JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How would you feel about a law being passed which requires first-time gun buyers (with reciprocity to first-time buyers who purchased after, say, January 1, 1995) to attend a class?

This class would, preferably, be subsidized so that people can take it for cheap or free. This person would be provided with a certificate of completion that they could use to purchase a firearm either from a business or an individual. There can also be regulations to cover those who can prove ownership of a gun prior to 1995, as well as costs for those who do not intend to purchase a weapon.

The class would be taught by a certified professional and would focus on topics such as:

Gun safety - proper posture, proper respect (don't point at others, always treat as if loaded), proper storage and security, proper cleaning
How to shoot safely - Line-of-sight, back drop, general awareness of surroundings, a target-shooting period at the end of the class for your final certification
Self-defense laws - When are you legally allowed to shoot? What could be the consequences? What are the consequences if you fire when you shouldn't?
Carry laws - Open carry, concealed carry. What are the requirements? What are the laws governing? Crossing state lines? Reciprocity?
(anything additional you would add?)

Note: This would NOT count as a Hunter's Education course

I think this would eliminate a lot of problems that we see with guns today. Stolen guns being used in violent crimes? - proper storage and security (I know this will help very little, but it would still help). Accidental discharges (say, from a child finding) relating in deaths or serious injury? Proper storage and security. Backfires resulting in serious injury? - proper cleaning. Accidents on the range (God, we hope not)? - proper respect. Getting knocked off your feet from recoil (potentially shooting more rounds by accident)? - proper posture. The list goes on.

Just wondering what you guys would think of this.
I know gun control gets to be a pretty heated topic, so please, everyone be respectful of ALL opinions expressed.

EDIT: For those that don't read everything (I know I don't), I made this post about a 3rd of the way through the second page:

"So how about, instead of required..... the class was free to people who have purchased a firearm in the last 6 months? And at a reasonable fee (given the time of the instructor, cost of ammo, use of loaner weapons for those without their own, cleaning and maintenance of loaner weapons) for those who have not? Fair compromise?"

So is the current problem with accidental discharges and accidents occurring due to negligence? The problem is that there are criminals that use guns to commit crimes... No amount of training will prevent gun crimes.

Also, the gun grabbers are going after "assault weapons", or scary black rifles, because they look scary. In reality, annual gun deaths by rifles, scary black rifles are a subset of rifles, are lower than knife AND the "other" category. The "other" category, is not a gun or knife.

So what you're saying, is that all of the licensed drivers on the road are competent?

At one time they were deemed competent enough to earn a driver's license. If they prove not worthy of that priviledge by getting arrested then that's too bad for them. At least they have had proper training at some point.

Also note, that the people who are in favor of more training and tougher tests, don't want to set the bar so high that they can't personally reach it. They would much rather set the bar just below what they can do, because obviously, that's how proficient you should be. Anybody who can't shoot as good as they can is obviously a menace to society.

The next time somebody tells me some nonsense like that, I'll tell them sure, only I think you should shoot at least as good as me, and odds are that since I'm a fanatic, and I can easily outshoot you, no permit for you. On the new mandatory Correia Test, the permit holder has to be able to shoot at least Expert on an IDPA classifier, while wearing a backpack loaded with eighty pounds of cinderblocks, while teenagers pelt you with rotting fruit, and listening to Barry Manilow records... BACKWARDS! I figure that will take it down from 115,000 CCWs to where there are only about fifty or so people carrying guns in Utah. That should keep the riff-raff out. Because you know, then I would feel safe.

I don't think this is a good idea. The problem with "illegal" guns is that most of them are obtained through straw purchases. If I am a criminal, I can recruit my clean cousin to buy a gun for me. He would go through the safety course and get the certificate to make the purchase, and then hand the gun over to me when he gets home. The problem with most any new regulation is that it will only restrict law abiding owners and will have no effect on criminals.

Also note, that the people who are in favor of more training and tougher tests, don't want to set the bar so high that they can't personally reach it. They would much rather set the bar just below what they can do, because obviously, that's how proficient you should be. Anybody who can't shoot as good as they can is obviously a menace to society.

The next time somebody tells me some nonsense like that, I'll tell them sure, only I think you should shoot at least as good as me, and odds are that since I'm a fanatic, and I can easily outshoot you, no permit for you. On the new mandatory Correia Test, the permit holder has to be able to shoot at least Expert on an IDPA classifier, while wearing a backpack loaded with eighty pounds of cinderblocks, while teenagers pelt you with rotting fruit, and listening to Barry Manilow records... BACKWARDS! I figure that will take it down from 115,000 CCWs to where there are only about fifty or so people carrying guns in Utah. That should keep the riff-raff out. Because you know, then I would feel safe.

Maybe I should clarify.... the target shooting wouldn't be a judge of accuracy, it would be a judge of putting into practice those principles that have been taught - such as not pointing the muzzle towards anyone, proper posturing, having proper line-of-sight, etc.

As for the correlation between cars and guns mentioned as well..... there is no correlation. Gun ownership is a right, driver's license is a privilege. That being said, I know that this does infringe somewhat on our rights.... but wouldn't it be worth it if it saved just one innocent life? Or prevented just one mass shooting? If you are responsible gun owner, it should be no problem to pass. If you want a gun to look cool, the class might change your perceptions.

I don't think this is a good idea. The problem with "illegal" guns is that most of them are obtained through straw purchases. If I am a criminal, I can recruit my clean cousin to buy a gun for me. He would go through the safety course and get the certificate to make the purchase, and then hand the gun over to me when he gets home. The problem with most any new regulation is that it will only restrict law abiding owners and will have no effect on criminals.

I'm inclined to agree and disagree.... the shooting at Clackamas Town Center for example, the gunman stole an AR-15 from an acquaintance. I'm not saying this is a common occurrence, but it would potentially prevent thefts like that.

Wow..
so we are still chancing after making it bad for the good guy and good for the bad guy..

driving a car is not a constitutional right!

Guns are. Nothing further then the 2nd required.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top