Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Powder Coating Firearms

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by skydiver, Jun 11, 2012.

1. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

Would powder coating work on firearms?
    To start with, this thread is just for curiosity sake after watching another hot rod mechanic show praising the benefits of powder coating.
    I already know that Cerakote is fantastic, so let's not get into that debate.
    My guess is that it powder coating would be too thick.
    Just wondering.

2. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

I have seen barrels powdercoated UN blue for TNW Firearms locally produced, it can be pretty thick at times. These barrels where 9mm luger cal. and only part of the barrel-50% was powdercoat finished and only a third of the barrel lengh had rifleing. May have been a prototype. :)

3. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I would expect the thickness of the coating would cause tolerance issues with a good number of guns...

4. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

Powdercoating a firearm is just not practical. The serial numbers and an other nomenclature would disappear due to the thickness of the powdercoat. Any surface that mated with another surface could not be coated due to thickness.

Powdercoating is great for automotive parts, motorcycles, ATVs, park benches, medical oxygen bottles, etc. but not for firearms.

5. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member