as it's doing its job...

Sorry if this has been covered already, I searched but to no avail.
You really don't need a gas check for .357 if you are powder coating. Are you casting and coating your own or buying commercial? If it was me I would save the gas checks for a traditional lubed bullet and cast and coat a plain based bullet for use without a gas check. I shoot tons of PC 158's at ~1500 fps with a plain base and no leading. Coat first then size and you don't need lube for sizing. If the PC is cured properly it won't rub off.

I'm casting my own. I have a bunch of gas checks for the 357 loads so I may as well, but just plan to pc all the other calibers.

I wonder if anyone has done accuracy comparisons with gas checks vs. without on pc bullets. It seems the copper may help with grabbing riflings. Maybe that's something to try.

BTW, the youtube channel above has lots of really good pc info.

Thanks all!

I'm casting my own. I have a bunch of gas checks for the 357 loads so I may as well, but just plan to pc all the other calibers.

I wonder if anyone has done accuracy comparisons with gas checks vs. without on pc bullets. It seems the copper may help with grabbing riflings. Maybe that's something to try.

BTW, the youtube channel above has lots of really good pc info.

Thanks all!
I have. For .357 it didn't make a noticable difference with pc. Not worth my effort. Now a bottle neck cartridge at higher velocities...totally different story. My experience is that with .357 even out of a 18" barrel running at 1800fps with a plain base bullet~15bhn the pc works like a charm all by itself. Same results with bevel based. Gas checks didn't seem to make a difference so I didn't bother getting a gas check mold. I did find the gas check helpful with traditional lubed projectiles at the top end of the .357. I've kind of gotten away from the traditionally lubed stuff because the powder coating seems to work so well and it's less messy and smokey.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top