JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been thinking a little more about my 410 shotguns and how I could make them work better with brass cases. The problem with brass cases like 303, 444 Marlin etc is that the rims are to thick. I could attempt to remove some material off the rims but that would be required for every case. My latest idea is to ream out the chamber just a touch where the rim sits. This would mean that if I used a standard 410 shell that there could be a slight amount of play in between the breech face and the 410 shell. What complications might that present?

Edit: Before I try to remove any metal from chamber, I am going try and remove some material from the headstamp side of a brass case and see if that will allow full lock up. I was worried this would result in making the primer pocket too shallow. I can substitute large pistol primers in place of large rifle primers to eliminate that problem. Removing material from the headstamp side of the case is still work but should be much easier than trying to remove it from the front of the rim.

Last Edited:
Good lord aren't .303 brass way more expensive and hard to find then .410 shells? This seams like a good way to mess up a shotgun. If you modify the chamber you run the risk of loosing the ability to fire a .410 shell as the thing will slip forward and you might not get a good primer strike.

Good lord aren't .303 brass way more expensive and hard to find then .410 shells? This seams like a good way to mess up a shotgun. If you modify the chamber you run the risk of loosing the ability to fire a .410 shell as the thing will slip forward and you might not get a good primer strike.
I have 303 cases on hand. Would there be any other safety concerns?

My post:

You have to thin the rim on the top not headstamp side unless you can recut the primer pockets due to primer seat depth.

I wonder if a drill/drill press could be used with a hacksaw blade easier and better than a file?

My primer pocket unifomer wont go deep enough to make it happen.

I only use LPP.

A lot of folk wonder why anyone does this.

My thoughts:

I can use 7/8 dies and load without a shotgun press.

I get more case volume with brass which means I can load .390 buck in .410 (90 gr pellets instead of 50 gr 00 buck).

I come across cheap .303 brass whatnots from time to time and have no other use for them.

I like the little full length brass shotshells, there is something just sexy about them.

Because I can and its a labor of love.

My post:

You have to thin the rim on the top not headstamp side unless you can recut the primer pockets due to primer seat depth.

I wonder if a drill/drill press could be used with a hacksaw blade easier and better than a file?

My primer pocket unifomer wont go deep enough to make it happen.

I only use LPP.

A lot of folk wonder why anyone does this.

My thoughts:

I can use 7/8 dies and load without a shotgun press.

I get more case volume with brass which means I can load .390 buck in .410 (90 gr pellets instead of 50 gr 00 buck).

I come across cheap .303 brass whatnots from time to time and have no other use for them.

I like the little full length brass shotshells, there is something just sexy about them.

Because I can and its a labor of love.
Being able to use your standard press is a big reason to do this. Your write up on the conversion was great.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top