JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is causing this? Somebody told me not enough crimp, but I'm pretty sure its crimped properly. This is 45acp using titegroup. I tried different (185-230gn.) bullets and powder charges and am still getting this mark.

358djjm.jpg

More info would help..... Do you see this with factory ammo? What velocities are you getting with your reloads? How many grains TG with the 230gr bullet? Have you measured the case mouth after crimping and if so, what did it read? Gun fired out of?

Ron

It sure as heck isn't crimp. They headspace on the case mouth and a FCD actually lessens neck tension. Neck tension is more likely.. you might have to watch your bell setting and or reduce the diameter of your flaring stud and if you're not flaring at all, neck tension is affected by brass, sizing die, bullet diameter and other things.
Also, It looks like a gallery load with that powder meaning it's not expanding the brass fully upon ignition . Many powders burn dirty with light to medium loads.

More info would help..... Do you see this with factory ammo? What velocities are you getting with your reloads? How many grains TG with the 230gr bullet? Have you measured the case mouth after crimping and if so, what did it read? Gun fired out of?

Ron

-I haven't shot factory ammo in years, but from what I remember, nope.
-I don't know about velocity I dont have a chrono.
-This case I think I shot a 200gn lswc w/5.4gn TG.

It sure as heck isn't crimp. They headspace on the case mouth and a FCD actually lessens neck tension. Neck tension is more likely.. you might have to watch your bell setting and or reduce the diameter of your flaring stud and if you're not flaring at all, neck tension is affected by brass, sizing die, bullet diameter and other things.
Also, It looks like a gallery load with that powder meaning it's not expanding the brass fully upon ignition . Many powders burn dirty with light to medium loads.

Hmm I was told about light loads will do this. I have shot 200gn lswc with TG from 4.3 - 5.5 with the same powder burn effect. Also when I first started to load lead boolits my flare was set for plated bullets so it was kinda tight, then I read that when loading lead, I needed a wider flare so in my case flare didn't do anything.

Looking at the load data, it would seem that those should be high enough to not have low pressure be the problem. I saw this on my .45 with certain loads and checked my crimp diameter and increased it to .473. The rounds still drop into my case gauge and barrel just fine and I don't have this issue at all even with lower powered loads. You might want to try a little less crimp and see if the rounds chamber ok.

Ron

Looking at the load data, it would seem that those should be high enough to not have low pressure be the problem. I saw this on my .45 with certain loads and checked my crimp diameter and increased it to .473. The rounds still drop into my case gauge and barrel just fine and I don't have this issue at all even with lower powered loads. You might want to try a little less crimp and see if the rounds chamber ok.

Ron

.473? Hmm I guess I'll have to try, I can see why this would probably work. I flare at .471 (no crimp) and it drops fine in my barrel snug fit, so it kinda creates a seal. Makes perfect sense, I just hope it works. I'm getting tired of scrubbing the chamber...

Could be wet or old powder? You are not burning all of the powder... in a perfect world there would be no unburnt powder...

The powder may be suspect.. try a different bottle

might also help to know what brand 1911 as it could also be the barrle because if it a good barrle but bad seating it should be almost even all the way around not in just a spot

I have had marks like that for years. For my go to plinking load is a 185gr lead SWC with 3.5 grains of Bullseye. 3.5 is a little light, but nice for plinking. If I load it to 4.5 grains the carbon marks go away and I have clean brass.

Ahh, TiteGroup--the oxy-acetyline of gun powders.
1) Low pressure. Case didn't expand to seal the chamber. Usually though, if you don't use a welding torch powder, you will only have some light gray soot on the case.
If somehow these are NOT low pressure, then determine what strange combination is keeping the cases from sealing the chamber, because we would like to know.
2)As mentioned, on of the hottest burning powders.
Personally, I prefer 231/HP38, AA2, Bullseye, Red Dot, Solo 1000, N320, Competition, Zip, Am. Select, or almost any other powder other than TiteGroup or Clays for .45, but that is just me.

My .45 loads look very similar with titegroup...I always assumed it was just a characteristic of titegroup being a bit dirty. I have put 1000s through my sr1911 and my hipoint 45 without issue.

Edit: Loads are 230gr Berrys plated RN over 4.6 gr of titegroup

Could be wet or old powder? You are not burning all of the powder... in a perfect world there would be no unburnt powder...

The powder may be suspect.. try a different bottle

Def. not wet/old. I will try a different bottle.

might also help to know what brand 1911 as it could also be the barrle because if it a good barrle but bad seating it should be almost even all the way around not in just a spot

This is happening in a RIA and a sr1911

Ahh, TiteGroup--the oxy-acetyline of gun powders.
1) Low pressure. Case didn't expand to seal the chamber. Usually though, if you don't use a welding torch powder, you will only have some light gray soot on the case.
If somehow these are NOT low pressure, then determine what strange combination is keeping the cases from sealing the chamber, because we would like to know.
2)As mentioned, on of the hottest burning powders.
Personally, I prefer 231/HP38, AA2, Bullseye, Red Dot, Solo 1000, N320, Competition, Zip, Am. Select, or almost any other powder other than TiteGroup or Clays for .45, but that is just me.

Tried using w231 with same results. 5.1 gn. behind 230gn plated bullet.

My .45 loads look very similar with titegroup...I always assumed it was just a characteristic of titegroup being a bit dirty. I have put 1000s through my sr1911 and my hipoint 45 without issue.

Edit: Loads are 230gr Berrys plated RN over 4.6 gr of titegroup

Shoots fine, I just hate cleaning the chamber.

classic case of insufficient pressure to seal the brass against the chamber.

I crimped as tight as .467 with different powder charges still same results.

This is happening in a RIA and a sr1911

I crimped as tight as .467 with different powder charges still same results.

if it was JUST the RIA i would say bad chamber but if its on the sr1911 as well i would say its the load
you say you
crimped as tight as .467
you should be going lighter not tighter
chamber is or should be 474 so you should have a light "crimp"
http://www.m1911.org/M1911-A1_REDUX.pdf
the factory Neck diameter on factory ball ammo is or should be .473 in (12.0 mm)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top