JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...a lighting tip....

So the basement is pretty....basic. Just a "cellar" with a concrete floor that is the foundation for the house.
Ceiling is actually the underside of the floor above it. Rafters and underlamen, some wiring. That's it.
Only lights down there were a couple of incandescent sockets that did little for lighting up the room, so dad decided to do something about that.
He grabbed a couple of shop lights and hung them in more advantageous areas in the basement and they did do a better job of lighting things up.
….but it was still a bit dark down there. The light didn't spread very much.
His solution......

0_1111191249-00.jpg 0_1111191247-00.jpg

...cut a sheet of plywood in half and them cut down the sides a little.
Paint them with gloss white latex and screw them into the rafters, above where the lights are mounted.
Works very well!
The light spreads out a surprising distance and two light, that are sort of "around the corner" from each other do a pretty fair job of lighting up that side of the basement (the other side is more for storage and not used much, so its lit a little differently.
I remembered this lesson and many years later, when it came time to replace one of the outside light fixtures for the back porch, I opted for a shop light that didn't have a "hood".... 0_1111191252-00.jpg

...REALLY lights up that whole part of the property!
The stringer you see supporting all those ribs is a 2x8 and it does a nice job of shading the glare from that light from blinding us, as there are 3 picture windows just to the left of what you see here.
Anyway, there you go.
If you have a "lighting intensity" problem and am considering more lighting, think about brightening up the area above the light.
Can really do wonders.

Dean

Last Edited:
I had a little fun making knives out of farriers rasps and files in my garage.
Completely deboned 2 antelopes with the little one
The one on the top is the most important to me. I made it for my grandfather a few years back out of an old Nicholson file he always used to sharpen shovels and other tools. The bolster and handle are made from some of his old junk too.
The big one is my attempt at a Bowie style knife out of a farriers rasp. 724DE00E-5CD8-4F06-833D-4DEBF33AC945.jpeg

I had a little fun making knives out of farriers rasps and files in my garage.
Completely deboned 2 antelopes with the little one
The one on the top is the most important to me. I made it for my grandfather a few years back out of an old Nicholson file he always used to sharpen shovels and other tools. The bolster and handle are made from some of his old junk too.
The big one is my attempt at a Bowie style knife out of a farriers rasp. View attachment 633909

Now that's some cool shiot right there . . . .

Is it permissible to making a workspace, made something?:p
I've had this cabinet, what, three months and now & just now getting around to screwin it to the wall.
90% of getting this room done was figuring out where I wanted to put stuff!!!!
Did I mention that I hate to redo anything? Well if not, I do. LOL:D

83FC085F-9B48-4272-9DC1-7EC7520506B3.jpeg

Is it permissible to making a workspace, made something?:p
I've had this cabinet, what, three months and now & just now getting around to screwin it to the wall.
90% of getting this room done was figuring out where I wanted to put stuff!!!!
Did I mention that I hate to redo anything? Well if not, I do. LOL:D

View attachment 644723
Permission granted. Well done Mr. Jim! I see clean guns in your future!

Nice looking kitchen Heywood. I think you did a stellar job. :s0155:
Reminds of the time I worked as an inside carpenter and I was asked to help one of the more experienced carpenters on a kitchen install.
We muscled cabinets just like those up on the wall (the ones we had must've weighed over 100 lbs. each!), then I had to hold it up there, while the carpenter....looked....for....the....screws.....:confused::mad::s0118:

re Mt. Borah: Congratulations on your success. I've never made it past 'Chicken Out Ridge', and that's on just the yootoob video version of the trip.
Lol! Thanks! Im getting older. I was telling myself over and over why do I have my wife up on this ridge. I guess I really love her a lot. And I was nervous. As I younger guy I'd just rip up that thing. Not now..
We will be doing Table Rock on the Tetons in August in 2020. Trying to climb at least 1 good mountain each summer now.
For reference this is chicken out ridge. Worst than this looks in picture.

725E6BDA-D06B-4CCA-9CB7-2CB500ECD768.jpeg

A few years ago one of my old grade school buddies announced to the Annual picnic that in celebration of our group's 50th high school reunion he made that Mt. Borah "scramble". Cheers to you & the missus. :s0073:I'll be in camp holding down the fort.

A few years ago one of my old grade school buddies announced to the Annual picnic that in celebration of our group's 50th high school reunion he made that Mt. Borah "scramble". Cheers to you & the missus. :s0073:I'll be in camp holding down the fort.
I'd like to be able to make the climb at 68. But that won't be as easy. I'm 46 now.
Coming down was more painful.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top