Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pot measure would not trump fed gun law

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. DMax

DMax Yamhill Well-Known Member

Give up your gun for a little blow WOW there is a tough choice. Unless your in the undecided group of voters :laugh:

rsmccsman and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Phather

Phather South SnoCo Active Member

That is, until the feds finally remove marijuana from schedule 1, which I foresee happening in the near future. This law wouldn't affect me however. :)

iamme and (deleted member) like this.
  4. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

I think you got your drug slang mixed up.

iamme, iceman, kd7vdb and 7 others like this.
  5. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

Passing a law to legalize pot will Give the Feds and police something to do, besides busting passive Hippies and bring home a fat pay check for doing so.
    Leaving them much more time to get after real criminals with hard dope. You know like the ones braking into our vehicles and homes every day.

6. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

This is incredibly old news.

This was all hashed out with the medical marijuana users.

Even if it's legal on the state level blah blah blah, the form is still federal blah blah blah, Federal form 4473 blah blah blah, obama will flip flop blah blah blah.

Because prohibition is cool.

7. rur862

rur862 Seattle Active Member

Post Deleted.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

I do not like some of the provisions either...but you do not have to worry about cops going around and taking your blood...they will have to take you to a hospital ER, and the ER will take your blood, and send it out for testing. I think this will happen only a couple of times before most LE agencies say...do not take the person to the ER...it is too expensive. The other option would be for the jurisdiction to hire a RN, and budgets are not going to allow for that either. It is not legal for someone that is not a licensed RN or higher (Dr.) to take blood.

9. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

One of the things that a lot of folks don't realize is the D9THC binds to fat. Back when I was doing drug testing, we would have guys that were on a fat burning diet they would have their THC levels go up when the fat burned off and released THC.

As far as the whole Harrison Act thing making marijuana illegal goes I could see the courts ruling on that both ways....not sure what the Supremes would say.

10. rur862

rur862 Seattle Active Member

Post Deleted.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

That won't go over real well.

12. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Actually no, can't be done. They have to arrest you to have your blood taken...once you have been arrested the jurisdiction is resoponsible for all of your medical care...that is why you hear of people being shot by an officer, taken to hospital for treatment by the EMTs...and then be arrested after they are ready to go to jail...that way the jurisdiiction is not responsible for the cost of the medical care.

13. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Can't they also do a marijuana test with saliva?

14. cally88

cally88 Portland Active Member

Actually this is not true. A medical assistant/CNA or an LPN can perform phelebotomy on patients.

15. Dave Workman

Well, it is actually "current events" because I-502 is on the November ballot and I think you would be surprised at the number of people who think that just because the state makes it legal, they're going to get a pass.

It's sort of like that nutty woman on election night 2008 in Chicago who told, I think it was an NBC news correspondent, that she would never have to worry about her house or car payments ever again.

16. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Measure 80 in Oregon is another state legalizing pot attempt. Wanting it to pass or not, the idea that the government allows two of the most destructive drugs every found to be legal yet for some reason ban everything else is just hypocritical and short sighted. If alcohol and tobacco were discovered today, they would all be banned. It is always amusing to watch people bash on pot and then turn around and drink a six-pack of Bud Light, then smoke a few Camels. Talk hypocritical behavior.

If someone wants to smoke pot, who cares. If they drive while under the influence toss the book at them, just like if someone drives while drunk. In Oregon it is a DUI, Driving while Under the Influence. I don't care what they are under the influence of, they drive they go to jail. Done.

Tax the hell out of it. Making it legal and making it like alcohol and tobacco and taxing it will not only save money, but make money. It will be cheaper, cleaner, and safer than having street thugs selling it. If you don't like POT, don't smoke it. Just like with alcohol and tobacco.

Just like with firearms, freedom means that you expect other people to be just as responsible for their own actions. We have way too many laws that are only in place because other people think you can't be responsible for your own actions.

Legalize it, tax it. Profit!

rur862, iamme, BlayzinDro and 5 others like this.
  17. westcoastal

westcoastal north coast of oregon Active Member

Good points there, Cali takes in a ton of dough off pot

18. Dave Workman

Well, whether there is a ton of revenue is kind of a side issue to it being poison for someone's gun rights if they are dumb enough to toke a joint every night and still walk around packing a gun, thinking the state legalization makes them immune from the federal law.

Maybe that's what bugs me personally about this measure. Those who are promoting it see it as a cash cow. That's the only reason, or at least the foremost reason, the pols seem to support it. They want the additional money. I don't think they give a rip about anything on the down side of this.

19. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

That seems to be more and more the case.

20. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Unfortunately these are the same types that will drink a six-pack of beer and then pack their pistol. If you are in an altered state, don't use your firearms!

For me the downside is no worse than alcohol or tobacco. Tobacco is directly the cause of 440,000 deaths a year in the US. 75,000 die each year from alcohol related actives. I don't drink nor do I smoke, I also won't smoke pot. But, far be it from me to stop someone from being stupid. Deaths from pot? Maybe 100 a year. It is pretty much impossible to Overdose. Unlike with alcohol. There could be cancer or other issues. We don't keep very good records. And of course if someone gets high, then drives, well they are ***-hats who deserve what they get, I only hope they don't harm anyone in the process. But this goes for alcohol as well.

What about the Up side? I don't have to pay for the 'criminals' who were caught for smoking a joint and being in jail on my dime. Now for the drug dealer who used to make everything tax free, either is driven out of business by the safer cheaper store down the street or opens his own store. You don't have some dealer cutting their weed with all sorts of crap, why? They can get sued now, they are responsible for their product like any other retail store. Those welfare people who sell drugs, you know because all of their money is under the table, all of a sudden have legal income and can get off of welfare. Or at least they wont' qualify now because they make too much money. Fewer people in the criminal system, more people making money and paying taxes.

Now, there will be people who try it for the first time as it is legal. OK. Fine. Some may get 'hooked' or addicted. But the opposite is true as well. It may not have as strong of lure on people as it won't be forbidden. And as for that BS of it being a gateway drug? Really? That lie was false when it was originally told. If was true, then the masses of people from the 60's and 70's would all be dead from cocaine and heroine overdoses. And they aren't.

Oh, and don't forget this also borders a state's rights vs the federal rights. Shouldn't states be able to legalize it? Hmm? The whole scheduling controlled substances through the CSA completely took authority away from the states. Talk about a BS move by the government to save the people from their selves.

Legalize it, tax it. Profit!