JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
this is a 1932 Izhevsk Mosin 91/30
got it at Big 5 back in the Day for $160
talked the guy down because the stock was spliced
then I found out these "Russian Splices" are rare, since most stocks were replaced post War

View attachment 760701 View attachment 760702 View attachment 760703

I bought a $99 91/30 at Big-5 some years back. When I got it home and looked at it much closer I saw signs that looked like some holes had been drilled in the side of the receiver and then welded closed. I was irritated that I'd bought a piece of junk that Bubba had messed with, but it looked like it had been done long ago and reblued.

Then I found out about ex-snipers... :)

Say- I just realized, isn't it about time for the "garbage rod" Mosin-hater club to show up? :rolleyes:

(Just to avoid confusion- I don't hate Mosins; I have 7 or 8 of them myself. I like them for what they are- a piece of history. I've just found that some people out there have an inordinate amount of hate for them, and I've never really understood why.)

Last Edited:
Here is a M39 with a wartime straight stock. It is definitely wartime production but I don't know if it was one of the original 6000 put on the first rifles in 1940 or a replacement. It came to me on a 42'. Notice the reinforcement plug. There is one on each side.

854196EC-3BB6-4C95-9AC6-46B719048D41.jpeg AD1E6DEA-1BBD-4554-ABFE-10FFE9256D28.jpeg D99FA792-2104-4927-9105-917F504272A5.jpeg 4FE98AE3-0AFA-4F5C-AA62-C586E2AB13E0.jpeg

I am very familiar with the history and own a SIG barreled M28 along with a M27 and a handful of M39's.
You stated that yours was Sako made. Do you have Sako markings on the metal? Is your serial number in the first 900?
I bought a $99 91/30 at Big-5 some years back. When I got it home and looked at it much closer I saw signs that looked like some holes had been drilled in the side of the receiver and then welded closed. I was irritated that I'd bought a piece of junk that Bubba had messed with, but it looked like it had been done long ago and reblued.

Then I found out about ex-snipers... :)

Say- I just realized, isn't it about time for the "garbage rod" Mosin-hater club to show up? :rolleyes:
I have an ex-sniper also, but I paid premium for it - $250
mine is a 1936 Tula with C N sniper select markings, holes drilled in the top of the receiver
it was fully shimmed, with floating barrel and a Finn style 2 stage trigger
it also had a short post front sight since it was not intended to be used with a bayonet
still one of my better shooters

P1030654.JPG P1030653.JPG P1030660.JPG Mosin what's not to love.jpg

Contrary to the common belief that the M39 saw a lot of duty in WW2, the M27 did most of the heavy lifting as far as Finn bolt action rifles were concerned.
Yes and no. Early on the m/27 was more common. Ultimately about twice as many m/39 rifles were produced though, of which a large number were in service before the war ended. Both rifles were dwarfed by the number of m/91 rifles though, which were the primary long arm in Finnish service through the 1950s.

Yes and no. Early on the m/27 was more common. Ultimately about twice as many m/39 rifles were produced though, of which a large number were in service before the war ended. Both rifles were dwarfed by the number of m/91 rifles though, which were the primary long arm in Finnish service through the 1950s.
and in the Finn Army this was true, but since the Civil Guard was privately funded, most of them, including young Simo Hayha owned and maintained their own rifles. Local Ladies Auxiliaries helped raise fund for their local Civil Guard units to purchase M28s. When SAKO offered the upgrade to the M28-30, individual soldiers and local communities funded these upgrades
Simo scored 219 of his kills with his personal M28, but was presented with a custom M28-30 by the Finn government in Feb, 1940

A 1934 28/30 went for about $600 a wee ago on Gunbroker. The seller had it misdescribed.

That's a good way to save money if you're patient and really comb through the ads. Poor descriptions, or bad photographs can also work in your favor, if you follow up with very specific questions. It's worked for me a few times.

That's a good way to save money if you're patient and really comb through the ads. Poor descriptions, or bad photographs can also work in your favor, if you follow up with very specific questions. It's worked for me a few times.
I agree and have used your methods. Then sometimes you you roll the dice on gun you may think the seller hiding something but in the end he is as just lazy with images or doesn't know better.

Looking for a little help here, and this is the group to ask. My brother in law just bought this from our ex-brother in law (they're good friends) and it was represented as something else, which it is not.

But, besides being a Mauser, what the heck is it? I asked for pictures of any markings and he said this was it!
output.jpg vmacocss05_1190608293149-1-IMG951473.jpg output (2).jpg output (3).jpg output (1).jpg

1947 Fazakerley No. 5 Mk. I. Matching bolt and receiver. Lightening cuts have been verified.

The "Jungle Carbine" was used in the Battle of Arnhem (Holland 1944) and in the Pacific. This is obviously a postwar example but it is in excellent condition.

No 5 Mk I_10-16-20.jpg No 5 Mk I_10-16-20B.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top