JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My little brother in Oregon was filling a prescription at the pharmacy and was casually chatting about things and had just been informed that our government was now restricting potassium iodide.

Someone may want to confirm this.

SF-

Blitz, have you detected any radiation on your counter yet? I wish I could have gotten some, too late now.

I have a dosimeter deployed and I use a rad meter several times a day..Lacey area.. nothing reportable so far but Sacramento and Seattle have reported small increases in the last 24 hours

My little brother in Oregon was filling a prescription at the pharmacy and was casually chatting about things and had just been informed that our government was now restricting potassium iodide.

They're all over ebay and available to buy. So maybe someone just didn't know what they were talkin about to your bro. This stuff has an expiration date, so don't over stock it. Blitz, thanks for the update. I haven't eaten any of mine, figuring that the radiation from Japan is not an issue to me. I'll save it for a dirty bomb they let off in a container ship in my city or something severe like that.
Potassium Iodide items - Get great deals on Health Beauty, Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

My dad has been using a dosimeter and a rad meter down in the Salem area. Nothing yet.

The levels are so low unless you have VERY sophisticated equipment you won't be able to detect anything. UW reported yesterday the highest they recorded was 40,000 times below the level that would be a risk. Most warning equipment will not register anything until it gets near the danger level. At least the equipment issued to the military that I have been around works that way.

They're all over ebay and available to buy. So maybe someone just didn't know what they were talkin about to your bro. This stuff has an expiration date, so don't over stock it. Blitz, thanks for the update. I haven't eaten any of mine, figuring that the radiation from Japan is not an issue to me. I'll save it for a dirty bomb they let off in a container ship in my city or something severe like that.
I did a little browsing on Amazon a couple days in. Saw plenty still available, at reasonable prices, and I saw one place selling a 14 day blister pack for $134.00. I guess one man's misfortune is another's gain.

This stuff has an expiration date, so don't over stock it. Blitz, thanks for the update.

I have read that potassium iodide doesn't expire because it is stable but the manufacturers have to put one on there because it's a "drug", but even then it's many years away. My bottle says 2019 and I'd still take it in 2025.

Beware of 'fake' potassium iodide: FDA - Mar. 18, 2011

Worth sharing part of that link: "There are only three FDA-approved potassium iodide products that protect against radiation. The agency's website identifies them as Iosat, made by Anbex; ThyroSafe from Recipharm AB; and ThyroShield from Fleming & Co.

At all three companies, the products are currently out of stock, according to their websites. "

Potassium Iodide items - Get great deals on Health Beauty, Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

Ignore the expiration date if you have it stored cool and in the original containers. That's just an FDA requirement

At this time I would not take the iodine, but keep watch in case the Japan thing gets a lot worse

Beware of 'fake' potassium iodide: FDA - Mar. 18, 2011

Worth sharing part of that link: "There are only three FDA-approved potassium iodide products that protect against radiation. The agency's website identifies them as Iosat, made by Anbex; ThyroSafe from Recipharm AB; and ThyroShield from Fleming & Co.

At all three companies, the products are currently out of stock, according to their websites. "

Food grade potassium iodide crystals can be bought from chemical supply warehouses. You'll have to have an accurate scale and make some kind of small scoop out of a piece of hard wood or something. All you need is an 1/8th inch drill bit, keep drilling a little bit at a time till it holds the right dose. A 4 oz jar would save a very large family from a major disaster

Keep in mind that radioactive iodine is just one danger. You really need NBC suits, gas masks, rubber gloves and rubber boots or NBC or other galoshes. I do have British NBC suits for sale or trade in the non firearms forum here.. I used to sell these types of items and of course I'm also a prepper

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top