JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Judge rules that embedding a photo tweet is still copyright infringement

...when defendants caused the embedded Tweets to appear on their websites, their actions violated plaintiff's exclusive display right; the fact that the image was hosted on a server owned and operated by an unrelated third party (Twitter) does not shield them from this result.

In the be safe category, should this be blocked here.
Ie no embedding of Tweets ?

What about other sources?

Surely this ruling will be appealed

EFF
Federal Judge Says Embedding a Tweet Can Be Copyright Infringement

I appreciate you bringing this up. It definitely seems copyright issues are becoming more common again.

Honestly, I didn't think the software allowed embedded social media posts (just YouTube), but I could be wrong. Have you seen it and/or found a way to do it?

I was reading about a photographer, a pro, who had taken a picture which was news.
Someone tweeted out that picture
Then the news agencies shared the tweet
As a result, there was no attribution back to the source, and of course, no pay for the pro photog.

Google has had to remove a button in their image pages, view image, to force people to click thru to the original. That way they see the attributions etc.

Up to these cases, if you just used a link - then it was acceptable use. The original was still on Tweetere or where ever, the "Server"

I think this case will get appealed. Not sure what Google may do.

Unless, you, as an individual, have VERY deep pockets, copyrighting an image going on the "Net" is really a waste of time and energy.

I am not sure what you are getting at.

Any image you create is automatically yours - copyright.
You don't have to do anything else.
You can loose that if you don't defend it - example sending a take-down notification.

What has been the law, for some time, is that if a web site, say NWFA, links to an image - then that image is on the other server and no copyright violation has taken place.
If the web site copies the image, and hosts it, then ??? I am not sure.

What happened in the OP is that a guy who is a pro photog and thus watching for his images, got a "money shot" Some random dude Tweeted out the image. Now the image is on Twitter. And, because random dude had a good following, the image got shared - in news stories and other web locations. Meanwhile Pro-Photo dude is not getting any credit.

Now how the embedding and deep linking issue will be resolved, I don't know. I am confident the ruling will be appealed.

I have learned the hard way, that if someone posts an image on the Internet, they might as well kiss it good bye. The software is available to remove ALL types of copyright information from the image. And, Unless the individual who "Stole" the image is in the USA the chances of Recovering anything is just about Nill. Our Laws(especially those involved with copyrighting) do a fair job of protecting our property. But, and it's a VERY BUT, if the individual who steals an image off the Internet isn't living in the USA, it will be a Very hard and COSTLY and Time Consuming project Recovering anything - especially, damages.

If that's Not clear enough, then I don't know what to tell you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top