JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The recent death of the Good Samaritan in Colorado prompted Greg Ellifritz to write the below article on how to avoid being killed after such an incident.

If you're not familiar with Greg, he is a former Ohio police officer, highly respected firearms instructor, and prolific writer on all things firearms and tactics.

Be safe out there! :)

I've written about the danger of being shot by responding officers after intervening in an active killer attack many times, but I've never given precise guidelines about how to handle the post-shooting procedures in order to reduce the chance of being mistakenly killed. This article describes exactly what you should consider doing to keep from being killed by other first responders during an active killer attack.

Overall some good tips. Thanks for posting.

Ken Hackathorn shared some wisdom on the Wilson Combat channel about ready positions and how they could be perceived by witnesses and officers. Think it can relate to these situations. LINK

Super kudos @Lennie for posting both of these videos together (and not the usual "don't talk to the police" video that has been posted on NWFA about 50 times now). Hadn't seen this one.

So I'll start with it's a free country and everyone can do as they please related to this topic. I'll share my perspective. For the video with Ayoob, I was attending that same class with John Correa. It was the Deadly Force Instructor class which is essentially an instructor level deep dive into the topics from MAG-40. Correa has another interview with an attorney where he counters Ayoob's video as well. All of these are good perspectives to view.

What you don't get to see is that the 12 minute video from Ayoob is backed by about 30 hours of the "why" in this very nuanced topic. Having worked as and LEO, retired from an been involved teaching officers for round about 36 years now, I appreciate what the attorneys say, but side with Ayoob, especially after reading his and Andrew Branca's books and taking two classes from Ayoob on the topic.

I don't have a statistic but folks (especially people that sell use of force legal assistance plans) make it sound like everyone that defends themselves with a gun gets arrested. Based on my experience this is simply not the case. Almost never (there are a few) when I read an article about a DGU the good guy does not get arrested or even eventually charged with anything.

One case, George Zimmerman. Almost certainly because he talked with the police he was not convicted. He established his injuries and the dynamic about the encounter. Without this I believe he had almost no chance of being acquitted. Attorneys generally represent guilty people, and for guilty people, shut up is great advice. I've had more than a few innocent people who did not get arrested or charged because they talked and shared their side of the story.

The attorney makes some great points, I think the most important being there is a fine line between talking to establish you are the good guy and help point out evidence in your favor that could be missed, and talking too much. The only way to get better at this is by studying, practicing and thinking how you would do this (hint, just saying, "I was in fear for my life," is not what you should be practicing) and giving this aspect of DGU the attention that it deserves. Thanks for starting the thread @L84Cabo !

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top