JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Scratch built 1/24 scale VW thing.
Built from straight styrene tube and rod, scabbed parts from various kits, and even some real automotive parts used.
This is pre firearm hobby.lol

100_3415.JPG 100_3387.JPG 100_3413.JPG 100_3284.JPG

I'm a plant engineer for a chemical plant. Out here in the stix we use evaporative wastewater ponds for non hazardous waste. We spray it up in the air and it evaporates. Easy to do in the desert in the summer. Not so easy in the winter. I looked into a few options to speed things along but the costs for a propane fired forced evaporator unit were into the $150K range and would only evaporate about 1000 gallons a day. That would keep us out of trouble in the winter but not by much. I decided to build a steam fired unit that lay in the bottom of a transfer station to boil off the tank cleaning water etc. using the 800 HP boiler I bought last year. I had 200 foot of schedule 80 pipe installed in the transfer pit with a condensate trap feeding condensate back to our 800 HP boiler. I also designed a external float system to control the steam solenoid that feeds the coils and the pump that transfers waste water to the evaporative pond. So, in the end the unit evaporates off 1000 Gallons per hour . We run it a few hours in the morning and allows us to put off or completely eliminate costly pond expansion to expand the business. Also installed in the system are two high volume fans that pull vapor from the production area trenches and keep the production area air clean. Very pleased with this and consider it a major feather in the hat.

vape.jpg

Sprayed red sealer on this today. I had to spray red sealer to prevent bleed through of the black primer. Candy red will be the final color with holographic gold flake in clear for the rally stripes..

M0BIef.jpg

A year ago...

eS3OCf.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm a plant engineer for a chemical plant. Out here in the stix we use evaporative wastewater ponds for non hazardous waste. We spray it up in the air and it evaporates. Easy to do in the desert in the summer. Not so easy in the winter. I looked into a few options to speed things along but the costs for a propane fired forced evaporator unit were into the $150K range and would only evaporate about 1000 gallons a day. That would keep us out of trouble in the winter but not by much. I decided to build a steam fired unit that lay in the bottom of a transfer station to boil off the tank cleaning water etc. using the 800 HP boiler I bought last year. I had 200 foot of schedule 80 pipe installed in the transfer pit with a condensate trap feeding condensate back to our 800 HP boiler. I also designed a external float system to control the steam solenoid that feeds the coils and the pump that transfers waste water to the evaporative pond. So, in the end the unit evaporates off 1000 Gallons per hour . We run it a few hours in the morning and allows us to put off or completely eliminate costly pond expansion to expand the business. Also installed in the system are two high volume fans that pull vapor from the production area trenches and keep the production area air clean. Very pleased with this and consider it a major feather in the hat.

View attachment 430026
I think your cap deserves a feather. And maybe a fat raise. Wow and I was all proud of my home made cartridge trays and the jig I had to make to get the holes uniformly spaced lol.

20180217_075654.jpg 20180218_120856.jpg 20180218_121842.jpg

Sprayed this today. Base with a couple of layers of clear. Next week I'll sand it and lay down the Z/28 stripe stencils and spray clear with a helping of holographic gold flake for the stripes. Then clear over the hood and trunk again, another week and then sand for final paint to the rest of the car and lots of clear in the booth. Cant do the whole car in my garage. Just preliminary base work. Real PITA keeping the dust down in there.

u4RDeQ.jpg

5D0i0o.jpg

Not exactly off-topic since it's gun related but it's something I designed and made in my own shop. A .22 conversion kit for the 1911 that only replaces the barrel and the magazine. It uses the original .45 slide and spring. When installed, the only original parts not in the gun are, yup, the barrel and the magazine. It totally functions as original (except for recoil and cost) and locks open on the last shot (most of the time. .22 being not all that consistent). Anyway, an interesting project. I'd hoped to market it but just as I was finishing up the prototype, .22RF became real scarce and sorta took the wind out of my sails so on to other projects.
View attachment 416030
The barrel was cut from barstock and rifled.
View attachment 416032

I had the magazine flat laser cut to my drawing then made a bunch of forming tools to fold it up in my little press brake.
View attachment 416033

Then spot welded it with my Harbor Freight spot welder with custom electrodes I made.View attachment 416038

Having proven a full-function .22 conversion could be done without making new aluminum slides etc. I had hoped to market the idea and be able to work on another of *too-many ideas*. No such luck so far :(

How has this project come since? That looks fascinating!

Got it home. I'll give it a week or more until I sand and buff it. If I didnt very few people would n
know. Turned out pretty good. Need to put it all back together now.

uovqIf.jpg
2RfyiL.jpg
L2u4CV.jpg
nHWeJn.jpg
zU0Upi.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show