JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've just remembered this old thing I cobbled together many years ago. It's supposed to be a Queen Anne pocket pistol with a turn-off barrel with German silver fittings.

View attachment 381228
View attachment 381229
View attachment 381230

Needless to say, this being UK, it's not possible to make it to shoot, legally, so the touch-hole is not drilled. If I DID want to shoot it, it would have to be proofed at the Birmingham Proof House, and registered to me as a replica BP single-shot pistol of .50cal.

Just like it was a Barratt M109........:rolleyes:

tac
That's sweet tac. I have been wanting to make myself a brace of pirate pistols that can fire.

I am not a carpenter by any means but, I decided to try my hand at building a nice entryway (I spose the snobby types would call it a foyer) with a floating bench for my wife.View attachment 393654 View attachment 393655
I am also working on a solid slab maple burl table and benches. Made from the same 13' center slab of the tree. Here is the first bench to the set.
View attachment 393664 View attachment 393665 View attachment 393666
That looks amazing! What did you coat the burl with? Polyurethane?

I'm not handy with tools but damn I'm good with this stuff..

Wifey and I busted out the equivalent of 96 ½ pints of jam tonight in 5 hours.

Before being married she had never done anything related to this... :eek:

L-R
Blackberry & Raspberry
Raspberry & Strawberry
Raspberry
Strawberry

Picked from the farm, canned at home. Nothing beats simple and fresh ingredients.

View attachment 377074 View attachment 377115
Now that freaked me out. Thought I was looking at my own breakfast bar in the kitchen until I noticed we have the rounded edges. Homemade jam is awesome. 20170926_142439.jpg

That looks amazing! What did you coat the burl with? Polyurethane?
Thank you. Believe it or not, but this portion of the slab is the least figured. I wanted to get the most practice with the ugliest piece. The table top is 100% burl I like to keep things as natural and unsynthetic as possible so I decided against all custom and logic to try my hand at a "traditional" French polish.
A few coats old school boiled linseed oil over a couple weeks and then rubbed the hell out of it with shilac until I got a nice coat. Took a few tries to get it to work. Right. I did the entire thing completely by hand, zero power tools.
I filled in all the voids with 100% real turquoise that I ground with a morter and pestle. Didn't have the money to buy the pre ground up stuff..

Last Edited:
Thank you. Believe it or not, but this portion of the slab is the least figured. I wanted to get the most practice with the ugliest piece. The table top is 100% burl I like to keep things as natural and unsynthetic as possible so I decided against all custom and logic to try my hand at a "traditional" French polish.
A few coats old school boiled linseed oil over a couple weeks and then rubbed the hell out of it with shilac until I got a nice coat. Took a few tries to get it to work. Right. I did the entire thing completely by hand, zero power tools.
I filled in all the voids with 100% real turquoise that I ground with a mortise and pestle. Didn't have the money to buy the pre ground up stuff..
Linseed oil is great for that! I use linseed oil, butcher's block (for heavy water contact) and also danish oil when I am refinishing knives with Jake. They come out looking good. These ones Jake sanded and I finished came from our parents wedding knife block and have butcher's block rub on the handles.
image.jpg

I've had a marine cutting board finished for a couple months but just spent the last 2 days, off & on getting it mounted in the boat.
When it was all said and done I stood back & thought to myself, man that looks like a friggin geriatric walker but it is detachable & if I want to I can add some extensions & make it a walker!!!
20170927_193706.jpg Oh well it is going to save my back from now on when I cut bait & rig all the rods for the boat.;) 20170927_193752.jpg 20170927_193731.jpg

I've had a marine cutting board finished for a couple months but just spent the last 2 days, off & on getting it mounted in the boat.
When it was all said and done I stood back & thought to myself, man that looks like a friggin geriatric walker but it is detachable & if I want to I can add some extensions & make it a walker!!!
View attachment 394037Oh well it is going to save my back from now on when I cut bait & rig all the rods for the boat.;)View attachment 394028 View attachment 394039

Now you need to put a rod holder on each corner of it and get rid of the one on the motor. Once that's done, we'll have to get Jimmy C. to pony up for the "2 pole endorsement", so we can run 6 rods from now on, that way nothing will get passed us.
smileys-fish-715930.gif

Ray

here's something I made....or possibly prepped for winter season....
I made my wood shed full. Again.

A little less orderly than usual, it is stuffed with well seasoned old growth largish chunks of apple, locust wrist size chunks, a lot of ash/white oak, a medley of various brush treelings, a bunch of free range cherry, from wrist to thigh size, a cord or so of some unidentified soft wood as a surprise convenience a buddy hauled over, a larger than usual ready kindling stash of 140 running feet of old 4" cedar fencing, various fir/spruce/bark/plum/ bits & pieces.

This 'Duke's mixture' is the most eclectic species list I've collected for decades. And it's all either pre-split or stove size before going in the stacks.

I was too busy to move the little green trailer out of the way.

IMG_1634.jpg

Now you need to put a rod holder on each corner of it and get rid of the one on the motor. Once that's done, we'll have to get Jimmy C. to pony up for the "2 pole endorsement", so we can run 6 rods from now on, that way nothing will get passed us.
View attachment 394279

Ray

Excellent idea Ray but JC is such a tightwad & he has vowed not to get one because, in his own words, "I'm a one arm man"!!! :eek::eek::eek::p

Star Wars kit bashes and scratch-built hull on black gunship, and repaint of X-wing in colors similar to the Partisan group X-wings from Rogue One.
Black gunship uses ARC-170 wing and engine units with hemisphere nose cones added to them, and 4 X-wing cannons on the scratch built hull with greeblies from various stuff. This was the most extensive build of the three.
Blue /gray dispruptive camouflaged fighter is an ARC 170 hull with X-wing units mated to it. Required some cutting and two donor X-wing models for the wing/engine units due to the extra width of the ARC hull. Scratchbuilt the hinges and the cockpit details, including a gunner station with computer display, and a rear sensor camera package in place of original tail gunner, both of which were sourced from a 1/48 Apache lol
Yes I am aware of just how huge the ARC-170 Wings are compared to the X-wings' units..

20161002_222957.jpg 20170422_191038.jpg 20170422_190748.jpg 20161013_101019.jpg 20170414_133014.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top