JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I sent off to CMP for another Garand about 5 weeks ago. I asked for a postwar H&R and I included a little donation for the CMP. It will be a nice Christmas present to myself if it happens.

Nice I hope get a nice functioning one.

Thank you. As you and I talked once my first one was a lemon which required several fixes. It went full auto on me once, which was both startling and fun. Then the firing pin broke (snapped). The rear sight assembly would not hold zero (stripped), the front sight assembly came loose (also stripped), and the gas plug also went loose at the range. After investing in parts and tools, which are not especially cheap, it now runs well. For a minute there I really considered the rifle might be haunted and I should leave it be. More than likely it was built on a Friday afternoon or someone had a hot date.

Thank you. As you and I talked once my first one was a lemon which required several fixes. It went full auto on me once, which was both startling and fun. Then the firing pin broke (snapped). The rear sight assembly would not hold zero (stripped), the front sight assembly came loose (also stripped), and the gas plug also went loose at the range. After investing in parts and tools, which are not especially cheap, it now runs well. For a minute there I really considered the rifle might be haunted and I should leave it be. More than likely it was built on a Friday afternoon or someone had a hot date.
They need good maintenance to keep them in top form but once they are there under normal use of plinkers they should last forever

you know the sun is out and I have chores to do
but someone had to start this conversation on the Garand

this is a very early S.A. Garand with a serial number under 600,000, which makes it early '42 production
I purchased it from the family of the original civilian owner after he passed back in the late '80
the owner was a Korean War Marine veteran who had the rifle since the '50s
they had no idea what it was and I got it for a great price ( you know this is an old WW2 rifle and probably isn't safe to shoot)
you will note the early T-bar rear sight, milled trigger guard and early gas tube
trigger is a WRA
it was rebarreled in '52 and the wood does not match all around
chamber and bore are pristine and crown undamaged from steel cleaning rods
I know the sling is not period correct for 1942, but that's what came on it
I don't fire it much, since I prefer my .308 Garand

20201120_111249.jpg 20201120_111311.jpg 20201120_112003.jpg

I purchased it from the family of the original civilian owner after he passed back in the late '80
the owner was a Korean War Marine veteran who had the rifle since the '50s
they had no idea what it was and I got it for a great price ( you know this is an old WW2 rifle and probably isn't safe to shoot)

This has always been a sore subject for me. While I had a few opportunities to do this, take advantage of the seller because they had no idea what they have, I also thought how I would feel if the roles were reversed. I like a deal, but also can afford fair market prices, so morality wins for me here. Yes, everyone is an adult and makes their own decisions, seller included, but if someone came to you and asked "I have this old rifle, not sure what' it's worth, would you like to buy it maybe?" would you (general "you" as in the forum) just feed them BS to get a great deal?

This has always been a sore subject for me. While I had a few opportunities to do this, take advantage of the seller because they had no idea what they have, I also thought how I would feel if the roles were reversed. I like a deal, but also can afford fair market prices, so morality wins for me here. Yes, everyone is an adult and makes their own decisions, seller included, but if someone came to you and asked "I have this old rifle, not sure what' it's worth, would you like to buy it maybe?" would you (general "you" as in the forum) just feed them BS to get a great deal?
the widow of the owner told me she was glad it was going to someone who would appreciate it and not to the pawn shop, which was her second choice
I paid her $350 in '1989, which I felt was a fair price, but not market price, but I had no idea if it even worked at the time
the lubriplate was hardened up in the receiver and I couldn't easily cycle the bolt and the trigger wouldn't reset
no, I don't feel bad about this deal

when I pass, I know the vulture will be gathering to purchase my collection, since my wife know nothing about firearms

Just to be clear, I didn't assume you did anything to take advantage of them, I just stated that opportunities like that come up and different people behave differently.

My direction is to have my collection as my funeral pyre, right on top of my sailboat after its painted like a Viking ship and set on Puget Sound! That, or sent to GunBroker, whatever is easier....

the widow of the owner told me she was glad it was going to someone who would appreciate it and not to the pawn shop, which was her second choice
I paid her $350 in '1989, which I felt was a fair price, but not market price, but I had no idea if it even worked at the time
the lubriplate was hardened up in the receiver and I couldn't easily cycle the bolt and the trigger wouldn't reset
no, I don't feel bad about this deal

when I pass, I know the vulture will be gathering to purchase my collection, since my wife know nothing about firearms

understood
but in my 70 years of life, I have never paid full or list price for anything - except new firearms, since the margins are so small
it seems to be one of the few products people are willing to pay list for
I could even negotiate with Big 5 on old Mosins
I'm sure none of you paid list for your cars or paid the first offer on a home, even home electronic are negotiated
negotiation is part of our culture

but - let's get back to Garands and other WW2 firearms

Some people don't need the money and don't care if they lose a few bucks as long the hassle is over. Like people who trade in their cars for whatever they're offered without haggling or giving it a second thought.

I am personally not in this category.. but I know people who are. The other day at ARPC a gentleman was showing me a Marlin bolt-action rifle his friend just gave him. His friend was not a shooter or collector and could care less.

I'm sure none of you paid list for your cars or paid the first offer on a home, even home electronic are negotiated
negotiation is part of our culture

but - let's get back to Garands and other WW2 firearms

I've only bought one house, don't remember the asking price, but I know they accepted my first offer.

Because 1 is a lonely number ...

The upper Carbine is one I bought from a NWFA post, as a box of parts. Just put her together during a break between Zoom meetings :)

90EBD51C-DE26-4AA7-B785-4FC79B49F6F9.jpeg

Last Edited:
Figured I'd finally post my new K98k. It's my first WWII era firearm. I've been researching K98k's for months now and have been patiently trying to find an all matching, legitimate rifle. The used market is a minefield for fakes, but luckily there are some great resources out there for new collectors like me. This is definitely not going to be my last K98k (already have another lined up).

1937 J.P. Sauer & Sohn S/147, s/n 1848i
All matching down to the screws, non duffle cut, non import marked. The only drawback is some light sanding near the rear plate (luckily didn't remove the cartouches).

5DFD34D2-0522-4305-92BB-2DC2730F3898.jpeg 8DBF7604-38AB-49B4-85B4-90E52C1D8090.jpeg 8F3B5CF9-C04E-4246-8555-81A915455641.jpeg 8099CDEC-149C-4CFB-A883-DDB91CC6E18E.jpeg 74376D88-B4A0-4795-818E-BE96CEB4BC11.jpeg 478112FE-DB20-4231-A051-26795357ACAF.jpg B7F5616B-4DD9-4C70-A807-44E1B26CB247.jpeg C82DBF1B-E9D8-43A4-9739-3BC210DF5215.jpeg D93D144B-C1EA-41FB-B690-F5C0F228BA63.jpeg F7733BE7-0479-41A3-A1EF-E9573A64C491.jpeg A8789E58-F151-4CD5-A2D6-306F300A2151.jpeg 9ABF8038-9098-4B45-B606-08780B26C567.jpeg 16AC5D68-9CAC-453F-903F-3386F0D39AD1.jpg 25C747B6-C3F4-4A14-986E-9ABB7CA460B2.jpeg 422505C1-30E2-4925-8BAC-1EFF7140C1AE.jpeg E12357E9-B705-4B3A-851E-EBA40BDF88F1.jpeg F8D005FB-7BC1-4924-A92A-6B579EBB05C1.jpg

Another post reminded me of these three. None original snipers as all are recovered sporterized guns. Just got the far left 03a3 done need to go shoot it. Barrel was replaced as old one was bad. Wife says I have a problem! I tell her its my historical duty to save old rough sporterized springfields:cool:

20201018_153556.jpg

I have 2 03s... and one of them is a recovered sporter Remington, the second a SC. Hmm, making it a 04 replica would be nice, but I'm assuming the redfield mount requires drilling, right?

Another post reminded me of these three. None original snipers as all are recovered sporterized guns. Just got the far left 03a3 done need to go shoot it. Barrel was replaced as old one was bad. Wife says I have a problem! I tell her its my historical duty to save old rough sporterized springfields:cool:

View attachment 782634

Your personal morals are the most important thing at the end of the day. I recently sold my 2016 Tacoma to a dealer for a lot, but had another dealer offer $2000 more than what I had agreed upon with the other dealer. I asked the original dealer to come up $1000 to meet in the middle since I had told them I'd sell to them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top